• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz picked 5th and 8th

SWeberCat02

http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2014/10/22/MBB_1022140005.aspx

Media Poll
1. Weber State (31) 424
2. Northern Arizona (4) 339
3. Eastern Washington (1) 318
4. Sacramento State 298
5. Montana 297
6. Northern Colorado 242
7. Portland State 227
8. Idaho 207
9. North Dakota 175
10. Idaho State 125
11. Montana State 104
12. Southern Utah 52

Coaches’ Poll
1. Weber State (8) 117
2. Eastern Washington (1) 100
3. Northern Arizona (2) 99
4. Sacramento State (1) 90
5. Portland State 80
6. Northern Colorado 73
7. Idaho 65
8. Montana 56
9. North Dakota 38
10. Idaho State 35
11. Montana State 24
12. Southern Utah 15

8th in the coaches poll? Wow. Griz have finished 2nd (Tied once) or 1st in the Big Sky the past 4 years with a combined conference record of 58-14. Hell, the Griz haven't finished worse than 4th since the 2003-2004 season. Very surprised they'd be picked to finish 8th this year.

I'm also a bit surprised to see EWU get so much respect putting them at #2 in the coaches poll. EWU hasn't finished above .500 in the Big Sky since the 2005-2006 season. Last year they were 10-10, the year before 7-13. I realize they were much improved and have quite a bit of talent with guys like Harvey and Jois being back but...they often seem to underachieve even with good talent.

Geez, that feels like a slap in the face. Apparently coaches and the media believe the loss of Tinkle and Kareem will be too much for this team to bear.

I think we have some significant changes to the roster, a new coach and a new scheme that will combine for some challenges this year. That being said, I don't see this team finishing in the bottom half of the conference.

Time for TDC and the Griz to prove some people wrong this season. Personally I can't wait for 2014- 2015 Griz basketball!

The Griz also lost a major contributor in Keron Deshields and Kareem jamar was one of the greatest all time Griz. I don't think a middle of the pack finish is out of the question especially in view of the mediocre (by Griz standards) year they had last year.

Regardless of losing Jamar, Deshields & Tinkle, for the coaches to pick them 8th is ridiculous!! This is a very good coaching staff & this team is working as hard if not harder than ever before. Those coaches who picked them so low are going to look pretty stupid. This team will be much stronger in the paint & will still be talented in the back court. Even with the changes this team is still MONTANA & that legacy alone won't allow this team to do less than be a legitimate challenger for the league title!!

Potomac Griz said:
8th in the coaches poll? Wow. Griz have finished 2nd (Tied once) or 1st in the Big Sky the past 4 years with a combined conference record of 58-14. Hell, the Griz haven't finished worse than 4th since the 2003-2004 season. Very surprised they'd be picked to finish 8th this year.

I'm also a bit surprised to see EWU get so much respect putting them at #2 in the coaches poll. EWU hasn't finished above .500 in the Big Sky since the 2005-2006 season. Last year they were 10-10, the year before 7-13. I realize they were much improved and have quite a bit of talent with guys like Harvey and Jois being back but...they often seem to underachieve even with good talent.

Just got home from "Eagle Madness" showcasing the EAGS basketball team tonight. Lookout BSC!

GoldenEagle said:
Potomac Griz said:

Just got home from "Eagle Madness" showcasing the EAGS basketball team tonight. Lookout BSC!

Did someone make a layup??????

EverettGriz said:
GoldenEagle said:
Potomac Griz said:

Did someone make a layup??????

