• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS vs FBS 2018 (Missouri Valley)

How many upsets?

• Zero, zip, nada

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • One or Two

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Three

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Four

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Five or More

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

IdaGriz01

There was enough interest in the Big Sky version, I decided to go on to the MVFC:
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20180510110135898243904&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

Nine Missouri Valley program take on an FBS opponent. The one exception is North Dakota State. “For some strange reason,” NDSU is having trouble scheduling FBS games. They don’t have another until 2020 (Oregon).

Illinois State (6-5) at Colorado State (7-6)
Indiana State (0-8) at Louisville (8-5)
Missouri State (3-8) at Oklahoma State (10-3)
Northern Iowa (8-5) at Iowa (8-5)
South Dakota (8-5) at Kansas State (8-5)
South Dakota State (11-3) at Iowa State (8-5)
Southern Illinois (4-7) at Ole Miss (6-6)
Western Illinois (8-4) at Illinois (2-10)
Youngstown State (6-5) at West Virginia (7-6)

Haley’s “upset alert” is the Illinois State at Colorado State game. Not sure I’m buying into that. CSU did end up with a losing record, but went to a bowl game and only lost by a FG.

I’m thinking the Western Illinois at Illinois looks a lot more promising.

(As in the last one, you can change your vote later if you want.)

Hmmm ... latest news out of Oxford suggests that the mess at Ole Miss ain't going away any time soon. With the "no bowl game" situation, some top players defected and top prospects de-committed. Those who follow the team seem to feel that the offense will be "okay." But they only "hope" that an already-suspect defense won't regress ... they do not seem to have any real hope for improvement. (Ole Miss was #123, of 129, in rushing defense last season and not good -- #52 -- in defending the pass.)

On the flip side, SIU has an outstanding running attack, with two good backs. They also have a veteran QB who is solid, although apparently not spectacular.

So one might ease this a bit more into the "upset possible" category, however unlikely it seems.

I think Illinois loses and either Iowa or Iowa State (one of them seem to lose to a MVFC team every year).

AZGrizFan said:
I think Illinois loses and either Iowa or Iowa State (one of them seem to lose to a MVFC team every year).

Iowa State loses to UNI and other FCS teams consistently, the Iowa Hawkeyes lost their first game vs an FCS school couple years ago to NDSU (thanks for reminding me btw)

Hawkeyebowhunter said:
AZGrizFan said:

Iowa State loses to UNI and other FCS teams consistently, the Iowa Hawkeyes lost their first game vs an FCS school couple years ago to NDSU (thanks for reminding me btw)

Funny enough, what got me interested in the Griz is when they came to Iowa City and got spanked (not hating on the Griz) in '06. I liked how hard the Griz fought and followed them ever since, even applied to school (parents wouldn't give the ok to move 1400+ miles away haha)

No fresh, and significant, info on the MVFC-FBS situation, but I thought I'd bump it just to go along with the CAA thread.

Back