• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Transfer: Ahmadd Rorie

EverettGriz said:
Congratulations on your choice, Ahmadd! Welcome to GRIZ Nation!!

Prepare to win Championships!!!

ZZZZZZ! Do you just stamp this quote into every thread about a new recruit? Get a new line already.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
EverettGriz said:

ZZZZZZ! Do you just stamp this quote into every thread about a new recruit? Get a new line already.
Well, Sunshine, when it comes to Griz hoops, winning championships is a pretty reasonable expectation! :thumb:

Atlanta Griz1 said:
EverettGriz said:

Yes. I do. I have for years.

In fact, I type that nearly as often as you change your screen name, Pickle.

GrizWhiz said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
EverettGriz said:

Well, Sunshine, when it comes to Griz hoops, winning championships is a pretty reasonable expectation! :thumb:

Whoa! Win the prestigious Pig Sty Championship! Now that would be quite an accomplishment! Unfortunately, there is only one championship that counts, and that one is seven wins past where the Griz will ever achieve. Just the facts, and another reality check for guys like you who are satisfied getting only close.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
EverettGriz said:

Is being a old cranky dickbag something that comes natural to you? Or do you practice daily to achieve this level of asshattery? Just curious.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
GrizWhiz said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
EverettGriz said:

Whoa! Win the prestigious Pig Sty Championship! Now that would be quite an accomplishment! Unfortunately, there is only one championship that counts, and that one is seven wins past where the Griz will ever achieve. Just the facts, and another reality check for guys like you who are satisfied getting only close.

Then it sounds as if you should go be a "fan" of a program that can win it all. Then you can go fuck up Kansas' board for the better part of a week until you get banned there, too. The good news is you've got a complete arsenal of screen names to bombard them with. However, if you run out, I might suggest "Asshattery".

citay said:
Last November I went out to see the USF-Montana game. As is my custom whenever the Griz play anywhere within driving distance, I got there early so I could visually appraise a team I follow religiously but seldom get to see play in person, parking myself about six rows up right behind the Montana bench. A few of Mario Dunn's relatives were already there, sitting courtside, and I had a short chat with them before going up to where I wanted to sit.
"How does Mario like Montana?" I asked.
"He loves it!" they all exclaimed, almost in unison.
After I got to my seat, I was so intently watching the warm-ups that I failed to notice I had suddenly become part of an oreo cookie, with two burly African-American men to my left, and a very attractive African-American woman on my right. The two men were in animated conversation, but when I got a chance, I said to the one next to me, "Do you have a connection to Montana?"
"I used to play for the Griz," he said. I was trying desperately to place the face, which did seem vaguely familiar, but I just couldn't come up with a name, so the wise-ass in me asserted itself.
"Were you any good? I asked. "And remember. I don't like false modesty."
"I was okay," he said.
"And you are......?"
"Delvon Anderson."
That sent me into a spontaneous outburst of laughter.
"Oh," I said, "You were more than okay! You were good--very good! I remember that team well." We chatted a bit more, but he really wanted to return to his conversation, so I turned to the woman to my right, since the game still hadn't started.
"Did you go to school in Missoula? I asked.
She laughed.
"No, no. We're just dear friends of Travis DeCuire. We think he's a great guy. This is his first head coaching job, and I wanted to give him support."
"I notice you said 'we', but you seem to be alone. Who is we?"
"My son," she said.
"Is your son here too?"
"No," she laughed. "He's playing basketball."
"What position does he play?"
"Guard."
"And where does he play?"
Then she opened up a bit.
"He played high school ball in Washington, and Travis tried to recruit him to Cal. But when they brought in a new coach, and Travis no longer had a spot, my son signed with Oregon. The funny thing is, he signed just before Travis got the job at Montana. If he'd known about that, my son might have signed with Travis. We just think Travis is a great guy. But my son really likes Oregon.
"Is he good?"
"He thinks he might have a chance to start this year, as a true freshman."
"Well, tell me his name, and I'll follow his progress."
"Ahmaad Rorie."

