• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Bobs

citygriz

Talk about inflection points in a basketball program.

Flash back to 2005-06. Under Krysko, the Griz had just come within one half of reaching the Sweet 16. But in one of the worst kept secrets, Krysko's wife was not happy in Missoula, and we all knew he was destined for bigger and better things, probably in the NBA. Likely one of his two assistants, Brad Huse or Wayne Tinkle, would ascend to the head coaching position. But, lo! The Bobs swooped in and grabbed the guy I thought was the better choice, Brad Huse. Huse was smart, disciplined, and more than anything, had the enduring respect and friendship of Krysko. My first thought? Rats! We lost the better guy. Now we're stuck with Tinks. Good luck to us.

But life is full of surprises, no? When I saw Tinks pre-game in the lobby at the USF Gym, talking to a couple of key AAU coaches in the Bay Area, I changed my mind. He had a commanding presence, and undiluted charm. You could see these AAU coaches genuinely liked him. He connected. And once Bill Evans arrived with his bag of x's and o's, the Griz were set for some wonderful success, the while the Bobcats floundered under Huse's rigidity, and evident lack of recruiting success.

But a decade later, it appears the Cats have their guy in Brian Fish. The guy can recruit. He got a guy we were reported to have wanted, Mandrell Worthy. Tyler Hall is destined to be one of their best ever. To go on the road and be competitive at Washington State and at Utah has caught my attention. And I say--great! While we've pretty much owned them for a decade, this isn't really what you want in a strong rivalry. You want an enemy, a formidable foe, because there's nothing like an enemy to rally Griz fans. Looks like the Cats are getting there. And given what we know DeCuire is doing with our program, this should be fun. I'm looking forward to some packed arenas when these two programs meet.

Cats gave Huse eight years to try and get a winning season, and he did, barely, in his fourth year (must of been his recruits!) but it was pretty much downhill after that. Peter Fields bought into the "just wait until next year!" story so many times it spelled the end of his own career. Ironic that he brought Fish on and was then fired. Moral to the story: don't double-down on failure. Nobody wins.

Fish seems to have found the key. His name is Hall.

Another benefit of having a tough Bobcats team in Bozeman is that the Montana road swing for opposing Big Sky teams becomes a challenge to get even a split. It doesn't mean as much as it used to, now that all teams qualify for the tourney, but it's nice to have the Cats rough up Weber State a bit before they stop off in Missoula.

...huse was an ok coach...
...attitude and personality...
...got in the way of his success...

... :twocents: ...

It was Brad Huse...Montana St head coach from 2006-2014....I assume you have a computer in front of you.....google it....I did...

sacstateman said:
It was Brad Huse...Montana St head coach from 2006-2014....I assume you have a computer in front of you.....google it....I did...

You must have mis-typed Google.com and ended up on some fake search site....

When I google "Brad Huse" it suggests "Ron Huse" and has no results for "Brad Huse" & "Montana State"

h1OR3hB.jpg

Anyway, back on topic... City hit the nail on the head. Initially it looked like the cats ended up with the better coach out it, but Tinks just needed a little time and then we started to see what he was capable of. Hell of a recruiter and we were lucky to have him here!

He's having a rough year at Oregon State this year unfortunately, but injuries have killed them. Tres Tinkle is out now and he was averaging over 20 points a game & 8 rebounds a game. In the game he got hurt he had 31 points, 10 rebounds and 6 steals. He's missed the last 3 games for them with an injury.

sacstateman said:

It's an inside joke, sac.

I've been to every home game the past two years and starting to get concerned about Fish and his in-game antics. I sense that these young guys are starting to get worn down by his negative attitude and almost constant berating of players.

Great recruiter and a fun guy to be around off the court, but IMO he needs to tone down the act a bit because it's wearing thin on this young group.

Walkon79 said:
I've been to every home game the past two years and starting to get concerned about Fish and his in-game antics. I sense that these young guys are starting to get worn down by his negative attitude and almost constant berating of players.
I mentioned this last season after watching one of the games, and thought "holy cow, this guy makes some deep cuts, doesn't let up, and seems to think that screaming makes more points." From Heathcote forward, I've seen a lot of red-faced coach episodes, but Fish ....

Back