• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kyle Sample moving on

'68griz said:
grizzlyjournal said:
UMGriz75 said:
PlayerRep said:
From the Kaimin on Sept. 30, but the Kaimin chart shows the 4,000 or so difference. Look at the frosh numbers.

"This year, MSU has 1,635 in-state freshmen, almost double what UM has. While it’s important to consider that MSU has around 6,000 more students than UM, and therefore should have more freshmen, UM’s numbers have dropped significantly.

Since 2010, UM’s resident freshman enrollment has dropped nearly 40 percent, while MSU’s has remained stable."

http://www.montanakaimin.com/news/why-montana-students-flock-to-msu-while-um-s-enrollment/article_2aa74de6-8663-11e6-b157-6bcf591c82e0.html
Engstrom I think finally realizes he's screwed the pooch. He's spent six years dilly-dallying in amateur-land, blaming in-house recruiting, then out-house recruiting, then finally in-house recruiting again (didn't process applications efficiently). The advertisements are horrible. He's doing virtually nothing personally, relying instead on "recruiters," and can't seem to "get it." He is the worst thing to ever happen to the University of Montana. BOR wants to give him his second bonus.

The frosh numbers are the key. In three years, UM will be at about 8,000 students and MSU will be at about 20,000.

Engstrom will be retired and about a million dollars richer.

"The Frosh numbers are the key." Sadly, correct. I had a recent personal discussion of confirmation from a young relative. My grand-niece is a senior in a Montana H.S., an outstanding and well-rounded student who will be her school's valedictorian and is currently being recruited by schools in the region. I asked her if she'd been in contact with UM and MSU and she responded that MSU reps (from several departments) have emailed, texted or called her on an "almost daily" basis since last spring. "What about UM," I asked. She shrugged (knowing I'm a loyal grad) and said, "I think the last time I got something from them was last June."
That was almost identically the case with my daughter ... 18 years ago! UM seemed to have no interest in this outstanding young woman, yet more than 20 other schools offered her scholarships.

UM doesn't care about anything but sports. If you can play a game well, they will be all over you...If not, they don't care.

Just looked at the numbers in the Commissioner's Office.

It's worse than UM is letting on. Much worse.

For Resident Undergraduate Students, UM has lost 32% of its FTE equivalent enrollment since the year Engstrom took office. It's even worse than that. UM lost a full 9% of its Resident Undergraduate Students just in the last year alone. And in a couple of weeks, when final enrollment figures are released, both numbers will be worse.

This is a catastrophe. The problem is not being solved, it is getting worse and accelerating.

This was the genius assessment made September 19, 2013:

The University of Montana is experiencing an “enrollment problem” and has taken several steps to reverse the trend, the school’s president told the Montana Board of Regents on Wednesday. ...

“We do have a problem within the UM affiliation,” UM President Royce Engstrom told regents. “We have an enrollment problem.”
http://missoulian.com/news/local/um-has-enrollment-problem-engstrom-tells-regents/article_dd8f396a-20c6-11e3-8db7-001a4bcf887a.html

Yes, it's a problem "within the UM affiliation."

His office is in Main Hall.

UMGriz75 said:
maroonandsilver said:
UMGriz75 said:
Kyle was a very good writer, and readers could see that he was passionate about the sports he covered. His outreach to fans, such as here on egriz, was very welcome.
I, for one, will miss his sharing of Griz info on eGriz.
Given his comments on another thread where he denounced, unfairly and dishonestly, a former supporter's observations as "complete bullshit," I saw a venal and vindictive side of Sample I did not see before. I retract my positive observations.

I can only assume that when he says my comments are "complete bullshit" that he is also including my comments about him as a reporter. OK, Kyle, have it your way. The result is that Kyle is part of the problem, not the objective journalist any sport needs and what he only pretended to be. The coach post-game pressers will tell all you will ever know from that source. Don't waste your $90. I've asked for mine back.

Thanks again for bringing your shenanigans to yet another thread. Sigh...

gotgame75 said:
UMGriz75 said:
maroonandsilver said:
UMGriz75 said:
Kyle was a very good writer, and readers could see that he was passionate about the sports he covered. His outreach to fans, such as here on egriz, was very welcome.
I, for one, will miss his sharing of Griz info on eGriz.
Given his comments on another thread where he denounced, unfairly and dishonestly, a former supporter's observations as "complete bullshit," I saw a venal and vindictive side of Sample I did not see before. I retract my positive observations.

I can only assume that when he says my comments are "complete bullshit" that he is also including my comments about him as a reporter. OK, Kyle, have it your way. The result is that Kyle is part of the problem, not the objective journalist any sport needs and what he only pretended to be. The coach post-game pressers will tell all you will ever know from that source. Don't waste your $90. I've asked for mine back.
Thanks again for bringing your shenanigans to yet another thread. Sigh...

75 is a piece of work.

Back