Awesome. Thanks.

Why does he need to sit out an entire year? I'm confused because some transfers are able to play after the first semester at their new school. What's the rule on that?

If a kid drops out of his prior school before the start of the second semester, then he is eligible the second semester of the next year.......Rorie played the entire season last year so he will be eligible after sitting out for 1 year (the same sit out time in both cases).....

BigSkyBears said:
Why does he need to sit out an entire year? I'm confused because some transfers are able to play after the first semester at their new school. What's the rule on that?
That's only for guys who finish their undergraduate degree with eligibility remaining. If, for example, a player redshirts, finishes his degree in 4 years, he can transfer to another school and play his final year right away as he begins grad school, as long as the new school offer a grad degree the original school does not.

grizzle said:
BigSkyBears said:
That's only for guys who finish their undergraduate degree with eligibility remaining. If, for example, a player redshirts, finishes his degree in 4 years, he can transfer to another school and play his final year right away as he begins grad school, as long as the new school offer a grad degree the original school does not.

Is this a rule for basketball or just football? I don't know; just asking.

PlayerRep said:
grizzle said:
BigSkyBears said:

Is this a rule for basketball or just football? I don't know; just asking.

The rule is the same for all scholarship sports. :thumb:

Actually, this rule is not the same for all D-I sports, but it appears to be the same for football, men's and women's basketball and baseball, according to what I looked up.

Ha ha, nice headline: "Oregon Basketball: PG Ahmaad Rorie Transferring to Missouri"

http://autzenzoo.com/2015/07/06/oregon-basketball-pg-ahmaad-rorie-transferring-to-missouri/

Atlanta Griz1 said:

Must you soil the basketball forum, where people actually come to talk about the sport, with your miserable football forum attitude? I'm not even a Griz fan but find your schtick tiring.

Funny, the thing that most draws me to basketball is the challenge of going up against the very best.

One of my proudest sports moments was a few years ago at Pauly Pavilion. There I sat with one of my lifelong friends, a dyed-in-Carolina Blue Tarheel fan, to watch our underdog Griz take on UCLA. We get off to a slow start, but slowly make a comeback, then take the lead. Slowly it dawns on me: Qvale is the best center on the court, Cherry the best point guard. We go into halftime with a small lead, certain that UCLA will come storming back. But--it's just the opposite. We just keep pouring it on. With about five minutes to go, we're up by twenty. With the cat in the bag and the bag in the river, it's UCLA that makes a final push to make the final score "respectable." We win by plus ten.

A couple of years before that, I sat alone in a sports bar to watch a game nobody else wanted to see: Montana v. Nevada. The heralded Nick Fazekas would tear us apart, everybody knew that, so I figured to leave at the half. Well, Fazekas was good, but Strait was better. Matthews and Criswell were superb. We were one game away from the Sweet 16--a game against Boston College that was tied at the half; a game where a B.C. guard who couldn't put the ball in the ocean suddenly got hot, raining threes from all over the court, while our kids went cold. Still: One game from the Sweet 16.

Against the very best. The big boys.

AzOne knows: The easiest way to succeed is to lower the bar for success. My approach--and DeCuire's too evidently--is to raise the bar. To take on challenges. To get better by playing the best. The moments of satisfaction can be few and far between--UCLA in the 70's; the Nevada game; the game at Pauley. But the thrill of victory for me is even more intense than winning a national championship against second-rate competition. Because we did it against the best. We did it against the men.

citay said:
AzOne knows: The easiest way to succeed is to lower the bar for success. My approach--and DeCuire's too evidently--is to raise the bar. To take on challenges. To get better by playing the best. The moments of satisfaction can be few and far between--UCLA in the 70's; the Nevada game; the game at Pauley. But the thrill of victory for me is even more intense than winning a national championship against second-rate competition. Because we did it against the best. We did it against the men.
Yes!

Back