• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Travis is BACK!!!!

Was so excited to see that as well. I'm hoping that's legit and they got him extended. Not sure what else he could mean, but I'll wait for official announcement before I start my official happy dance. Hope it's true!

HookedonGriz said:
Was so excited to see that as well. I'm hoping that's legit and they got him extended. Not sure what else he could mean, but I'll wait for official announcement before I start my official happy dance. Hope it's true!
What else could that mean?? Other than he reached an agreement on an extension?

WaGriz4life said:
HookedonGriz said:

Seems to point that way for sure. But it could also just be him calming any fears his players have of him leaving as there was some Twitter chatter earlier tonight that he was a serious candidate for Colorado St, that he pulled his name, and that other teams are after him now as well. So I could see him making a statement like that to let his players and others know he's not going anywhere...yet. I hope it's the extension though.

HookedonGriz said:
WaGriz4life said:
HookedonGriz said:

Seems to point that way for sure. But it could also just be him calming any fears his players have of him leaving as there was some Twitter chatter earlier tonight that he was a serious candidate for Colorado St, that he pulled his name, and that other teams are after him now as well. So I could see him making a statement like that to let his players and others know he's not going anywhere...yet. I hope it's the extension though.
His contract ran out this year so he reached a new deal. So pumped for him. Hopefully they doubled his salary.

WaGriz4life said:
HookedonGriz said:
WaGriz4life said:
HookedonGriz said:

His contract ran out this year so he reached a new deal. So pumped for him. Hopefully they doubled his salary.

No, his current contract does not expire until June 30, 2019. He is working on an extension beyond that.

I can confirm he interviewed at Colorado State earlier this week before removing his name from the search.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/976625475693953024[/tweet]

WaGriz4life said:
HookedonGriz said:
WaGriz4life said:
HookedonGriz said:

That is not correct though. His current contract was set through June 2019. Supposedly they were renegotiating that and trying to make it better

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/source-montana-grizzlies-head-coach-travis-decuire-working-on-extension/article_bec9c510-1400-54f5-b219-116a7c016056.html

Edit, Colter beat me to it. That's why I'll wait til it's official.

OK, but he said he is excited for 2018-2019. That means he is coming back. And it would be pretty obvious he is getting an extension and raise

WaGriz4life said:
OK, but he said he is excited for 2018-2019. That means he is coming back. And it would be pretty obvious he is getting an extension and raise

Well again since his current contract was set through June of 2019 anyways, it may or may not mean that. I like your enthusiasm though. I do know they are trying to lock him in. Not sure if we have enough dollars but I'm hopeful.

HookedonGriz said:
WaGriz4life said:

Well again since his current contract was set through June of 2019 anyways, it may or may not mean that. I like your enthusiasm though. I do know they are trying to lock him in. Not sure if we have enough dollars but I'm hopeful.

For comparison sake: Larry Eustachy made $1.3 million at Colorado State last season and the position CSU is currently hiring reportedly has a salary of between $900,000 and $1 million. DeCuire's base salary when he inked his current contract in the summer of 2016 was $155,000.

If he has similar raise incentives as the football coaches from UM and Montana State, he receives a 3.5% raise annually, which would mean a $5,425 bump following each of the last two seasons, putting him at around $166,000.

In June, Weber State head coach Randy Rahe agreed to an eight-year extension through the 2023-24 season that pays him a base of $342,594, making him the highest paid coach in the Big Sky Conference. Brian Fish signed a three-year contract at MSU the same time as DeCuire; his base pay started at $158,000.

I think it would have to be either an awfully lucrative or prestigious school to lure Travis away this coming year. He is still under contract for this coming season and with the amount of talent he has coming back I think it would be a mistake!

Next year however ...?!

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
HookedonGriz said:
WaGriz4life said:

For comparison sake: Larry Eustachy made $1.3 million at Colorado State last season and the position CSU is currently hiring reportedly has a salary of between $900,000 and $1 million. DeCuire's base salary when he inked his current contract in the summer of 2016 was $155,000.

If he has similar raise incentives as the football coaches from UM and Montana State, he receives a 3.5% raise annually, which would mean a $5,425 bump following each of the last two seasons, putting him at around $166,000.

In June, Weber State head coach Randy Rahe agreed to an eight-year extension through the 2023-24 season that pays him a base of $342,594, making him the highest paid coach in the Big Sky Conference. Brian Fish signed a three-year contract at MSU the same time as DeCuire; his base pay started at $158,000.

Thanks for the feedback Colter. Gonna be hard to keep him unless UM steps up with a fair salary. Fair meaning they need to make sure he is one of the top tier Big Sky salaries.

And the buyout is.........chump change to power programs. The old saying goes, something like this, male to female(of course, nowadays its optional):
Man: Will you have sex with me for $10?
Woman: No!
Man: How about a million dollars?
Woman: How dare you! What do you think I am?
Man: I think we have determined that. Now we are just haggling on price.

If a big program wants him, and is willing to pay him BIG BUCKS, and whatever buyout, is he willing to take the money and run? Would YOU?

This the nature of mid-level collegiate sports, nationwide.

Is he the Robin Selvig of men's basketball? We'll see.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
HookedonGriz said:
WaGriz4life said:

The annual raises are usually about 2.0%. They were delayed in 2016, but were approved last year
MSU: https://mus.edu/board/meetings/2017/July2017/176-2000-C0717.pdf
UM: https://mus.edu/board/meetings/2017/July2017/176-1000-C0717.pdf

This extension for Travis could include a larger raise, and some new negotiations not usually found in UM coaching contracts

kyle_sample said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:
HookedonGriz said:
WaGriz4life said:

The annual raises are usually about 2.0%. They were delayed in 2016, but were approved last year
MSU: https://mus.edu/board/meetings/2017/July2017/176-2000-C0717.pdf
UM: https://mus.edu/board/meetings/2017/July2017/176-1000-C0717.pdf

This extension for Travis could include a larger raise, and some new negotiations not usually found in UM coaching contracts

Well, that certainly sounds encouraging. Thanks Kyle.

I understand we will not have him much longer. But I am still excited to have him coaching here next year with how good our team will be.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/montana-grizzlies-head-coach-travis-decuire-agree-to-new-/article_cd5a0774-644f-50d2-92d9-1e7f6c79c143.html

Signing an extension is usually done right before a coach leaves and includes a nice buyout for the school

Latest posts

Back