• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kittens 2018 Preview

Griz til I die

DONOR
With all the cat fans that have been invading our board this week, I thought I’d skip over a couple of teams this week and do the kitties. Once again, all eyes will be on Chris Murray this year to determine what kind of season they will have.
VS. Western Illinois- L
@ South Dakota State- L
VS. Wagner- W
@ Portland State- W
VS. Eastern Washington- L
VS. Idaho- W, but super close
@ Weber State- L
@ Idaho State- W
VS Cal Poly- W
VS. Northern Colorado- W
@ Montana- L
My prediction: 6-5. Most likely not good enough but in previous years the committee has been nice enough to let a 6-5 team in the playoffs. So the kitties will improve and have a winning record this year, but will miss the playoffs for the fourth year in a row.

I see 4-7 ...with wiggle room with the Griz and ISU so def losing season...best best case 6-5

Cat Griz being in Missoula with the return of Bobby...I could see him trying to hang 80 on them for his return to dominance game. lol

Western Ill----L
@SDSU-----L
WAGNER---W
@PSU---W
EWU---L
IDAHO---L
@WEBER---L
@ISU---L
CAL---W
NCU----W
@GRIZ----L

Griz til I die said:
VS. Western Illinois- W
@ South Dakota State- L
VS. Wagner- W
@ Portland State- W
VS. Idaho- L
@ Weber State- L
@ Idaho State- W
VS Cal Poly- W
VS. Northern Colorado- W
@ Montana- W
My prediction: 7-4.

FIFY :thumb:

The year starts out with a 3-1 record and Cat fans will be singing "we have arrived".

The next three games produce 3 straight losses and Cat fans will be singing "just gonna say it....I'm getting really tired of Choate's bullshit".

The final four games, the Cats go on a run and, not to my surprise, prove that they are a team built for November/December football (strong run game and a stingy defense). They get a first round home game, win it, then fall in a close game on the road to a MVFC team.

Meanwhile, Griz fans continue there rhetoric of calling the Bobcats "preseason champs" even though a large percentage of the Grizzly fanbase NEVER predicts less than an 8-3 record even given the obvious holes on the roster. I mean...doesn't that scream "preseason champs" also?

On a serious note...both fanbases struggle to gauge realistic expectations year to year. Hauck knew what he had when he got here and he'll make the proper changes to the roster to get his system in place. One thing that was very refreshing to see when Choate took over a few years ago was the relentless effort, regardless of talent, the kids played with each and every down. It was something that Hauck teams, especially on defense, always had and something I always admired. Both in-state schools have similar-minded head coaches for the first time in a long time. I'm excited to see how it all plays out.

VimSince03 said:
Griz til I die said:
VS. Western Illinois- W
@ South Dakota State- L
VS. Wagner- W
@ Portland State- W
VS. Idaho- L
@ Weber State- L
@ Idaho State- W
VS Cal Poly- W
VS. Northern Colorado- W
@ Montana- W

The year starts out with a 3-1 record and Cat fans will be singing "we have arrived".

The next three games produce 3 straight losses and Cat fans will be singing "just gonna say it....I'm getting really tired of Choate's bullshit".

The final four games, the Cats go on a run and, not to my surprise, prove that they are a team built for November/December football (strong run game and a stingy defense). They get a first round home game, win it, then fall in a close game on the road to a MVFC team.

Meanwhile, Griz fans continue there rhetoric of calling the Bobcats "preseason champs" even though a large percentage of the Grizzly fanbase NEVER predicts less than an 8-3 record even given the obvious holes on the roster. I mean...doesn't that scream "preseason champs" also?

On a serious note...both fanbases struggle to gauge realistic expectations year to year. Hauck knew what he had when he got here and he'll make the proper changes to the roster to get his system in place. One thing that was very refreshing to see when Choate took over a few years ago was the relentless effort, regardless of talent, the kids played with each and every down. It was something that Hauck teams, especially on defense, always had and something I always admired. Both in-state schools have similar-minded head coaches for the first time in a long time. I'm excited to see how it all plays out.

Agreed with the serious note....I think the cats have a legit chance to make the playoffs and win a game IF Murray has improved, a lot. Teams will catch on to his tendencies even more this year with your best WR out (can't remember his name, but he was injured during spring ball). Tough loss for the cats since he appeared to be their best WR.

I agree that effort is the biggest factor that can impact and produce change for a program in the first year. The last two years for msu have not produced the Ws, but any Griz fan with an objective bone in their body will tell you choate has moved that team in the right direction. Much like the Griz this year, progress has be seen more in the hustle, heart, and energy of the team-not the Ws and Ls.

