• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

brief history of the lady griz

citygriz

it was the late 80's, early 90's. the lady griz had a successful coach (robin selvig) and a player (shannon cate) who was on her way to becoming an kodak all-american. in her senior year, cate led us past wisconsin at wisconsin the the ncaa tournament, and came within a few seconds of knocking off one of the great women's programs ever, the u.s.c. trojans--on their homecourt. women's basketball was taking hold, yet the big schools had yet to devote the resources to the sport as they would over the next two decades. it appeared, however briefly, that montana had what it took to become a national power and not just a "big sky power."

but then a few things happened that diminished my interest in the lady griz. first, the injury bug hit. her senior year, cate was plauged with a dislocated shoulder, one that forced her back into the locker room at a key moment of the usc game. vicky austin, the first black player ever at montana, the key point guard on the team, had gone down with a knee injury earlier in the year, wiping out her season. those injuries seemed to set the tone for a program that has been beset by key injuries through the years.

then selvig failed to recruit black players. starting his 37th year, selvig has had a grand total of three black players in the program, one of them anthony johnson's wife, shaunte, who was there more as a favor to wayne tinkle than anything else. nowhere was this oversight more glaring than at the point guard postion. while the men have had black point guards like leroy washington, travis decuire, shane christiansen, will cherry and now mario dunn, the women have not really had a bona fide point guard since brooklyn lorenzon graduated more than a decade ago. at possibly the most important position on the court, the lady griz have come up woefully short over their history. i recall only lorenzon and skyla sisco as exceptional point guards.

i bring all this up by way of mentioning that for the first time in memory, gogriz has profiled a freshman point guard, sierra anderson, who has yet to play her first game as a lady griz. when's the last time that happened? she's supposed to be quick with a good shot, and i doubt she'd be having a profile if there wasn't a lot of excitement about her within the program. is it a harbinger of better things ahead for the lady griz? a real true point guard??

Well, it's always told by one fella (or gal). But then, any other fella (or gal) is free to write his (or her) own history, and post it in all its glory.

AllWeatherFan said:
Well, it's always told by one fella (or gal). But then, any other fella (or gal) is free to write his (or her) own history, and post it in all its glory.

Oh yes, my friendly Mr. Weatherman. citay posts it in all his glory about the Lady Griz not having many excellent point guards, forgets to mention Mandy Morales and chooses to mention Leroy Washington. :roll:

Proud Griz Man said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Oh yes, my friendly Mr. Weatherman. citay posts it in all his glory about the Lady Griz not having many excellent point guards, forgets to mention Mandy Morales and chooses to mention Leroy Washington. :roll:

proud griz man: you are right. technically, morales was a point guard. she surely had the quicks and the smarts and the basketball i.q. to be a good one. at the same time, i personally felt her best position was the two, where she could roam a bit more, and concentrate on scoring, to the exclusion of distributing. she was, after all, the fourth leading scorer in montana history, and point guards don't generally make that list--or shouldn't.

one final point. it's clear from another thread here that native american basketball is a big deal in montana, as all of us have our personal stories about knowing or watching some phenomonal native american talent. (in my case, george yelloweyes at the "c" tournament in helena.) and here i give robin selvig full credit for recognizing that talent, and successfully recruiting that talent. native americans in montana have a great basketball tradition, and selvig has done his share to glorify it.

citay said:
...then selvig failed to recruit black players.

I knew it. It happens every year around this time. "citay" just has to get on his soapbox and damn everybody else but the black people. To hell with Europe, Asia and South America, they ain't good enough, they can't play basketball like the black people can, so let's just get rid of them type innuendo layered all over, while we're all at it. You all wouldn't know anything unless good o' "citay" grants forth his approval rating, anyways. Making out like what someone else says as his own observation. Well, it's on time again, happens every year, same old spiel. Now he takes off on the point guards; citing, no less, what appeared on gogriz.com etc., etc., etc. Probably written by some freshman intern that hasn't been around but one or two years and only knows what they're told sort of deal, anyways. No sense in giving credit to where credits' due. Not good o' "citay."

That quote making it as his own?.."the women have not really had a 'bona fide' point guard since Brooklyn Lorenzen." That was when, 2004? Lynsey Monaco handling the chores for a couple years thereafter, O.K., but when Mandy Morales came in to the LG program there was also a Sonya Rogers, who was touted as one of the best point guards in the State of Montana, also recruited by Eastern Washington, as well. It was a coaches decision to have Morales as the Point Guard, at 5'9" while Rogers was the SG, at 5'7." And by the way, Torry Hill did play Point Guard at Anaconda, regardless of gogriz.com and it's freshmen interns that work for free most likely, and only help out when they have some free time, here or there. As the Missoulian.com stated 01 March 2014 about Torry..."a Point Guard through (Anaconda) high school." O.K. That's that. Plus there were other injuries along the way like in Jackie DeShazar and Colleen McNally. But don't let that get in the way, either, good o' "citay." And by the way, I seem to recall that the knee injury that V. Austin had, that precluded her senior year, was also a throwback to a prior injury that got reaggravated. At least that's what was reported afterwards.

Maybe "citay" ought to offer to lower the academic standards while he's at it; maybe that'll work. You know, instead of the NCAA mandatory 2.0 GPA, or something like that, he can petition the NCAA to have the GPA requirement down to, say, 1.5 or even 1.0; that'll be fair to all concerned, now wouldn't it? Just like Paul Hornung: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1772368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Same attitude, right? Them blacks ain't smart enough otherwise so we just gots to lower the standards, somewhat, right?

