• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Idaho Tip in beats Grizzlies

Proud Griz Man

DONOR
We all knew it was going to be a difficult road trip.

. . . game in which Idaho consistently came up with big plays, it saved the best for last. Nate Sherwood tipped in Brayon Blake’s missed baseline drive at the buzzer as the Vandals edged Montana 79-77 in overtime in Cowan Spectrum on Saturday. Blake led Idaho with 27 points.

Sherwood said the plan was to get the ball in his hands for the final shot. When he drove, Montana’s interior defenders moved to challenge him. That left Sherwood alone for the tip. “I happened to be in the right spot at the right time,” he said. “(Blake) drove it strong to the basket. They rotated over, and Nate came from the weak side,” Idaho coach Don Verlin said. Verlin had expected rebounding to be key. “What did it do? It came down to a rebound to win the game,” he said. “What a play by Nate Sherwood. “Our guys played extremely hard. They fought like crazy. “I thought they turned in a heck of an effort tonight.”

The Vandals played the conclusion without their career No. 2 scorer, Victor Sanders. He fouled out with 21 points with 3:46 left in overtime. The Grizzlies’ Michael Oguine hit a pair of free throws to put Montana up 73-71, but Blake made that short-lived. He responded with a driving layup, and after he was fouled by Fabijan Krslovic, Blake hit the free throw.

The teams reached overtime when Blake fouled Kryslovic with 46 seconds to play in regulation. Kryslovic’s first free throw crawled over the front rim. The second, though, rimmed out. That left the score tied at 71. After Sherwood missed a jump shot, Montana got two more tries in the final 20 seconds. Rorie Ahmaad led the Grizzlies with 21 points, but he missed a shot with 6 seconds to play, and Bobby Moorehead’s putback from the baseline fell short as time ran out. Idaho enjoyed a pair of 10-point leads in the first half. But the Grizzlies overcame both, and Montana enjoyed a couple of brief leads it couldn’t extend.

. . . Montana’s success doubling Idaho’s ball screens, though, led in part to Idaho’s 16 turnovers and forced the Vandals to go away from that offense. “Their ball screen defense was excellent tonight,” Verlin said. “We stopped running our ball screen stuff and ran an old package.” The win improved Idaho to 19-7, 11-3 in the Big Sky Conference. After falling to Eastern Washington Thursday, Montana has absorbed its second conference loss. The Grizzlies are 20-7, 13-2 in the league.
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/feb/17/nate-sherwoods-buzzer-beating-tip-helps-idaho-drop/

In a nutshell, it was our "D" versus their three's. Back in the two-point era, we would have won a game like this handily, because I think we're the better team. But the three-ball is the great equalizer today. If we could shoot three's consistently, we'd be doubly dangerous since it would also open up the low-post game for both Akoh and Krslovic.

But I couldn't be more proud of our team. They took on a hot-shooting team, the pre-season favorite, on their court, and damned near won it. We'll be fine for the tournament.

One question: Why not a time out to set up a play on that final possession in regulation? Were we out of time outs?

Agree I didn't love our last look....thought we should have drove and got fouled or got it down low as opposed to Rorie pulling up from 20. Although there wouldn't have been an OT without that amazing 3 pointer Rorie knocked down just moments before.

I watched the end of the first half, the end of regulation, and the full overtime, do to the stagger between our game and your's. I thought UM should have been riding the horse inside more than you did. UI was over playing your guard line from what I could see. I'm sure that if you meet again in Reno you will see a new approach to that sort of D. UI's guards are a little bit bigger and maybe a little less athletic, but seemed to be on an even par. UM is stronger inside. On paper, UM should have won that game. It looked like a highly emotional game. That sort of game often goes to the home team. That last play was pure luck and guts. If you do play again, I think UM wins.

Went to the game...thought the reffing was horrId on both sides...Idaho was flopping like crazy and getting charge after charge. Then they all the sudden thought then the refs changed mid way through and couldn’t get the same call...too many reviews that slow the game down. Vic’s 4th foul when he was trying to come off a screen and changed direction and got called for an offensive foul was odd. Our guard play was different cause Perrion Callendret is on don verlins fecal roster he usually plays 25+ minutes...and he played 5. So Vic and Trevon Allen ran the point and they are a little turnover happy. I don’t see Montana losing again in the season. Idaho will lose to Weber on the road. They will end up 3rd. Idaho’s bigs actually are really efficient shootings threes makes for a great neutralizer against getting schooled on the block. Natr Sherwood who made the winning tip in made 4 triples against ewu. Jordon Scott the other big is right around 50% from three. So Idaho basically is recruiting and playing the basketball analytics game a little bit...dunks and threes is their offense.

