• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Really worried about New Coach

EdG

Another sad game. They don't know how to win. Free throws are terrible. Defense is very lacking.

A head coaching job appears to be too big of a step up

EdG said:
Another sad game. They don't know how to win. Free throws are terrible. Defense is very lacking.

A head coaching job appears to be too big of a step up

You do understand we played without 3 starters, don't you? Hard to keep your legs at the end of a game when you only go 7 deep.

I understand but you have to look at the overall record. I can't remember the last time it was this bad.

I thought only 2 starters Martin and Mike. They only played 7 guys which is tough.

I just don't see any spark whats so ever- other then Gregory he played hard. Kemp had his moments

I love Griz basketball and want them to do great- just saying brace for a long year. I hope there has not been a big step backwards.

Edmonds also starts. I'm not sure last year's team would have done any better against this year's opponents. IMHO, even with Breunig playing (not Edmonds or Wesner,) the Griz would have won fairly easily against South Dakota. Regarding the no spark issue, The South Dakota Coach (in today's Missoulian) said the Griz out hustled his team for the vast majority of yesterday's game. As for the new coaching staff being a big step backwards, I think it is important to remember the struggles of last year's team and the fact that Decuire was not exactly left with a very strong roster. I am confident that he will do well and as his own recruits begin to play, the Griz will be very exciting and successful. :thumb:

Counting on you to be right!

The new Italian vendor where the donut place used to be is good!

I thought he brought in about 5 players?

Ed G did you go to the game or are you just reading the box score online or in the paper. I feel they fought extremely hard last night.
Have you forgotten Tinkle's first year as coach when the Griz gave up 100 points at home for senior night against Portland State losing by more than 50 points.
There were only two starters on the floor last night back from last year. Both were guards. And lost one of the best Griz players ever. And really they were not much better than average last year. And this team was picked by the coaches to finish in the bottom half the conference
I feel Travis could be an excellent coach. Just give him more time.

8 guys suited and played yesterday. Nwosu only played a couple minutes though. Led by 10 with 10 to go then scored 10 in the last 10 to lose. Missing players but still a poor showing in the final 10 minutes........beat the press and pull it out for a late shot clock 3.....no press walk it up, pass it around for 25 seconds and cast a late shot clock 3. Where's the up tempo?

See Jake Willey of Lewis and Clark State was player of the week in the Frontier last week. Know that Emerson plays on that same team. Didn't UM basketball pay for Andy Martin's school last semester at UM? Could have probably used one or more of them in yesterday's and a few other games this year already.

Can you imagine if TD was the new FB coach and started out this way?

At every game. When was the last time the team had a record this bad? I like eveyone else wants the best

South Dakota was not a very good team

I agree on the lack of tempo

EdG said:
I understand but you have to look at the overall record. I .

I thought only 2 starters Martin and Mike. They only played 7 guys which is tough.

I just don't see any spark whats so ever- other then Gregory he played hard. Kemp had his moments

I love Griz basketball and want them to do great- just saying brace for a long year. I hope there has not been a big step backwards.
Short memory? It wasn't that many years ago the men's team felt like a bit of an after thought.

EdG said:
Counting on you to be right!

The new Italian vendor where the donut place used to be is good!

I thought he brought in about 5 players?
He brought in exactly 0 players. Are you really paying any real attention? :? He has recruited a couple so far, but they don't arrive until next year.

Mousegriz said:
8 guys suited and played yesterday. Nwosu only played a couple minutes though. Led by 10 with 10 to go then scored 10 in the last 10 to lose. Missing players but still a poor showing in the final 10 minutes........beat the press and pull it out for a late shot clock 3.....no press walk it up, pass it around for 25 seconds and cast a late shot clock 3. Where's the up tempo?

See Jake Willey of Lewis and Clark State was player of the week in the Frontier last week. Know that Emerson plays on that same team. Didn't UM basketball pay for Andy Martin's school last semester at UM? Could have probably used one or more of them in yesterday's and a few other games this year already.