Why not? There's always seemingly a bunch of hate mongers waltzing about fighting someone else's wars for them, anyways. Go far it:.."citay." Maybe you can rant agianst the Jews as well; they can't play basketball either, right? Same attitudes played in the death of over 150 million already during the past century; I mean, if they ain't got their "Basketball Jones," they just don't deserve to be, right? [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIbp5C-5WXM[/youtube] No sense in giving credit to something that don't exist, right? And by the way, again, gogriz.com does player profiles every year; or at least since the've been online. And insofar as "exceptional Point Guards," Kelly Pilcher wasn't too bad, either.

So Wyoming...was your post actually an attempt to call out Citay as a racist/hate monger??? Your statements attempting to project him/her as fighting a fight for blacks & lowering academic standards to allow more blacks into UM is a big stretch from what I got out of his/her post. In fact, you appear to be projecting your own biases.

So do you think blacks need to be damned along with everyone else or that it's really all their fault that only 3 black women have played basketball at UM (assuming that statement is true)? But maybe I'm not correctly following you.

I don't know either of you or Robin Selvig and I seldom post on here. But if it's true that only 3 black women have played basketball for UM, that's highly unusual for a division 1 program. While I'm sure you can "blame" some blacks for that fact, there's no way that would be true if the program, coaches, etc. legitimately recruits black players. Yes there are great players from all races around the world out there but in the USA it's a clear fact that there are hundreds more quality black players available which are a lot closer, etc. Maybe Selvig really has recruited blacks over the years only to have them choose another school. While that may be true, if he really has only had 3, it's pretty clear that his style of play or preference for players & their skill sets don't lead to many blacks ending up on his teams.

This could be a culture that has become self-fulfilling as well...because of that history it could well be the case that blacks are apprehensive to play there. A black assistant coach would help a lot with recruiting since players might have someone to more easily identify with, etc.

He can fight his own fight on here but just because Citay shed light on a rather strange situation for a D1 program, in that very few blacks have played there, that doesn't make him a hate monger.

Not sure I would call Citay a racist...but he sure loves to bring up race all the time. I don't know, maybe he is trying to call someone else a racist. Also, what exactly is the percentage of blacks in Montana? Give you a hint, in 2013 it was 0.6%.

Agent G said:
So Wyoming...was your post actually an attempt to call out Citay as a racist/hate monger??? Your statements attempting to project him/her as fighting a fight for blacks & lowering academic standards to allow more blacks into UM is a big stretch from what I got out of his/her post. In fact, you appear to be projecting your own biases.

So do you think blacks need to be damned along with everyone else or that it's really all their fault that only 3 black women have played basketball at UM (assuming that statement is true)? But maybe I'm not correctly following you.

I don't know either of you or Robin Selvig and I seldom post on here. But if it's true that only 3 black women have played basketball for UM, that's highly unusual for a division 1 program. While I'm sure you can "blame" some blacks for that fact, there's no way that would be true if the program, coaches, etc. legitimately recruits black players. Yes there are great players from all races around the world out there but in the USA it's a clear fact that there are hundreds more quality black players available which are a lot closer, etc. Maybe Selvig really has recruited blacks over the years only to have them choose another school. While that may be true, if he really has only had 3, it's pretty clear that his style of play or preference for players & their skill sets don't lead to many blacks ending up on his teams.

This could be a culture that has become self-fulfilling as well...because of that history it could well be the case that blacks are apprehensive to play there. A black assistant coach would help a lot with recruiting since players might have someone to more easily identify with, etc.

He can fight his own fight on here but just because Citay shed light on a rather strange situation for a D1 program, in that very few blacks have played there, that doesn't make him a hate monger.

Yup, you pretty much nailed it. The numbers are pretty stark, however you slice and dice 'em.

You must have gotten yourselves all crucified spiritually in the streets of Egypt, in order to know what 'true prejudice' is, then.

"...in the streets of the great city, which spiritually is called...Eqypt, where also our Lord was crucified." (Revelations 11:8)

i'm a lover of all mankind, and a believer in peace, freedom and equal opportunity for all. i have retained agent g and all weather as my defense attornies. i will believe in wyoming's invisible friend in the sky as soon as somebody returns from heaven with a yelp review, or HE delivers a black point guard to the lady griz.

citay said:
it she's supposed to be quick with a good shot, and i doubt she'd be having a profile if there wasn't a lot of excitement about her within the program. is it a harbinger of better things ahead for the lady griz? a real true point guard??

Good message overall. I became temporarily distracted by the Leroy comment. :oops: I can still vividly hear Monty screaming "No Leroy, don't shoot." :eek: Leroy was a deadly marksman from inside 3.5 feet.

WyomingGrizFan said:
You must have gotten yourselves all crucified spiritually in the streets of Egypt, in order to know what 'true prejudice' is, then.

"...in the streets of the great city, which spiritually is called...Eqypt, where also our Lord was crucified." (Revelations 11:8)

Ain't never set foot on the streets of Egypt, Wyo, literally, metaphorically or spiritually. But I've been on the mean streets of Missoula.

Just curious, how would lady griz basketball compare to other Division 1 programs if we were to compare the number of Native American players?

Holy hell. This thread is strange enough it belongs on the football board.

The lack of African Americans for the Lady Griz seems odd. But I think it's a function of two things:

1. A VERY limited recruiting/travel budget for Lady Griz BB.

2. The lack of African Americans in the places Robin can recruit.

Let's be honest. Lady Griz players come from Montana, and the Pacific and Inland Northwest predominantly. Even Seattle has less than 9 percent Blacks in the population. There just aren't many to choose from, and for those that there are, many don't want to go to a school in Montana.

This is so silly. We should actually be happy that the state of Montana can provide enough players to fill out not one, but one and a half. MSU has about half their roster from Montana. Evidently it is the wrong half because we always seem to beat them. If we recruited black, asian, native american, or whatever players from wherever that would come to Missoula and were D1 material, would they be any better than what we have with the Montana girls we get?

Back