• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

"the bigs"

citygriz

slang for "the big leagues." (which is what we're watching now in college basketball.) also: your big players, 6'8" or taller. the musclemen who control the paint and protect the rim. after your point guard, i think your five is the most important player on the team--a lesson hammered home again by watching the sweet 16. every team has a dominant five, kentucky and gonzaga several. the warriors are the most skilled open-court team i've seen in the nba in ages, yet everybody knows, if andrew bogut goes down, as he did last year with a broken rib, their championship hopes are dead. you gotta have that "big."

so back to us.

so far, this staff has brought in four recruits--two point guards and two threes. (unless samuelson sprouts a few more inches, i don't consider him a big.) that leaves us breuning, krslovic and boehning, all tinkle recruits. i think you need to bring in at least one big each year, for at least two reasons:

--weber has one very good big returning in bolomboy, but two young ones in the wings, zach braxton and jordon dallas (whom we recruited as well.) both have four years of eligibility, which gives weber time to recruit another one or two.
--it takes time for big players to develop. don't know why this should be, but it's a widely understood assumption among basketball experts. you don't have to hear me out yet again on how much it would have benefitted our program to have given qvale a reshirt year, as opposed to the dismal true freshman campaign he endured. (oops, i guess you just did.)

so as impressed as i've been with decuire and this staff, i'm still waiting for them to add that one critical piece to their resume: a credible big man. i'm hoping, like magicians, they've got one up their sleeve. especially watching the ncaa tournament, i think it's critical to the future success of our program.

I totally agree! Four scholarships have already been filled and on the surface, four scholarships were available. However, we invariably have a departure or two in the off season and this could be a factor. Similarly, will Dejong have a scholarship next season? There is still a lot to play out. I was hoping we would have a shot at JC big man Chris Boucher. However, his showing this season and in the NJCAA tournament has resulted in mulitple major program interest and offers. Landing him now seems a longshot at best. :( I am not aware of any other "bigs" on the Griz radar, but of course there are always suprises.

We are interested in JC PF's Houston Lavachek and Tanner Morgan. Each are 6'9" and 230 LBS plus. I really don't know much about their games though.

mtgrizrule said:
We are interested in JC PF's Houston Lavachek and Tanner Morgan. Each are 6'9" and 230 LBS plus. I really don't know much about their games though.

While I certainly don't know, im not convinced we are actually recruiting these guys they've been up there since well beforeTinkle left. I could be wrong but I don't get the feeling we're involved

MtTarheel said:
mtgrizrule said:

While I certainly don't know, im not convinced we are actually recruiting these guys they've been up there since well beforeTinkle left. I could be wrong but I don't get the feeling we're involved

Until I see them committing elsewhere, I have to believe we are still on them. We need at least 1 solid post player 6'8" or taller. I have feeling we will have a departure of 1 more player.

I agree too, seems like all we recruit is 3's and 4's. I wonder if playing that position makes you a little more aware.

The last 5 MSU had was Mbunga, and he wasn't that good.

Great thread by the way.

Whoever has that 5 guy that can dominate, will win the league every year.

Didn't Tinkle play that position for you? It would explain why you had a stretch of good ones

...kentucky loses last night...
...if they're not 7' down low...
...case in point..size matters...

... :cool: ...

I am wishing for a surprise "big" from outside the USA. Only way I can see us grabbing a good one and keeping the news out of the E-Griz or other news outlets. Wishing away....

Umista said:
I am wishing for a surprise "big" from outside the USA. Only way I can see us grabbing a good one and keeping the news out of the E-Griz or other news outlets. Wishing away....

couple other ways to have a big on your roster.

--grow 'em. we've got three young kids, samuelson, dejong and moorehead, all in the 6'6" or 6'7" range. maybe one or more will have a growth spurt. michael ray came into our program at 6'3" and left at 6'5"; krysko at 6'7" and left 6'9"; derrek selvig at 6'9" and left a seven footer. p.r.? probably. but let's hope there was some physical maturity as well.

