• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Pre Season Polls - Big Sky

HookedonGriz

DONOR
38c7e49f1269b6aed14d1869a7ac901b.png
1c95d188afd3ae0f7c4de61b79834d89.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Bobby Bump is real, at least in the media poll.

I think this team with any other coach would’ve been picked behind SAC, SUU, and the cats.

uofmman1122 said:

I think this team with any other coach would’ve been picked behind SAC, SUU, and the cats.

Apparently the other coaches aren't believers.

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

Pride goeth before the fall. :cool:

Neither here nor there but I wonder how many current Big Sky Coaches have coached against a Hauck led team?

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

I think the coaches poll is more accurate.

We don't play EWU, NAU or Weber. If we can't finish better than 7th with THAT schedule, then BH has failed, IMHO.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

We don't play EWU, NAU or Weber. If we can't finish better than 7th with THAT schedule, then BH has failed, IMHO.

A new coach can only do so much with what he inherits. Could they finish better than 7th, of course. The thing wrong with your hypothesis, is you believe they are on par with EWU, NAU, and Weber while currently I believe they are more on par with Davis, Poly, and Sac. I think 4th-7th is a pretty accurate guess right now.

VictorG said:
Neither here nor there but I wonder how many current Big Sky Coaches have coached against a Hauck led team?

I did some quick searching, and it looks like Jerome Sauers and Tim Walsh are the only current head coaches in the Big Sky to have coached against Bobby Hauck. The only other Head Coach who would be familiar with him would be Idaho State’s Rob Phenicie.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

A new coach can only do so much with what he inherits. Could they finish better than 7th, of course, but I see that about right. The thing wrong with your hypothesis, is you believe they are on par with EWU, NAU, and Weber while currently I believe they are more on par with Davis, Poly, and Sac. I think 4th-7th is a pretty accurate guess right now.

There's nothing wrong with what he inherited. And he's brought in several good players (on film/paper) to fill the holes.

But that being said, I never said I thought we were on par with any of those teams. YOU said that. But we don't PLAY those teams (EWU/NAU/WSU), because of the unbalanced schedule. And 4th-7th is a pretty broad range...I'd definitely take the over on 7th. I think we'll be a lot closer to 4th, and possibly higher depending on how the Idaho & SUU games go. We are very fortunate that our schedule is back-loaded with the more difficult games late in the year, giving the kids max live-action game time in BH's system.

AZGrizFan said:
There's nothing wrong with what he inherited. And he's brought in several good players (on film/paper) to fill the holes.

If you like average to a little above average overall talent, a depth question, and many unknowns than you might be on to something. This team wasn't an average BSC team the past few years on coaching alone.

AZGrizFan said:
But that being said, I never said I thought we were on par with any of those teams. YOU said that. But we don't PLAY those teams (EWU/NAU/WSU), because of the unbalanced schedule. And 4th-7th is a pretty broad range...I'd definitely take the over on 7th. I think we'll be a lot closer to 4th, and possibly higher depending on how the Idaho & SUU games go. We are very fortunate that our schedule is back-loaded with the more difficult games late in the year, giving the kids max live-action game time in BH's system.

My point was, that when you have a team that is more on par with Poly, Davis, and Sac, you can not say any game is a gimmie. The schedule that Montana plays, even without EWU, NAU, and Weber on it, will be a difficult one for the overall talent of this team currently. Everyone thinking 8 wins will be a cake walk are off their rocker.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

My point was, that when you have a team that is more on par with Poly, Davis, and Sac, you can not say any game is a gimmie. The schedule that Montana plays, even without EWU, NAU, and Weber on it, will be a difficult one for the overall talent of this team currently. Everyone thinking 8 wins will be a cake walk are off their rocker.

+1. 8 wins this season would be Bobby’s best coaching performance ever.

A lot of people including the coaches and media are writing off Cal Poly after a terrible 2017 season and it makes some sense when only looking at 2017. If you look a little deeper, 2017 was an exception, not the rule for Cal Poly. From 2012 (the first year Cal Poly played in the Big Sky) to 2016 Cal Poly won more conference games than every Big Sky team with the exception of EWU and NAU.

Big Sky records from 2012 to 2016

#1 EWU: 35-5
#2 NAU: 27-13
#3 CP: 25-15
#4 SUU: 24-16
#4 UM: 24-16
#6 MSU: 23-17
#7 UND: 21-19
#8 WSU: 16-24
#9 PSU: 15-25
#9 Sac St: 15-25
#11 UCD: 13-27
#11 UNC:13-27
#13 ISU: 9-31

Cal Poly had an awful year filled with injuries and finished a miserable year at 1-7 in 2017. That said, Cal Poly only fell to #6 out of 13 teams. SUU, UM and MSU passed them. That means only 5 teams are ahead of us and 7 are behind us. Not where we want to be, but not bad considering we were in third place before the disastrous 2017 season. I think Cal Poly will surprise a few people in 2018.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

There's nothing wrong with the talent level on this roster. Many of these guys were 2-3 star kids coming out of HS. People on this site (and national sites) RAVED about Stitt's recruiting prowess (and his love of WR's :lol: ). But to call it "average"? Really? Or have you just jumped on the BH-excuse bandwagon?

SloStang said:
A lot of people including the coaches and media are writing off Cal Poly after a terrible 2017 season and it makes some sense when only looking at 2017. If you look a little deeper, 2017 was an exception, not the rule for Cal Poly. From 2012 (the first year Cal Poly played in the Big Sky) to 2016 Cal Poly won more conference games than every Big Sky team with the exception of EWU and NAU.

Cal Poly had an awful year filled with injuries and finished a miserable year at 1-7 in 2017. That said, Cal Poly only fell to #6 out of 13 teams. SUU, UM and MSU passed them. That means only 5 teams are ahead of us and 7 are behind us. Not where we want to be, but not bad considering we were in third place before the disastrous 2017 season. I think Cal Poly will surprise a few people in 2018.

a) what happened in '12, '13, '14 have zero bearing on today.
b) I don't think people are "writing off" CP. But are you going to go from 1-10 to 9-2? Everybody suffers injuries. Some teams are just better prepared to handle them.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

There's nothing wrong with the talent level on this roster. Many of these guys were 2-3 star kids coming out of HS. People on this site (and national sites) RAVED about Stitt's recruiting prowess (and his love of WR's :lol: ). But to call it "average"? Really? Or have you just jumped on the BH-excuse bandwagon?

My thoughts on overall talent precedes the hiring of BH. The Griz have been a middle of the road team in the BSC over the past few seasons, and it was not all about the X's and O's. I find it funny that someone that defended Stitt and was not keen about his firing would now suggest that the failures were not about overall team talent at all....what was the issue?

AZGrizFan said:
SloStang said:

a) what happened in '12, '13, '14 have zero bearing on today.
b) I don't think people are "writing off" CP. But are you going to go from 1-10 to 9-2? Everybody suffers injuries. Some teams are just better prepared to handle them.

True, but it shows last year was more of an exception than the rule. That said, I don’t expect them to be ranked in the top half of the conference coming off a 1-10 season. I do expect them to be in the top half of the conference come the season end.

Back