• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Karl Nicholas commits!

Potomac Griz said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/776905575900717056[/tweet]

:thumb:
Great News!!! Welcome to the Montana Grizzlies Karl!! We already love you! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Three things I like about this commitment.
--Since we lost Paris Austin to Boise State and Jordan Dallas to Weber, it seems to me we've connected with every player we most wanted: Oguine, Pridgett, Anderson, Falls and now Nicholas. If there were kids higher on our want list, I'm not aware of them. I remain convinced that the recruiting philosophy of this coaching staff is paying huge dividends, and that the more quality we attract, the more likely it is we attract other high-level recruits. Water seeks its own level, no?
--This opens up a new and important recruiting pipeline for us--Texas. I see we're after at least one other recruit from Texas. And of course, Weber State has benefitted tremendously from this pipeline, with Bolomboy now in the NBA, and three other Texas kids on their current roster, while the Bobcats are where they are in football largely because of their Texas pipeline. I'm very happy to see this development.
--Finally, getting a Nicholas-quality player up front comes just in the nick of time. Remember, Weber beat us for Jordan Dallas, a big out of Long Beach Poly who will be a redshirt freshman this year, and they've added a four-star high school recruit, Brekkott Chapman, who transfers in from Utah with two more years of eligibility, after he sits out next year. Add in another quality big in Zach Braxton, only a sophomore, and the Wildcats are set for several years with quality bigs. Good finally to see some athletic bigs in our program.

citay said:
Three things I like about this commitment.
--Since we lost Paris Austin to Boise State and Jordan Dallas to Weber, it seems to me we've connected with every player we most wanted: Oguine, Pridgett, Anderson, Falls and now Nicholas. If there were kids higher on our want list, I'm not aware of them. I remain convinced that the recruiting philosophy of this coaching staff is paying huge dividends, and that the more quality we attract, the more likely it is we attract other high-level recruits. Water seeks its own level, no?
--This opens up a new and important recruiting pipeline for us--Texas. I see we're after at least one other recruit from Texas. And of course, Weber State has benefitted tremendously from this pipeline, with Bolomboy now in the NBA, and three other Texas kids on their current roster, while the Bobcats are where they are in football largely because of their Texas pipeline. I'm very happy to see this development.
--Finally, getting a Nicholas-quality player up front comes just in the nick of time. Remember, Weber beat us for Jordan Dallas, a big out of Long Beach Poly who will be a redshirt freshman this year, and they've added a four-star high school recruit, Brekkott Chapman, who transfers in from Utah with two more years of eligibility, after he sits out next year. Add in another quality big in Zach Braxton, only a sophomore, and the Wildcats are set for several years with quality bigs. Good finally to see some athletic bigs in our program.

Just to clear something up here: Weber didn't really beat Montana on Jordan Dallas. Montana identified the prospects it wanted in that class and essentially got them. They got in late on Paris after Travis was hired and did lose him to Boise (but I would venture in hindsight they're ok with that because of what Oguine has become both on and off the court). They never brought Dallas to campus and never went to see him play. The Griz were never really in play there

I am so impressed with what this staff has accomplished in a relatively short period of time. Dramatically upgraded the level of talent and athleticism of this team. It's going to be a blast to watch this roster develop over the next couple years! Congrats to DeCuire and staff! Go Griz!

Help me out here. Could this be more about getting a foothold in recruiting in Texas. His interest from other schools appeared to be tepid. That being said I did not check out his body of work last year or what his upside may be.

If other schools had only a "tepid" response to Karl, they missed the boat. I saw him scrimmage with the team the Friday night of his visit. He has the skills of our fine group of guards with the height and hops to play inside the with the bigs. Karl is a quality recruit. As a matter of fact, I question when we have ever had a recruit in his mid-size range with his skill set. Some of you who have been around for awhile might remember someone, but no doubt we have had some great bigs and some some great smalls but when have we ever had a mid-size freshman recruit with this skill level?

I do hope this opens Texas for recruiting but that doesn't explain why they wanted Karl.

I see him as taller than Kareem Jamar but much quicker. I think you will be impressed.

Likewise, we should all be talking about Sayeed - at the Friday night shoot around that I watched, you would never have picked him out as an incoming incoming freshman.

616s6e said:
If other schools had only a "tepid" response to Karl, they missed the boat. I saw him scrimmage with the team the Friday night of his visit. He has the skills of our fine group of guards with the height and hops to play inside the with the bigs. Karl is a quality recruit. As a matter of fact, I question when we have ever had a recruit in his mid-size range with his skill set. Some of you who have been around for awhile might remember someone, but no doubt we have had some great bigs and some some great smalls but when have we ever had a mid-size freshman recruit with this skill level?

I do hope this opens Texas for recruiting but that doesn't explain why they wanted Karl.

I see him as taller than Kareem Jamar but much quicker. I think you will be impressed.

Likewise, we should all be talking about Sayeed - at the Friday night shoot around that I watched, you would never have picked him out as an incoming incoming freshman.
I appreciate hearing from someone who has recently watched the team! :thumb: Did you notice if Alphonso Anderson was playing?

Alphonso wasn't playing Friday night. The rumor is that he had his knee scoped after his high school year and had to have that "touched up" about a month ago. I hear that he plans to be be "playing" sometime in December - but that is all from the grapevine. He may be shooting around with the team but I don't think he is running at this point. Anyone have any better information?

By the way, the two transfer "bigs" who will redshirt this year looked like they will be very nice additions. And Fab seems to have lost some weight and added some quicks and hops. I assume that Kyle Sample will have an in-depth pre-season report soon that give us the straight information.

bobaloo said:
Help me out here. Could this be more about getting a foothold in recruiting in Texas. His interest from other schools appeared to be tepid. That being said I did not check out his body of work last year or what his upside may be.

No, it's not about gaining foothold in Texas. It's about Karl. I wouldn't be too worried about him having little interest from bigger programs. Joel Bolomboy didn't and Karl is really similar to Joel at that age, but Karl's offensive game is more advanced

kyle_sample said:
bobaloo said:

No, it's not about gaining foothold in Texas. It's about Karl. I wouldn't be too worried about him having little interest from bigger programs. Joel Bolomboy didn't and Karl is really similar to Joel at that age, but Karl's offensive game is more advanced

I agree. Look at his tape. Look at his touch around the basket. He has a very soft touch. He goes hard to the basket, but still has the ball come off with a great touch.

grizatwork said:
kyle_sample said:
bobaloo said:

I agree. Look at his tape. Look at his touch around the basket. He has a very soft touch. He goes hard to the basket, but still has the ball come off with a great touch.
great pick up. This is the type of player that helps you take that next step.

kyle_sample said:
bobaloo said:

:eek:

Back