• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Shrine Game

biga75

DONOR
Can’t believe you knuckleheads haven’t started a thread yet. East just stuffed West on a 4th and goal midway through the 4th.
Good game so far, tied at 21.

Maybe this is a question for VIM but how does Calgary get a player or two into this game every year? We have some good HS players up here in Saskatchewan but I've never heard of this game outside of Montana. How did that pipeline get set up? Anybody know?

SaskGriz said:
Maybe this is a question for VIM but how does Calgary get a player or two into this game every year? We have some good HS players up here in Saskatchewan but I've never heard of this game outside of Montana. How did that pipeline get set up? Anybody know?

This is a great question, Sask. The rumor from the Electric City is that founding father Paris Gibson had a thing for Canadian P. Young Canadian players had moms (i.e. mums) and aunts that attended the games.The games were routinely followed up with Canadian appreciation parties at the Rainbow Hotel featuring Mr. Gibson's lurid "no-hands" shadow puppet show.

Never seen him play live, but that Mike Lee from Flathead looked the part of a BSC level recruit. Not sure why he wasn't offered but a beast of a build and very good wrestler. Seemed perfect fit for an in state d line guy.

Overall the declining players really had an impact on over talent displayed. Seems MonDak game has really hurt Shrine talent.

"This is a great question, Sask. The rumor from the Electric City is that founding father Paris Gibson had a thing for Canadian P. Young Canadian players had moms (i.e. mums) and aunts that attended the games.The games were routinely followed up with Canadian appreciation parties at the Rainbow Hotel featuring Mr. Gibson's lurid "no-hands" shadow puppet."

Uh, good try but Paris Gibson was an old man when he finally died in 1920, well before HS football and Shrine games.

So why do we always have some Canadian players in the game?

First time it happened was in 2015. Has been an annual tradition ever since. Don't know the true reason behind getting a player on each roster from Canada.

VimSince03 said:
First time it happened was in 2015. Has been an annual tradition ever since. Don't know the true reason behind getting a player on each roster from Canada.

Thanks for the answer, I figured if anybody knew it would be you.

Back