• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Late Game Strategy

Mousegriz said:
... My only comment about late game strategy is that Griz have seemed to lose more close ones late the past couple years than they did under Tinkle. Tinkle had some of the best "warriors" in school history though (Kareem, Will, Gregory). Along with talent those guys seemed to shine when the game was on the line. Seems we're missing "that guy" the past two years.
Some observations (looking at a lot of stats but only parts of several games when I could find a streaming that worked).

Considering the (lack of) size up front, the Griz have done surprisingly well rebounding. They have been out-rebounded, overall, but not by a lot … 244 vs 231. (Have to admit … that was closer than I expected.)

Also along those lines, the “bigs?” have scored 147 of of the Griz’s 484 points (30%). But that’s largely because Lopez (listed as a Forward, but plays more like a guard) had a stretch where he shot lights-out on treys, putting him overall at 12-21 (57%). Still, all thing taken into account, that’s pretty amazing since the Griz don’t even show a “Center” on the roster. It helps, of course, that the Griz have some size at Guard.

One of my takes is that (as usual) the Griz have to work extra hard to score points. They are not going to get many (any?) easy buckets inside. My impression -- could be wrong due to relatively limited viewing -- is that most of their offensive rebounds are tap-outs or grab-and-pass, and not that many put-backs. I worry if they have to depend largely on making a lot of threes. Maybe they could bring back the almost-extinct mid-range jumper. :lol:

Another problem is the lack of bulk inside. Too many times, the Griz have been man-handled around the basket. They’ve made up for some of that with skill and finesse. But I recall at least a couple games where the guys inside just flat-out got worn down late in the game. Or (and) they piled up fouls because trying to push back against a guy who outweighs you by 20-40 pounds it a lot more obvious than him just basically leaning on you. I think this is one of the two things that limit the coach's options late in the game -- what size we have inside is worn down or has fouled out. Coach Decuire has not been able to land players who could alleviate this problem.

The lack of a big backstop for inside defense forces the Griz to be super-active, but sound in their fundamentals, everywhere else. Tough to do for a whole ball game, and the problem shows up more late in the game when everyone has lost a step of energy. So that too limits what you can do.

I think the Griz have a lot of potential to do some damage when they start playing teams more in their competitive bracket. They have some good athletes, a lot of quickness and play (at times, anyway) with great intensity. It’s encouraging that I see ten players who have averaged over 12-min per game in PT. Part of that is obviously trying out different combinations, but it suggests the Griz could end up with pretty good depth for the conference schedule.

IdaGriz01 said:
Mousegriz said:
... My only comment about late game strategy is that Griz have seemed to lose more close ones late the past couple years than they did under Tinkle. Tinkle had some of the best "warriors" in school history though (Kareem, Will, Gregory). Along with talent those guys seemed to shine when the game was on the line. Seems we're missing "that guy" the past two years.
Some observations (looking at a lot of stats but only parts of several games when I could find a streaming that worked).

Considering the (lack of) size up front, the Griz have done surprisingly well rebounding. They have been out-rebounded, overall, but not by a lot … 244 vs 231. (Have to admit … that was closer than I expected.)

Also along those lines, the “bigs?” have scored 147 of of the Griz’s 484 points (30%). But that’s largely because Lopez (listed as a Forward, but plays more like a guard) had a stretch where he shot lights-out on treys, putting him overall at 12-21 (57%). Still, all thing taken into account, that’s pretty amazing since the Griz don’t even show a “Center” on the roster. It helps, of course, that the Griz have some size at Guard.

One of my takes is that (as usual) the Griz have to work extra hard to score points. They are not going to get many (any?) easy buckets inside. My impression -- could be wrong due to relatively limited viewing -- is that most of their offensive rebounds are tap-outs or grab-and-pass, and not that many put-backs. I worry if they have to depend largely on making a lot of threes. Maybe they could bring back the almost-extinct mid-range jumper. :lol:

Another problem is the lack of bulk inside. Too many times, the Griz have been man-handled around the basket. They’ve made up for some of that with skill and finesse. But I recall at least a couple games where the guys inside just flat-out got worn down late in the game. Or (and) they piled up fouls because trying to push back against a guy who outweighs you by 20-40 pounds it a lot more obvious than him just basically leaning on you. I think this is one of the two things that limit the coach's options late in the game -- what size we have inside is worn down or has fouled out. Coach Decuire has not been able to land players who could alleviate this problem.

The lack of a big backstop for inside defense forces the Griz to be super-active, but sound in their fundamentals, everywhere else. Tough to do for a whole ball game, and the problem shows up more late in the game when everyone has lost a step of energy. So that too limits what you can do.