--find the guy who plays way bigger than his size. exhibit a: charles barkley. he was listed at 6'5" but many said he was no more than 6'3", 6'4". yet nobody would argue charles was anything but a "big." a huge factor in the warriors's success this year is draymond green, listed at 6'7", is probably 6'6", yet he defends and rebounds like a big. we had a kid at montana who fit that profile too, kamaar davis. as for international players, great idea. those kids are usually big, versatile and fearless. the big foreign imports have re-defined both the collegiate and pro games--probably the single biggest revolution in basketball over the past 30 years. but i think kerry rupp was our pipeline to australia, maybe somebody knows better than i do on that.

Andrew Strait was another - he was...6'6" or 6'7" (?) and schooled the crap outta the Fazekas kid from NV that was 4/5" taller than him on offense and defense.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
Andrew Strait was another - he was...6'6" or 6'7" (?) and schooled the crap outta the Fazekas kid from NV that was 4/5" taller than him on offense and defense.

that is true. but in the next game, against boston college, strait struggled and we struggled in the paint against their bruisers, one of whom went on to the nba.

citay said:
Umista said:

couple other ways to have a big on your roster.

--grow 'em. we've got three young kids, samuelson, dejong and moorehead, all in the 6'6" or 6'7" range. maybe one or more will have a growth spurt. michael ray came into our program at 6'3" and left at 6'5"; krysko at 6'7" and left 6'9"; derrek selvig at 6'9" and left a seven footer. p.r.? probably. but let's hope there was some physical maturity as well.

--find the guy who plays way bigger than his size. exhibit a: charles barkley. he was listed at 6'5" but many said he was no more than 6'3", 6'4". yet nobody would argue charles was anything but a "big." a huge factor in the warriors's success this year is draymond green, listed at 6'7", is probably 6'6", yet he defends and rebounds like a big. we had a kid at montana who fit that profile too, kamaar davis. as for international players, great idea. those kids are usually big, versatile and fearless. the big foreign imports have re-defined both the collegiate and pro games--probably the single biggest revolution in basketball over the past 30 years. but i think kerry rupp was our pipeline to australia, maybe somebody knows better than i do on that.

I've never stood next to DeJong, but when I see him standing next to Boehning, who is supposed to be 6-10, he doesn't look that much shorter. Doesn't look like the 6-6 they have him listed as on the roster. Hopefully he went through a growth spurt this year. Don't know how good he's going to be, though folks have talked about his athleticism.

Looking forward to seeing both of them on the floor next year.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
Strait was 6'8" and was considered really strong in the BSC and he was good enough to contribute huge in beating Nevada.
If we ever hope to compete outside the BSC, we really need another big like Brian Qvale. It seems we were close to getting a couple of potentially good big kids a few years ago, but kept having some weird thing like academics get in the way. Wisconsin and Syracuse made us look pretty silly when we didn't have any inside game.

the nba uses another measure of "height"--standing reach. so a guy might be 6'6" but have an extradordinary wingspan, and a superior standing reach. be fun to know these stats among our players. as an example, from what i've read of michael oguine, he's about 6', but has long arms. his rebounding stats suggest that he rebounds well above his height.

grizonbob said:
I've never stood next to DeJong, but when I see him standing next to Boehning, who is supposed to be 6-10, he doesn't look that much shorter. Doesn't look like the 6-6 they have him listed as on the roster. Hopefully he went through a growth spurt this year. Don't know how good he's going to be, though folks have talked about his athleticism.
I've puzzled over the same thing. He sure doesn't look much shorter than Boehning and not four inches shorter for sure. His arms are longer and I would bet, overall, he has more reach than Boehning.

For sure, Coach DeCuire kept those two close by the whole season, even to the NIT tournament. Looking forward to seeing how they do.

mtgrizrule said:
MtTarheel said:
mtgrizrule said:

Until I see them committing elsewhere, I have to believe we are still on them. We need at least 1 solid post player 6'8" or taller. I have feeling we will have a departure of 1 more player.
Tanner Morgan is going to Northern Colorado per verbalcommits.

Back