• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

elvis old bull(?)

argh!

DONOR
i read that legendary rez hoopster elvis old bull recently passed away - can anyone confirm?

Yes, died Tuesday in a car accident. Heck of a player for sure.

http://www.kpax.com/news/montana-basketball-great-elvis-old-bull-dies-in-crash/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"In one championship game, Old Bull scored nine points in 36 seconds to rally the Indians in a come-from-behind victory."

He and Larry Pretty Weasel are the 2 best Native Americans to play MT high school hoops. Who knows, maybe the best in the country. Mike Chavez is up there too.

I wish Elvis had played in college. Would have been great to see what he could have done, which I believe would have been alot.

How unfortunate. I heard one coach say you have to guard him as soon as he crosses half court because he is in range then.

If any one is interested in reading a great article abut some amazing basketball players that came from the Crow reservation you should all read this article that was published in Sports Illustrated. It touches on Elvis Old Bull but only a little. Very good read though. I couldn't figure out how to put the link on here but the story is called:

"SHADOW of a NATION The Crows, once proud warriors, now seek glory -- but often find tragedy -- in basketball"

If any of you would like to read a great article that was published by Sports Illustrated about some Crow basketball players you should read the following article:

"SHADOW of a NATION The Crows, once proud warriors, now seek glory -- but often find tragedy -- in basketball"

The article only touches on Elvis Old Bull but it is a very good article that describes the struggles many Native American athletes deal with. Sorry I couldn't figure out how to post a link to the article but if you "google" it, it will pop right up. :thumb:

GrizFan_1997 said:
If any one is interested in reading a great article abut some amazing basketball players that came from the Crow reservation you should all read this article that was published in Sports Illustrated. It touches on Elvis Old Bull but only a little. Very good read though. I couldn't figure out how to put the link on here but the story is called:

Here you go grizfan_1997:

http://www.si.com/vault/1991/02/18/...ry----but-often-find-tragedy----in-basketball

I remember reading that years ago. I thought it was a sad story of failure on ALL sides and I still think it. In my years at UM, two of the people I most admired were Blackfoot but, even growing up in a poverty stricken town like Butte, I only thought I knew what they went through. I remain hopeful, however, that the situation changes. The new focus on tribal education and its positive place at UM is a great start, and to be honest, will have more of an impact on the State of Montana than any athletic program, if it continues to grow. Nowhere else to go but up....

Difficult to exclude a pair of Griz, both J.R. Camel and Don Wetzel (first American Indian to play four years at the D-1 level in the U.S). Also can't exclude Larry Pretty Weasel of Hardin or maybe even Gary Cross Guns (who played for Wetzel at Browning, if I recall).

Griznationalist said:
Difficult to exclude a pair of Griz, both J.R. Camel and Don Wetzel (first American Indian to play four years at the D-1 level in the U.S). Also can't exclude Larry Pretty Weasel of Hardin or maybe even Gary Cross Guns (who played for Wetzel at Browning, if I recall).

Complete whiff on my part. I agree on all 4. Amazing the talent we have witnessed, just from reservations.

I remember playing in a tournament in Havre against Box Elder. Before the game the Indian kids were running up and down the court chasing this waded up ball of tape. When the person with the tape was touched they had to throw the ball of tape and everyone would run for it. Back and forth they went as we all shook our heads, thinking come game time they would all be spent. We were introduced to run and gun that day. Those kids ran us into the ground. It was like their hearts and lungs were twice the size of ours. Many lessons learned that day as we were introduced to Indian basketball.

Player is correct about the three players. Larry Pretty Weasel, in my view was the best. I see Larry, a good friend, every now and then.

Back