oldrunner said:
I watched the end of the first half, the end of regulation, and the full overtime, do to the stagger between our game and your's. I thought UM should have been riding the horse inside more than you did. UI was over playing your guard line from what I could see. I'm sure that if you meet again in Reno you will see a new approach to that sort of D. UI's guards are a little bit bigger and maybe a little less athletic, but seemed to be on an even par. UM is stronger inside. On paper, UM should have won that game. It looked like a highly emotional game. That sort of game often goes to the home team. That last play was pure luck and guts. If you do play again, I think UM wins.

Astute analysis, oldrunner. Maybe what you didn't see was the first half play where Idaho packed the key on D (and 2-4 odd fouls on Montana) forcing the Griz to shoot from the perimeter. The Griz actually did a lot better w/penetration early in the second half to pull even. I believe it was a good game, the classic Big Sky clash featuring opponents who know each other's offense inside out. Montana is not the outside shooting team that Idaho, EWU, UNC and Weber State are; they're going to have to keep working on their inside game. As citay said, they'll be ok. Meanwhile, Randy Rahe has the Wildcats (now healthy, I assume) hitting stride. Their late game passing against PSU was impressive. I think any of 5 teams could win it all this year, depending on matchups in the first two rounds.

Idaho had the same strategy as everyone else and success is 100% about the refs. flop down low all day on the bigs and play the perimeter. we already are mid par 3 shooters and if the refs call our bigs down low, then we are screwed. The refs called charge after charge after charge on flops. On replay the one on Akoh, the guy literally used his bottom had to push off Akoh's back and fell backwards. The ref down low saw it and the ref on the sideline called the charge. The officiating is so inconsistent its hard on teams to understand how to play the game. Bigs all around the league have to be frustrated. The last play in overtime is one of the easiest calls in the game. officials are taught in training to watch a player follow through the shot on a drive. if they keep moving forward and a defender is square...its a charge. They even go as far to state that the Defender doesn't need to be planted either as they are in legal guarding position if they are square to the shooter. It was black and white and they just don't have the confidence to make the right call.

mtgrizfankb said:
Idaho had the same strategy as everyone else and success is 100% about the refs. flop down low all day on the bigs and play the perimeter. we already are mid par 3 shooters and if the refs call our bigs down low, then we are screwed. The refs called charge after charge after charge on flops. On replay the one on Akoh, the guy literally used his bottom had to push off Akoh's back and fell backwards. The ref down low saw it and the ref on the sideline called the charge. The officiating is so inconsistent its hard on teams to understand how to play the game. Bigs all around the league have to be frustrated. The last play in overtime is one of the easiest calls in the game. officials are taught in training to watch a player follow through the shot on a drive. if they keep moving forward and a defender is square...its a charge. They even go as far to state that the Defender doesn't need to be planted either as they are in legal guarding position if they are square to the shooter. It was black and white and they just don't have the confidence to make the right call.

The only charge they didn't call is the only one that should have been called, on the last play when Akoh got steamrolled to the ground after perfect defensive positioning.

#bsc.

EverettGriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:

The only charge they didn't call is the only one that should have been called, on the last play when Akoh got steamrolled to the ground after perfect defensive positioning.

#bsc.

Its quite terrible. It’s bad for the league. If you watch BSC basketball you see the changes. I watched almost every team in OOC then watch them now. Most teams have changed completely in BSC play. Because of our officiating you see less exciting action. Players driving don’t get calls when they should, then they call Ticky tack shit on the perimeter. Charges are about a 50/50 no matter the situation. Traveling gets called on all double moves from 3set. Yet never call it on posts(Akoh included). Tipped balls out of bounds are a ????? It’s really really bad that I cant watch a BSC game that does not have officiating that is highly questionable. It’s poor for all teams and it will doom teams come tourney time.

Spot on, KB.

And I get that officials "swallow their whistles" and "allow the players to determine the game". But that's exactly what Jamar DID! He made a terrific defensive play that at a minimum sends the game to another OT. Yes, officials shouldn't call a foul 15 feet away from the ball in that situation. But they HAVE to call that charge. Not doing so does precisely the OPPOSITE of what they are trying to do: keep officials from determining the game.

This of course is why, before every Big Sky game, it has to be acknowleged by everyone that how referees call each game will be the most important, and most likely factor in a close game. It is the principle reason I'm having serious issues regarding the long term survival of the Big Sky. The conference has the ability to do something that's fair and equitable, yet we watch game after game where up to 30% of the calls are outright wrong (at best) or absolutely perplexing at worst.