Can you imagine if TD was the new FB coach and started out this way?
Jake Wiley left while Tinks was coach and did not play last season. Similarly, Emerson left well before Travis arrived. The circumstances surrounding Martin's departure are a bit murky and he is tying up a schollie. However, based on his contributions his first two years, I doubt he'd made much of a difference this season.

I pay attention to 3-7. I pay attention to small crowds. I still remember when it was the hottest ticket in town.

Same number of wins at the Bob Cats

The Griz outplayed SD the majority of the game, even though burdened with not having key players in the positions that the team has been building around. With two very key players missing, the team was not just playing SD, it was adjusting to "big" last minute changes in the lineup.

Breunig is obviously a key to this year's strategy, and DeCuire is building around him. I think what this team would have looked like the past two years if Tinks had had Breunig in the lineup. Breunig is the answer for what Hutch was unable to do. Breunig will add 15 points per game to that position over Hutch. I continue to think that there was a place in there for Andy Martin, but, oh well. The kid obviously had the height and the skills, just needed more weight and voltage. I do think that was coachable.

Weisner is proving to be a much more valuable asset, offense and defense, than I thought he could be. This is a young man who has really stepped up his game and his intensity.

Missing those two for a game reflects not at all on the coach or the team, but the breaks. On the other hand, Krslovic was able to step up a bit more than I have given him credit for. His posture and his frequently open mouth makes him look like he is just about "gassed" all of the time, and maybe he is, but he seems to be able to turn in consistent play even after a goodly amount of time on the court.

Gregory appears to have returned to his usual formidable play and enthusiasm. UM lost the game in the last five minutes, and I cannot help but think it was a tired team that had controlled the game for the most part until then, despite its profound temporary handicaps. Gfeller, Kemp, and Dunn are making solid plays, but haven't quite "caught the groove" yet. Riley Bradshaw is probably the third best 3-point shooter on the team in practices, and put a couple of beauties in against SD, but oh man, you just can't miss as many as he did. On the other hand, if competitive play shooting is going to improve him, that's what he needs to be doing. DeCuire obviously thinks he can, and if the gamble proves out Montana will have a formidable 3 point offense.

I do think there can be no doubt that with Breunig and Weisner, SD would have been soundly beaten. No question whatsoever.

Didn't like the loss, but I saw no concerns about the coach or the team playing well in the future.

Did anyone actually think we were going to be good this year???

Travis will be great. We don't have the guys this year. We will be back in a couple of years.

EdG you're over reacting a lot. It's easy to say "the record speaks for itself" but there's many different ways to get to 3-7. This is/will be a good team this year. To compete the way it did against Boise St, CAL & Davidson "speaks for itself" more than the record. UM will be a true contender in the Big Sky.

It is not that I disagree that this team may contend but the facts of the matter are , they just aren't that good. Coach claimed they would be a up & down team, running, fast breaking, & shooting 3's. The problem I see is that they just aren't great shooters. Can you name anybody who has just "lit-it up" in any game other than Breuning? With Breunig, Weisner & Gregory , they will be okay and win some bs games but the rest are just that, bs type players. We have been spoiled lately and have had exceptional bs players over the last few years with Johnson, Quale,Cherry & Jammar and this group is more like the rest of the league. I do think that Ewwwu will dominate the league however. Give coach a couple of seasons, his recruits, and then watch what happens!

I am OK no need to worry but thanks- Happy Holidays

Yes, while my expectations were not super high - I thought we would surprise some people this year.

Really wanted to see a slower game yesterday since a limited number could play- save some legs

When you listed recent great plays throw Mathis Ward into the mix- one of my favorite players, great kid and great work ethic

If we beat Eastern out for the Big Sky my 2015 will be made.

Maybe a game on the first day of the new year will be lucky

OK one last post then I give

Does anyone know where I can find a nice Griz Vest? Been to the bookstore, M store, Bob Wards and the mall - no luck

Would love to have one

Back