As a Griz fan, anything less than 7 wins from the cats would be nice. If I were a cat fan, I'd be pissed off if they don't get more than 6 wins this year.

MTGRZ said:
VimSince03 said:
Griz til I die said:
VS. Western Illinois- W
@ South Dakota State- L
VS. Wagner- W
@ Portland State- W
VS. Idaho- L
@ Weber State- L
@ Idaho State- W
VS Cal Poly- W
VS. Northern Colorado- W
@ Montana- W

Agreed with the serious note....I think the cats have a legit chance to make the playoffs and win a game IF Murray has improved, a lot. Teams will catch on to his tendencies even more this year with your best WR out (can't remember his name, but he was injured during spring ball). Tough loss for the cats since he appeared to be their best WR.

I agree that effort is the biggest factor that can impact and produce change for a program in the first year. The last two years for msu have not produced the Ws, but any Griz fan with an objective bone in their body will tell you choate has moved that team in the right direction. Much like the Griz this year, progress has be seen more in the hustle, heart, and energy of the team-not the Ws and Ls.

As a Griz fan, anything less than 7 wins from the cats would be nice. If I were a cat fan, I'd be pissed off if they don't get more than 6 wins this year.

WR is 100% the Cats weakest position on the roster currently. Murray will have to become more efficient in the short-to-intermediate passing game.

Nice to see some objective views on it without too much smack talk, some smack talk is necessary though...
Not far off from my prediction. I think 7-4 is the most likely. A few things don’t go their way and they lose a close one they shouldn’t and 6-5 could happen. Could also get a few breaks and end up 8-3, but I’m thinking that’s the ceiling this year.

Hope I’m pleasantly surprised and see something more but I’m not putting money on that.

I think AZdoc could definitely be right, could see them both coming into Cat/Griz at 6-4 with a playoff spot on the line.

Catsrgrood said:
Nice to see some objective views on it without too much smack talk, some smack talk is necessary though...
Not far off from my prediction. I think 7-4 is the most likely. A few things don’t go their way and they lose a close one they shouldn’t and 6-5 could happen. Could also get a few breaks and end up 8-3, but I’m thinking that’s the ceiling this year.

Hope I’m pleasantly surprised and see something more but I’m not putting money on that.

I think AZdoc could definitely be right, could see them both coming into Cat/Griz at 6-4 with a playoff spot on the line.

Yep. Scats are playing the type of football our Griz have lacked (IMO) past few years but BH will bring back. Hard, physical, never quit, dominate your opponent type football. Murray will be the difference - if he can consistently complete over 50% of his passes, Scats will 7 or 8 games. If Murray has not improved his passing, Scats win 6, maybe 7.

GO GRIZ!

MTGRZ said:
VimSince03 said:
Griz til I die said:
VS. Western Illinois- W
@ South Dakota State- L
VS. Wagner- W
@ Portland State- W
VS. Idaho- L
@ Weber State- L
@ Idaho State- W
VS Cal Poly- W
VS. Northern Colorado- W
@ Montana- W

Your thinking of Kevin Kassis. He’s really not gonna play this season?

Griz til I die said:
MTGRZ said:
VimSince03 said:
Griz til I die said:
VS. Western Illinois- W
@ South Dakota State- L
VS. Wagner- W
@ Portland State- W
VS. Idaho- L
@ Weber State- L
@ Idaho State- W
VS Cal Poly- W
VS. Northern Colorado- W
@ Montana- W

Your thinking of Kevin Kassis. He’s really not gonna play this season?

He's not thinking of Kassis. It's Jabarri Johnson. Jabarri tore his acl this spring. Kevin is more of the possession receiver type while Jabarri was the bigger down-field threat. Regardless, the WR group will be mostly young and unproven.

Cats are 7-3 in conference in their last 10, and to their credit, haven't scheduled schools for the blind in the non conference games. Of the 3 losses, the game at NAU was a 1 point loss when they went for a walk-off 2 point conversion. Weber was an 8 point loss and they actually put it in the endzone late in the 4th quarter, but it was called back on a penalty. It was great game against a team that went to the semifinals. The @EWU loss was a monster comeback for a 24-7 deficit in the 2nd quarter. The Cats were in the redzone to take the lead late in the 4th quarter but Murray fumbled it away. Then of course there were the 7 wins including 2 against the grizz. If you're a Cat fan there is tons of reasons to be optimistic. If the Cats didn't get any better this off season (they did...) it's still reasonable to think 6-2 for conference play.