So, I guess the refs in other leagues are better? Did anyone see the game this weekend with Kansas v.West Virginia? Now, West Virginia has a legitimate right to complain but Montana could have beaten Idaho had they made their free throws. This loss cannot be blamed on refs..

GrizLA said:
So, I guess the refs in other leagues are better? Did anyone see the game this weekend with Kansas v.West Virginia? Now, West Virginia has a legitimate right to complain but Montana could have beaten Idaho had they made their free throws. This loss cannot be blamed on refs..

I agree 100%. They lost it at the line. The end of the game was an absolute charge, but the Idaho player made a great play to tip it in. He kept playing and a nice play happened for it. Moot point. Griz need to take care of business at home now. Rest...rest...rest. Get a bye, and run the table by large margins to avoid a 15 seed.

grizzlyjournal said:
This of course is why, before every Big Sky game, it has to be acknowleged by everyone that how referees call each game will be the most important, and most likely factor in a close game. It is the principle reason I'm having serious issues regarding the long term survival of the Big Sky. The conference has the ability to do something that's fair and equitable, yet we watch game after game where up to 30% of the calls are outright wrong (at best) or absolutely perplexing at worst.

I was young when this conference was formed and I too question the ability of this conference to remain relevant. We know those schools that left except for Idaho saw the trend. I sincerely hope Idaho is only dropping down to help us put a bit of sanity into not just the officiating but the loss of regional competition. I'd like to be able to drive to away games on a regular basis rather than go half way across the country or be subjected to sitting and watching a commuter school.

GrizLA said:

I wrote a post just prior to yours where I said that "how" the refs call each Big Sky game will be as influential to the outcome as other factors (shooting, game plan etc.). I've watched enough other games in the Big Sky (where the Griz did not play) that affected the outcomes as well. Literally, no one can predict whether refs will overdose on touch calls, be consistent on charges, or allow for physical play under the basket. Inconsistency from game to game really has players guessing. That said, I agree, the Griz could have won this game. In several areas, acually... not just by making more free throws. They played well enough to beat Idaho. Missed opportunities. I guess I'm hoping the players rebound solidly from this loss.They certainly still have the ability to win in both the conference and tourney standings. Go Griz.

GrizLA said:

yes officials in other leagues are better. the Kansas game was interesting. While i agree the disparity was poor, WVU was hacking and trying to be physical. Officials called fouls from the jump and they never adjusted....assuming they would start letting more go. that was poor coaching. but yes....the officials we have in the bsc are part of our pool and are the bottom officials from other pools. we don't pay enough or have enough consistency or attention to get the upper officials. The big sky could fix this in multiple ways....but they don't and are just okay with meritocracy. Most the officials that do games in the BSC also have to do other lower levels and consistency is a major issue. So to answer your question, yes! other conferences officials are better than the big sky. I would say BSC officiating is bottom 6-7 in the nation for conferences. I'm not saying the officials cost the game....because Idaho adapted to officiating better in most situations but....how can you adapt....and do the exact thing that was called 5 times earlier...then have a no call? Officials all year have made calls that are out of position and they anticipate. Also have you noticed the late whistles on missed shots? its because officials are "letting them play" through contact if the shot is made and if they miss it....then its a foul. This must be a training thing in some pools tho...as other conferences are at highs for and-1 situations.

HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:
So, I guess the refs in other leagues are better?

You guess correctly.

:stupid:

So you keep saying. Only problem is, you haven't provided one speck of empirical evidence to show that I'm wrong. The way it is in America anymore. Shout louder and maybe you'll convince some people to believe you. Truth and facts be dammed!!

Yes, officials in other leagues are better. Shit, even the bsc admits that.

EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:
So, I guess the refs in other leagues are better?

You guess correctly.

:stupid:

So you keep saying. Only problem is, you haven't provided one speck of empirical evidence to show that I'm wrong. The way it is in America anymore. Shout louder and maybe you'll convince some people to believe you. Truth and facts be dammed!!

Yes, officials in other leagues are better. Shit, even the bsc admits that.

And you have shown nothing that proves that BSC officials are the worst. I am not on here to say they are the best, but overall, officiating is very poor...especially in most of the non P5 leagues. You are the cheerleader for the anti BSC crowd. By the way, I doubt you can find anything from the BSC that "admits" that the BSC officials are the worst. What a whiny ass biatch....that is the truth and a fact...so be damned.

Back