• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Drew Turner and Gabe Sulser are fast

Sam A. Blitz

Watched state track today.

Turner was 4th in the 100, 2nd in the 200, and 1st in the 400. Excellent times for a RB prospect that is known for a physical style of running.

Sulser crushed the field in the 100m hurdles.

Both are great athletes and look like football players.

I think Turner is the real deal. His times are very, very good for his size and style. Sulser is an excellect hurdler technique wise and very quick, doesn't have the speed typical of outside receivers but will be fun to see as a slot and maybe punt returner.

On behalf of all of us on meds, thank you for including verbs & adjectives in the thread title with player names leading. :thumb:

I am really happy with both Turner and Sulser times. Personal record for Sulser.
Heck, Turner is faster than the Griz WRs. I've been touting Nelson for a couple years now, wish he was a Griz, as he broke the state record.

Boys 100 Meter Dash

Finals
1. Damien Nelson.... 10.50a CMR
2. Ethan Larson ......10.87a Glacier
3. Robbie Simpson....10.97a Bozeman
4. Drew Turner........11.06a Glacier
5. Hudson Shermer ...11.13a Sentinel
6. Cooper Craig....... 11.15a Bozeman
7. Eyezayah Boroughs 11.21a Billings West
8. Kyle Patelis .........11.23a Billings West
9. Mark Estes....... ....11.27a Glacier
10. Xavier Melice.......11.30a Helena Capital

110 Meter Hurdles
Finals - 39"
1. Gabe Sulser........ 14.22a Billings Senior
2. Chad Hemsley..... 15.01a Flathead
3. Dawson Rinehart.. 15.01a Flathead
4. Bryan Brensdal .....15.23a Billings Skyview
5. Brendan Thompson 15.33a Sentinel
6. Alec Ladas.......... 15.48a Helena Capital
7. Winston Platt .......15.72a Billings West
8. Peter Demars....... 15.74a Billings West
9. Joe Olson............ 16.35a Bozeman
10. Kyle Patelis ........ 16.48a Billings West

5b0a21648a119.image.jpg

CMRs Damien Nelson fastest ever...

Fastest time the nation, according to www.athletic.net

https://twitter.com/jordyhansen/status/1000458172815917056

DuCharme said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

What was?
(that link brings up nothing)

No clue what he is referring to.....I saw a 10.08 100M and a 13.4. 110H times leading this year and multiple sub 46 400M times. Montana sprint times are not in the ballpark of many states even though these results this year were great.

Track speed doesn't always translate to football speed. A lot of state champion sprinters have never touched a college football field. However, I really like seeing prospects have success in different sports, particularly showing speed on the track.

Sulser has plenty of speed to play on the outside.

Ursus1 said:
DuCharme said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

What was?
(that link brings up nothing)

No clue what he is referring to.....I saw a 10.08 100M and a 13.4. 110H times leading this year and multiple sub 46 400M times. Montana sprint times are not in the ballpark of many states even though these results this year were great.

No clue to what I was referring to? lol Even though I included a state record sprint tweet, with the tweet saying WOW.

I did make a mistake by saying (the) "Fastest" time in the nation. I was attempting to quote a sports article that read, "That's a top-100 time in the event in nation...".

http://mtstandard.com/sports/high-school/track-and-field/state-aa-track-and-field-sentinel-glacier-take-home-team/article_16c7dc18-4645-5ada-830b-73573258bb93.html

Sam A. Blitz said:
Track speed doesn't always translate to football speed. A lot of state champion sprinters have never touched a college football field. However, I really like seeing prospects have success in different sports, particularly showing speed on the track.

The fact that track speed doesn't always translate to football speed is true in that there are...

2 different things to look at when it comes to being fast on a football field:

1) There is straight-line speed (track)
2) There is short area change of direction (agility)

Track champions automatically have elite straight-line speed in SPADES.
Track champions don't necessarily have elite agility.

Damien Nelson has agility as well. He played RB and CB in HS. And signed a college football scholarship.

Griz coach called Sulser's championship hurdles sprint "Freakish". :D :clap: GO GRIZ

https://twitter.com/FBCoachShann/status/1000424459856109569

I was at the state meet as well. I can confirm they are fast. Can also confirm Turner is huge. Also, Estes is a stud too.

Drew Turner joined us during the second hour of our show on Tuesday to talk Class AA track championships, the Badlands Bowl and his future with the Griz

https://soundcloud.com/tootell/tootell-nuanez-june-19th-2018-hour-2

IntuitiveGriz said:
Sam A. Blitz said:

The fact that track speed doesn't always translate to football speed is true in that there are...

2 different things to look at when it comes to being fast on a football field:

1) There is straight-line speed (track)
2) There is short area change of direction (agility)

Track champions automatically have elite straight-line speed in SPADES.
Track champions don't necessarily have elite agility.

Damien Nelson has agility as well. He played RB and CB in HS. And signed a college football scholarship.
Bob Hayes was a pretty good (and fast) football player. Anyone who has seen Sulser play has no questions regarding his speed or agility.

Back