• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Best All Around Player the Griz have ever had?

Who is the Best All Around Griz Mens Basketball Player?

• Matt Martin

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • Michael Ray Richardson

Votes: 51 62.2%
  • Larry Krystkowiak

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Gary Kane

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Martin Breunig

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters
I saw an interview with a couple of NBA players and coaches from the MRR era. They all said he had the most amazing skills, and most potential to be among the greatest NBA players of all time, before his life was ruined by cocaine. No Montana Grizzly BB player is even in the same league as this guy!

Michael Ray certainly left a trail of high opinions about him and shattered expectations.

The NBA even did a documentary on him. It's quite a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChRYXMif8lM

UMGriz75 said:
Michael Ray certainly left a trail of high opinions about him and shattered expectations.

The NBA even did a documentary on him. It's quite a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChRYXMif8lM

I watched it, and it was truly sad how this kid derailed his career and his life. But, the great thing is that he has turned it totally around.

MRR could literally do it all. He was an All-NBA defender, led the league in steals, was a great passer and assist man, could shoot inside and outside, and had one of the quickest first steps of any player I have ever seen. He could score, defend, rebound, and dish out assists. He had it all, man!

Atlanta Griz1 said:
MRR could literally do it all. He was an All-NBA defender, led the league in steals, was a great passer and assist man, could shoot inside and outside, and had one of the quickest first steps of any player I have ever seen. He could score, defend, rebound, and dish out assists. He had it all, man!

Agreed. Just goes to show, 40% of the posters on this board are loco.

citay said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

Agreed. Just goes to show, 40% of the posters on this board are loco.

But in fairness, 20% of the posters account for 80% of the screen names, so...using Algebra for the first time in a while...it's probably more like 16% of posters. But 40 % of posts.

I think.

At the college level, while dribbling the ball, MRR would outrun every player on the floor. It always appeared that the ball hit the floor about four times over the full length of the court.

Fat Bruno said:
I understand ... some people will make any kind of ridiculous claim just to get some bullshit going. In that vein, does anyone remember Schilke? ... can't remember his last name.

There was a Tom Schilke, who was about 7', in the late 60's. I don't remember him doing much though, not even sure he played four years.

GriznWyo said:
Fat Bruno said:
I understand ... some people will make any kind of ridiculous claim just to get some bullshit going. In that vein, does anyone remember Schilke? ... can't remember his last name.
There was a Tom Schilke, who was about 7', in the late 60's. I don't remember him doing much though, not even sure he played four years.
Tom Schilke, a Wisconsin kid, played I think 1963-1966, 6'9". I happened to run across an interesting paper on sports phys. a few years ago while doing some research and saw that he had written it while getting his Master's at UM under Brian Sharkey. Double-checking, I see that he was variously listed at 6'7", 6'8" and 6'9". Maybe he was still growing ... I remember him because of the paper, but I really don't recall him on the court.

http://scholarworks.umt.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=5685&context=etd

The_Real_Chief said:
Ceylon Elgin-Taylor, Michael Ray, or Jordan Hasquet...My vote goes to CET though

Did you ever see MRR play? sorry he would have destroyed the other two you mentioned.

Fat Bruno said:
At the college level, while dribbling the ball, MRR would outrun every player on the floor. It always appeared that the ball hit the floor about four times over the full length of the court.

LOL, I agree. I remember him having the ball in the corner, being closely guarded, and he took that giant first step toward the basket, leaving the defender with his jock-strap in his mouth, and dribbled about one more time before slam-dunking the ball.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
Fat Bruno said:

LOL, I agree. I remember him having the ball in the corner, being closely guarded, and he took that giant first step toward the basket, leaving the defender with his jock-strap in his mouth, and dribbled about one more time before slam-dunking the ball.
He was quicker than a scalded pig.

Paytonlives said:
The_Real_Chief said:
Ceylon Elgin-Taylor, Michael Ray, or Jordan Hasquet...My vote goes to CET though

Did you ever see MRR play? sorry he would have destroyed the other two you mentioned.

In your opinion.

I watched him play and seriously wonder why you guys idolize him the way you do. My guess is that you are just really bad at judging talent and take other people words as gospel.

MM would have taken him apart one on one.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Paytonlives said:
The_Real_Chief said:

In your opinion.

I watched him play and seriously wonder why you guys idolize him the way you do. My guess is that you are just really bad at judging talent and take other people words as gospel.

We hear you prefer Lady Griz games

So, uh, just how close are you and MM? You always did strike me as a boy in denial. MMR didn't dribble the ball ... he rocketed the ball. He’d bat the ball waaaay out in front of him and be on it the instant it came up on the bounce ... everyone else was watching from behind.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Paytonlives said:
The_Real_Chief said:

In your opinion.

Stress on the "ha" in alpha.

citay said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Paytonlives said:
The_Real_Chief said:

In your opinion.

Stress on the "ha" in alpha.

Ceylon Elgin-Taylor used to destroy MM in practice

Back