• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ray Howard, RIP

UMGriz75

http://missoulian.com/news/local/obituaries/raymond-howard/article_be7602a0-3db9-11e4-8298-937d5b2ea1e1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"On Saturday, Sept. 13, 2014, Dr. Raymond Howard, a superb physician, Army officer, fisherman, prankster and husband posted for his last formation. Raymond’s passing in Missoula, not far from the Harry Adams Field House where he had moments of both victory and defeat, encompassed a life of service in locations across the globe. Yet no location was as sweet as his beloved Missoula. No place could equal his beloved cabin at Lake McDonald and no teammate or fellow soldier could ever equal or surpass his love for his wife Molly.

"Born in Great Falls on July 8, 1950, a love of basketball, size 15 EEE feet and a sweeping hook shot destined Ray for a high school and college athletic career. A longtime holder of state scoring records, Ray would smile and recall that some of those records were set in losing state title games. In recounting memorable Grizzly games, Ray would recall coach Judd Heathcote quips regarding his somewhat less than blazing speed. His love of the game was always tempered by his deep and abiding appreciation of his teammates, friends and family. These traits and this balance would propel him forward into a life of service to his nation, state and community."

I covered Ray as a sports reporter. He was a great guy. RIP.

My wife called this to my attention yesterday. Too bad. What happened? I played against him in high school. He had a sweet shot. Used to run across him occasionally in Missoula.

i do not remember this ray howard. another ray howard from helena was a member of the fabulous frosh, circa 1954. anybody know anything about him?

citay said:
i do not remember this ray howard. another ray howard from helena was a member of the fabulous frosh, circa 1954. anybody know anything about him?

He died in November 2013. Was a friend of my parents and of mine from my coaching days.

http://helenair.com/news/local/obituaries/raymond-crump-howard/article_6ace9d84-83fa-11e3-b781-0019bb2963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://helenafuneralhome.com/obituaries/raymond-howard-age-78-of-helena/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

January 23, 2014 5:45 am

My name is Raymond Crump Howard and, after 78 years of life, my journey ended at 8:27 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 4, 2013, at my home in Helena. I was surrounded by my wife, Charlene, and daughter, Nava, as I took my last breaths. I fought the good fight until it was time to go. One of the advantages of being in Hospice is that you have time to write your own obituary.

My family and I are very grateful to our “team” of caregivers that have been with us during the past 12 years: (Dr. Shari Marx, Dr. Krause, Dr. Hull, Dr. Heetderks, Dr. Skillman, Dana Hillyer, Pat Trafton, Dr. Mike Emerson and Rocky Mountain Hospice staff: David Klein, Tai Jasmin, Teresa Monson, Jeni Leary, Pastor Steve, Louis and our special angel, Chante Cooper).

Now, let me tell you about my family growing up. I was born on Feb. 20, 1935, in Helena to Norman and Dorothy Howard. My brother, Bob, was six years old when I was born, and four years later, our “baby” sister Dorothy joined our family.

Norman Howard was my father and a best friend. Dad was a powerful role model for each of his three children. My mother, Dorothy, was a beautiful, vivacious woman. Mom expected honesty from her children and to always hold our head high with pride in ourselves and our family. My parents divorced in 1944.

In 1946, Dad married my stepmother, Maxine Elliot Ladd. As a result of their marriage, Delmer and Chuck Ladd became my stepbrothers! Maxine would be a loving and supportive stepmother for 53 years.

I attended Jefferson School in fourth grade and Central School in fifth, seventh and eighth grades. I attended Helena High School and graduated with the wonderful class of 1953. I met many lifelong friends at these schools. Basketball was always a big part of my life, both at Helena High and later at the University of Montana. But, my true introduction to basketball started in junior high at the Seventh Avenue gym AND Coach Lloyd Skor! At the University of Montana, I was a member of the “Fabulous Frosh” basketball team of 1953-1954.

During my junior year at the University of Montana, I met Marylou Crowley from Three Forks. Marylou was attending nursing school in Missoula. In 1957, we were married in Big Timber. Four wonderful sons were born to this marriage, Anthony Raymond, Michael Crump, Jeffrey David and Joel Wendell. Marylou and I were divorced in 1970.

In 1976, I met my love, Charlene Cruz Nava. This year, we celebrated our 33rd wedding anniversary! Our wonderful daughter, Nava Cruzita, was born in 1980.

Living with my terminal illness has given me the opportunity to think about what is really important. There is still so much I want to do. I want to grow old(er) with my best friend and wife, Charlene. I want to build many more memories with my children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. I have come to accept what I could not change. I am at peace.

I am survived by my wife, Charlene, two children, daughter, Nava (Jake) Connor, son, Jeff (Patty) Howard; two daughter-in-laws, Jenny (Dave) Zito, Kay (Bob) Fox; one sister, Donnie Scott, and her four children (Zoe, Lori, Bobby and Edward); my brother Bob’s children, Andy Sr., Quincy and Haley; my father-in-law, Charles Nava; two sister-in-laws, Geri Nava and Marlene (Larry) Ruiz; and our large Connor, Grovom and Nava families. I am also survived by nine wonderful grandchildren, Brittni (Brandon) Howard-Gonzalez, Krista (Chad) Cole, Siena and Phoebe Howard, Stephanie and Nicholas Howard, and Paetyn and Caprice Connor; I am also survived by two amazing great-grandchildren, Kareena Howard and Caiden Cole.