I think the Griz have a lot of potential to do some damage when they start playing teams more in their competitive bracket. They have some good athletes, a lot of quickness and play (at times, anyway) with great intensity. It’s encouraging that I see ten players who have averaged over 12-min per game in PT. Part of that is obviously trying out different combinations, but it suggests the Griz could end up with pretty good depth for the conference schedule.

Nice post!

UMGriz75 said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Reason #3295: Nobody suggests that, with a record of 1-6, Coach Decuire should be fired. People understand that the basketball program is a work in progress.
People don't have to listen to Coach DeCuire's ego constantly get in the way. He impresses all as honest, straightforward and when he promises innovation, he delivers. He has a clear path to improving Griz basketball by using the approach, "true gold does not fear the refiner's fire." He tests the team by taking on distinctive challenges, not trying to find cupcakes to run up the stats.

Could you please lend an example of his innovation. There isn't anything about the offense or defense that is innovative

Nicely stated Um Griz 75. Travis is top notch. Last year, MO seemed to want to be that guy which is tough for a true freshman. This year when fully healthy he could give a go again.

I don't see any "innovations" in our offense or defense. In fact, I've only seen three innovations in all of basketball over the past several decades:
1. Tight trapping defense. Defensive schemes are so much better today than they were twenty or thirty years ago. Fast-break basketball has been with us on offense for a long time, but the defense has caught up.
2. The importation, both at the professional and collegiate levels, of international talent. We used to think, if you weren't American, you couldn't play in the NBA. Wrong! And have you seen this year's version of St. Mary's? Wow, this team is ranked tenth right now, and could go much higher. Why? Seven Australians on their roster. Come to think of it...Krslovic...Lopez...Breunig.
3. The three-point shot. Coaches everywhere were slow to adjust to it. Reggie Miller on TNT was just comparing the number of three point shots he took, versus how many the Splash Brothers take. But it took some genius way too long to figure out that if you made one-third of your three-point shots, that was the same as making 50% of your two point shots. But when Steph Curry started approaching 45% on three's..whoa! That really changed the game. Now you've got this kid Lorenzo Ball at UCLA who looks like another dead-eye shooter from long-range. Game changers.

As for DeCuire, we're talking semantics here. Maybe he's not "innovative" but he sure has stepped up the game at Montana, both through recruiting and scheduling, and that has a lot of us hard-core Griz basketball fans pumping our fists and eagerly awaiting next year, when the big 'uns show up.

His name is Lonzo not Lorenzo and he is not a dead eye shooter or even close to it....he shoots the 3 ball at about 35% even though he has started his college career out shooting at about 45% so far (relatively small sample size) but his great abilities are ball handling and assists, he leads D1 in assist per game...will definitely be a lottery pick...I've seen him half dozen times in HS and now 3 games in college...different type of talent but a lot like Jason Kidd when he was in college...one of the only players I've ever seen who can control a game without scoring much...

Well, thank you for your attention to detail, stateman. Lonzo it is. But don't miss my larger point:That the three-point shot has transformed basketball at all levels. Exhibit A would be Chino Hills, which I saw play for the first time against De La Salle in the championship game last spring. LAGriz on this board had been touting Chino all year, and I frankly didn't believe any high school team could be as good as he reported.
Ah, yes...they were that good. Chino shot three's mercilessly, almost unconsciously, sometimes seemingly from mid-court. And not only did they make a good share of those shots, it opened up the entire floor for Lonzo's incredible passing skills. They were behind at the half, but buried De La Salle in the second.The three-point shot was an incredible weapon for them, and that was my main point.
Hey! Rule One in Life: Don't count turds when you're on the Champs Elysees! You'll miss the larger picture.

I was at that game too citrenzay...oh, my bad....i meant citay....my main point was he is not exactly a dead eye shooter but he will cast off from anywhere....and he controls games without necessarily being a big scorer...

citay said:
Well, thank you for your attention to detail, stateman. Lonzo it is. But don't miss my larger point:That the three-point shot has transformed basketball at all levels. Exhibit A would be Chino Hills, which I saw play for the first time against De La Salle in the championship game last spring. LAGriz on this board had been touting Chino all year, and I frankly didn't believe any high school team could be as good as he reported.
Ah, yes...they were that good. Chino shot three's mercilessly, almost unconsciously, sometimes seemingly from mid-court. And not only did they make a good share of those shots, it opened up the entire floor for Lonzo's incredible passing skills. They were behind at the half, but buried De La Salle in the second.The three-point shot was an incredible weapon for them, and that was my main point.
Hey! Rule One in Life: Don't count turds when you're on the Champs Elysees! You'll miss the larger picture.

Maybe not on topic of the thread, but relevant to what you and Sac are talking about:

https://theringer.com/lonzo-ball-ucla-bruins-freshman-point-guard-280a7cdbc284#.rvtealckc

Back