• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Softball now has predetermined site for BSC Championship

alabamagrizzly

Don’t like this one bit.

http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2017/11/13/weber-state-selected-to-host-2018-big-sky-softball-championship.aspx

For the first time the site of the conference championship tournament will be predetermined and this years is gonna be at, big surprise, Weber State. BS!

JFC this conference sucks shit. If ANYONE can defend Montana’s existence in this absolute POS, I’d love to hear it.

EverettGriz said:
JFC this conference sucks shit. If ANYONE can defend Montana’s existence in this absolute POS, I’d love to hear it.

But it’s named the Big Sky. Doesn’t that mean we’re obligated to stay?

The silver lining - the Griz have proven they can go to Weber and win the tourney. The BS lining is they should wait until next year to institute this change. Guess that's why we're the BS Conference.

Just when the fledgling softball program and facilities make big strides, they make the tournament a permanent thing down in.... Ogden??......how f-ing convenient...

Big Sky Home Headquarters...........................Fruitful Ogden....(Go Webber!Go Webbber! Hip Hip Horray Webbbbber!)Ohhh get to go to Homer St. every year.....Doh..

Who is responsible for this serve it you you on a silver platter horse shit? Smithers? Bet they live in Ogden.
Smirking Big SKy Headquarters staff non-partisan Wigs now content....
Weber year in and year out are always one of the top teams in the league.....What....if they can't stack the deck against ya then it's not an even playing field?????....Ya Think????

If you don't win the Conference you're not deserving of hosting.
You want to hold the tournament in Salt Lake City area...???Ok...Then hold it at Utah Valley St or some other venue with decent facilities...Not at Webbber...At Least have the Homer Simpson team have to get on the Bus and drive to Orem at least for a different more neutral venue...

Go Griz!

Some of you are being really rediculous, despite it being better to have the current champ hosting the stupid tournament. The fact that its perdetermined by the previous year's champion isnt completely awful. Weber is hosting because Weber won the reg season title last year. If Montana wants to host then win the reg season this year and you'll be hosting next year.....it's that simple.

There is absolutely no catering to Weber State happening at all. If Montana had won the reg season last year and was the school hosting this year NONE of you would be whining about it.

WILDCATFAN said:
Some of you are being really rediculous, despite it being better to have the current champ hosting the stupid tournament. The fact that its perdetermined by the previous year's champion isnt completely awful. Weber is hosting because Weber won the reg season title last year. If Montana wants to host then win the reg season this year and you'll be hosting next year.....it's that simple.

There is absolutely no catering to Weber State happening at all. If Montana had won the reg season last year and was the school hosting this year NONE of you would be whining about it.

Wild ..ok i 'll take your word on that. I thought that the tournament was a done deal to be in Ogden year after year...no matter who won the Conference...hence my dismay...My mistake then.

If this were to be the case, it would be be a real pile...Agreed? It's still a bone-headed change . It only makes for good common sense to AWARD the Conf. Champ with the hosting rights in the current season...not the fricking next...It's normally a reward for the Institution and its Town...Truly a Homer decision by Home Office.... :oops:

Kabooom said:
WILDCATFAN said:

Wild ..ok i 'll take your word on that. I thought that the tournament was a done deal to be in Ogden year after year...no matter who won the Conference...hence my dismay...My mistake then.

If this were to be the case, it would be be a real pile...Agreed? It's still a bone-headed change . It only makes for good common sense to AWARD the Conf. Champ with the hosting rights in the current season...not the fricking next...It's normally a reward for the Institution and its Town...Truly a Homer decision by Home Office.... :oops:

You don't need to take my word for it, the article says it in the 2nd paragraph.

Entering its sixth year of softball competition in 2018, the Big Sky Conference office announced the first pre-determined site in the history of its softball championship with the previous regular season champion serving as host moving forward.

And don't get me wrong, I agree that the winner of the regular season should host the tournament. It should be their reward, (just like it should be in basketball grumble grumble :x ) But in an age where everything has to be "fair and cheap and easy" predetermined sites are the way things are going to go. And it's not like it's just the Big Sky, Almost every conference has at least one sport where the site of a tournament is predetermined. It sucks, and I hate it. But unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it. We can cry, whine, carry on and say things like #bsc but in the end you are going to be hard pressed to find any conference where at least one sport's championship isn't hosted at a predetermined site.

WILDCATFAN said:
Kabooom said:
WILDCATFAN said:

You don't need to take my word for it, the article says it in the 2nd paragraph.

Entering its sixth year of softball competition in 2018, the Big Sky Conference office announced the first pre-determined site in the history of its softball championship with the previous regular season champion serving as host moving forward.

And don't get me wrong, I agree that the winner of the regular season should host the tournament. It should be their reward, (just like it should be in basketball grumble grumble :x ) But in an age where everything has to be "fair and cheap and easy" predetermined sites are the way things are going to go. And it's not like it's just the Big Sky, Almost every conference has at least one sport where the site of a tournament is predetermined. It sucks, and I hate it. But unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it. We can cry, whine, carry on and say things like #bsc but in the end you are going to be hard pressed to find any conference where at least one sport's championship isn't hosted at a predetermined site.

Gotta be honest... I also thought that Ogden was selected as the permanent site. Now that UM has upgraded its already pretty nice facility, it'll be nice to anticipate hosting the tourney.

grizzlyjournal said:
WILDCATFAN said:
Kabooom said:
WILDCATFAN said:

Gotta be honest... I also thought that Ogden was selected as the permanent site. Now that UM has upgraded its already pretty nice facility, it'll be nice to anticipate hosting the tourney.

My only issue with it is the change wasn’t necessary. WSU won the reg season last year and hosted last year. The article doesn’t explain the reason for the change and the decision basically gives WSU a free pass this year. Also note the league doesn’t consider WSU to be the best team, voting UM the favs to win. Just an unnecessary decision. And Wild, no I wouldn’t be that upset if UM was chosen but I’d still think it was dumb. I’d be like you though saying get over it, it’s the way it is.

I note that only six teams will advance. So much for that "every student athlete deserves a championship experience; we need to do it for recruiting purposes" argument. I guess that only applies in sports where there's money to be made.

#bsc

#itsALWAYSonlyaboutthemoney

A few days back I asked a recent college graduate at my firm if he'd ever owned a CD. He replied that he had not, but he thought perhaps his father had.

I'm taking Monday off to attend his funeral.

My biggest problem with this is that it was basically done after the fact. If the BSC came out and said the regular season champion this year hosts the tournament next year it would be fine. But for them to go back to last year's conference record basically a year after the season is over and say that Weber gets to host is a bunch of crap.

I guess the silver lining is that we were picked first in the pre-season poll and we get Weber (picked 2nd) and Sac. State (picked 3rd) at home this year.

Hey Alabama I need to check Pluto to see if they'll be carrying softball considering that the ladies are kicking of the season with tournament play in Phoenix tomorrow :?:

Back