I was predeceased by my parents, Norman and Dorothy Howard, and stepmother, Maxine Ladd Howard; three brothers, Robert “Bob” Howard, Delmer and Chuck Ladd; my mother-in-law, Guadalupe Saldivar Nava; my former wife, Marylou Crowley Houser; and three sons, Anthony Raymond Howard (in 1976), Michael Crump Howard (in 2002) and Joel Wendell Howard (in 2002).

thank you, triwest, for that news, however sad.

howard was a bit modest about his basketball abilities. to me, he was the best player on the fabulous frosh, a bona fide athletic big man. zip rhoades was flashy and al dunham solid at about 6'3", but howard was the key. a knee injury ruined his career--a knee that could have been fixed better than ever with routine surgery today.

don't forget too, both rhoades and howard were black, rhoades from kalispell, howard from helena. this was more than a decade before the atlantic coast conference recruited their first black player, and the all-black starting five at texas western shocked kentucy to win an ncaa championship. i've often wondered how good montana could have been had howard not been hurt--but then they would have run into those great usf teams led by bill russell and k.c. jones.

a personal note. ray howard attended central grade shcool in helena, where my mom began her teaching career. one morning her first year, she arrived at class to find some kid had piled all the books and papers on her desk in a heap, and covered the heap with glue. turned out the culprit was a kid name edumund kemper, who would grow to be 6'9". but instead of a basketball career, kemper became a serial killer. he would have been about ten then, and i believe his first victims were his grandparents, whom he shot when he was 15. after doing time for those killings, and being released because he was under-age with his record completely expunged, he moved to santa cruz, where he became the notorious "co-ed killer." so all types passed through central grade school, from ray howard to edmund kemper.

Let's make it clear.....two Ray Howard's, both MT high school legends and Griz basketballers. I never saw either play but my father played with the "elder" Howard on the UM Fab Frosh and against him when he played for Helena High. Helena High won 3 state titles when he played and he was a dominant force and wonderful person according to those who knew him. Played in an era where black players (he was) weren't always welcome on the road and he handled some interesting situations as a true gentleman.

The "younger" Ray from Great Falls High. Scored 49 points in a losing state title game as a senior. Another gentle giant and will be missed by many who knew him.

RIP both Ray Howards. I was fortunate enough to see many of the younger Ray Howard's Griz games in person and he provided many exciting moments for Montana hoops fans. :thumb:

Ray Howard scored 49 points at the state tournament in Bozeman in 1968, but it was in the semi-finals, not the title game. Wolf Point beat Great Falls 82-79 in OT, IIRC. Howard had his way with John Weeks. Willie Weeks scored 29 points with 20 of them in the 4th quarter and OT.

The game is widely considered to be one of the best of all time. I was a high school frosh at the time and was lucky to see it. That is my memory of Ray Howard.

maroon said:
Ray Howard scored 49 points at the state tournament in Bozeman in 1968, but it was in the semi-finals, not the title game. Wolf Point beat Great Falls 82-79 in OT, IIRC. Howard had his way with John Weeks. Willie Weeks scored 29 points with 20 of them in the 4th quarter and OT.

The game is widely considered to be one of the best of all time. I was a high school frosh at the time and was lucky to see it. That is my memory of Ray Howard.

Wolf Point beat Kalispell and Brent Wilson in the finals that. On my way home from the game, I saw Casey Reilly of Anaconda, and later UM football, walking down the street by himself. I stopped, and he ended up staying at my house that night. I played city league hoops for several years with Brent Wilson, when we were both in our 40's. Over the years, I ran into John Weeks on occasion, as we were from the same reservation. In 1968, Pete Lazetich, later of Stanford and the San Diego Chargers, was the point guard for Billings Senior. Senior was the state champ the prior year. Kirk ? of Helena high graduated in 1968 and I think played for the Griz.

I believe Kirk had the Field House scoring record for a while; he left after what was rumored to be a dispute with Jud Heathcoate: he was killed in a plane crash in the early 80's, if memory serves, your friend, yogi

yogi said:
I believe Kirk had the Field House scoring record for a while; he left after what was rumored to be a dispute with Jud Heathcoate: he was killed in a plane crash in the early 80's, if memory serves, your friend, yogi

Correct, killed with another Griz BB player, Dave Gustufson.

yogi said:

Kirk scored 50 points as a freshman on the JV team

monte is a character said:
Correct, killed with another Griz BB player, Dave Gustufson.

...make that hall of fame...
...griz basketball player...
...dave gustufson...

... :cool:...

yogi said:
Kirk johnson

I guarded Johnson in my last high school game. Went directly from the Civic Center to MT Tech to take the SAT writing sample, without showering. Think I held him to 30. Ha.

Ray Howard (the older)played for the Bengals of Lloyd Skaar(sp) with Russ Sheriff, who was a year behind him but also went to UM and was a hellacious rebounder, The other front-liner on that Helena team (already 6-7 and 6-6) was 6-3 Don Schmidt. Point guard was Bill Gilbert, who coached Bengal track for many years; he was a half-miler, before metrics.

Back