As for the non conference schedule, I like the Cats on August 30th at home for Gold Rush against a WIU team with a brand new coach in his first game. The Cats are historically tough for Gold Rush. The Wagner game will be a win as well. That's 8 wins folks. SDSU and Weber are both losses, and I think one game out of dUMb, EWU (home) and Idaho (home) will also be a loss.

ABQCat said:
Cats are 7-3 in conference in their last 10, and to their credit, haven't scheduled schools for the blind in the non conference games. Of the 3 losses, the game at NAU was a 1 point loss when they went for a walk-off 2 point conversion. Weber was an 8 point loss and they actually put it in the endzone late in the 4th quarter, but it was called back on a penalty. It was great game against a team that went to the semifinals. The @EWU loss was a monster comeback for a 24-7 deficit in the 2nd quarter. The Cats were in the redzone to take the lead late in the 4th quarter but Murray fumbled it away. Then of course there were the 7 wins including 2 against the grizz. If you're a Cat fan there is tons of reasons to be optimistic. If the Cats didn't get any better this off season (they did...) it's still reasonable to think 6-2 for conference play.

As for the non conference schedule, I like the Cats on August 30th at home for Gold Rush against a WIU team with a brand new coach in his first game. The Cats are historically tough for Gold Rush. The Wagner game will be a win as well. That's 8 wins folks. SDSU and Weber are both losses, and I think one game out of dUMb, EWU (home) and Idaho (home) will also be a loss.

No way, you're high. :lol:

P.S. Thanks for the reminder of how painful those close losses were. Add to that the Kennesaw State squeaker which could have easily been a win over a damn good team.

ABQCat said:

As for the non conference schedule, I like the Cats on August 30th at home for Gold Rush against a WIU team with a brand new coach in his first game. The Cats are historically tough for Gold Rush. The Wagner game will be a win as well. That's 8 wins folks. SDSU and Weber are both losses, and I think one game out of UM, EWU (home) and Idaho (home) will also be a loss.

Fair analysis but I think you will drop two of the above quoted in bold at least and WIU is going to be tougher than you think. I see at least 4 losses maybe 5

poorgriz said:
ABQCat said:

P.S. Thanks for the reminder of how painful those close losses were. Add to that the Kennesaw State squeaker which could have easily been a win over a damn good team.

I understand where you guys are coming from here with the close losses...but they are still losses and the Cats lost those games because of consistent factors that have plagued Choate-led teams his first two years. Choate has to continue to improve as a head coach as well as Murray as a passer. In my mind, last season doesn't mean anything other than we lost 6 games to some very good competition and won 5 games against some mediocre competition. It will come down to Murray...and possibly transfer QB Travis Jonsen because I do not expect Murray to stay healthy all year.

VimSince03 said:
poorgriz said:
ABQCat said:

I understand where you guys are coming from here with the close losses...but they are still losses and the Cats lost those games because of consistent factors that have plagued Choate-led teams his first two years. Choate has to continue to improve as a head coach as well as Murray as a passer. In my mind, last season doesn't mean anything other than we lost 6 games to some very good competition and won 5 games against some mediocre competition. It will come down to Murray...and possibly transfer QB Travis Jonsen because I do not expect Murray to stay healthy all year.

I agree, I think the close loss thing only goes so far and some Cat fans are leaning on that a little bit too much. Yes, they were in every game and lost some close ones that could have gone either way. But they still lost and as Vim said, for some of the same reasons each game. Those need to be cleaned up, and that goes for coaches too. I like Choate and think he’ll have this team in the right spot, but can’t keep seeing some of these mental mistakes that are costing a few big plays/ penalties each game.

ABQCat said:

So you guys lost games as good or better than anyone? If my aunt had nuts she'd be my uncle. As for scheduling, you can't use last season as your benchmark when the season prior you had Bryant and Western Oregon. Man your memories escape you quickly.

HookedonGriz said:
ABQCat said:

So you guys lost games as good or better than anyone? If my aunt had nuts she'd be my uncle. As for scheduling, you can't use last season as your benchmark when the season prior you had Bryant and Western Oregon. Man your memories escape you quickly.

Yeah that "tougher schedule" became the mantra last year......and that one year they played Chadron State!

VimSince03 said:
No. No, man, Fuck no. In fact, I think you’d get your ass kicked saying something like that.

There’s 2 major differences.
First, we have history on our side and a better likelyhood to live up to it. Occasionally we actually live up to the hype. That has literally never happened for the cats.
Second, this is our site. Just look at the posts by poorcats in this thread. He comes on here to say the same god damn shit every year. Maybe there is some jackass that does that on your site, but the rest of us don’t come on there to excuse it.
And which team has more “obvious holes?”

Back