:lol:

i think a couple of things have happened to big sky basketball over the past several years.

first, both montana and weber state have raised the bar for other schools in the conference. weber: lillard, bolomboy. nuff said. the griz: qvale, selvig, cherry and jamarr. big-time recruits. possibility of four nba players in those groups, one already a bona-fide nba all-star. until tinks moved on, other schools had to face the possibility tres would sign on with montana.

so, second, the rest of the pack went out and found some great young coaches. jim hayford at eastern had a nearly .800 record at whitworth over several years. jack murhpy at northern arizona came off the memphis staff, with their lights-out record for recruiting great talent. brian katz, meantime, has worked a miracle at sac state, taking a school with a dumpster for a basketball facility and turning it into a real contender for this year's title. remember that last year b.j. hill at northern colorado knocked off k state at k state, first non-conference home loss for them in 47 games. and brian fish brings an impressive resume and some outstanding recruits to the bobcats. so: the conference is getting better. eighth? that is a slap in the face. but fifth? until we prove ourselves, i don't think that's out of the question.

I think both coaches and media were being conservative, and on the safe side. The fact is, the GRIZ not only lost a lot of talent, but a great coach. Everyone feels Decuire was a great hire. I am sure many expect him to have growing pains that go hand in hand with a 1st time head coach. Tinkle and LK both had a few ups and downs learning on the fly. Travis did a great job by adding Bone to his staff, so that transition for him will be a lot easier

Something else to consider, the GRIZ are so very small. We go 1 deep in post length, that is Breunig. We better pray and hope, Breunig stays healthy all year. We are in a world of hurt inside if he goes down. Granted, I believe Kemp will put up solid numbers on the boards and post scoring. The team inside toughness has to start with him. Too bad he is not a few inches taller. I hope Weisner put on some bulk in the off season without losing any hops. Other than Gregory and Dunn, our guards are unproven.

Basically we have Gregory, Dunn, Weisner, Kemp, and Breunig as the main core. Kemp has yet to live up to vast potential. Breunig is an unknown with a huge upside. I feel he and Bolomboy will be the leagues best post players. I am sure many expect Breunig to take a month or 2 become adjusted to being a prime time player. I feel he will be ready come conference play, which is when it counts.

I honestly feel media and coaches are going with common sense thinking in the preseason polls. These are a lot of factors to overcome. Personally, I feel Weber State should be the favorite. I really like what and who EWU has coming back, they have great rebounding, inside play, with very good guards. NAU has a lot of talent which should finally come into their own this season. Sac State will be better. I feel UNC will be better this season as well.

I will be surprised if the GRIZ finish better than 4th. With all the x factors coming into the season, I honestly see them as 5th or 6th place team. However they will be peaking come tournament time. I expect a roller coaster ride through January. I feel they will be much improved the 2nd half of the conference season. I expect the GRIZ to be a game or 2 above .500 in conference play.

Anything beyond that will be one hell of a coaching job by DeCuire. One thing I really like is Travis's desire to go 10 deep. It will take awhile to get a consistent 10 man rotation on the same page. However, when the GRIZ find that consistency with that kind of depth, teams will get purely worn out come the 2nd half of games. I expect the GRIZ to be the biggest sleeper choice for the BSC tourney regardless of where it is held. Slow start, strong finish. Unfortunately, too much ground to make up to earn a post season tournament bid. About the same conference outcome as last season. After this season, look out BSC!!!!

I will be playing close attention to how crisp and united the team plays on both ends of the court the 1st month of the season. If the defense is limiting open perimeter looks, and pressing the ball well, that will be a great early season sign. Offensively, if we see 4 to 6 guys scoring consistently, limit turnovers, and get open shots, that will be a great sign. If we can get Breunig and Kemp to combine to average 25 ppg, and 13 rebounds per game, that will be huge. Also I hope to see 3 or 4 guys be vocal leaders out there. Gregory and Dunn are givens to be those leaders right now. Who else will become another leader? It would be nice that 2 of 3 out of Weisner, Kemp, and Breunig become the 3rd and 4th guys for leadership.

If these things happen early, I will be more than happy to expect the GRIZ to be a top 3 conference team this year. Realistically though, a transition like this takes a few months to round into top form. It is really hard for me to take off my maroon colored glasses when it comes to GRIZ basketball. I hope I accomplished that in this post. Believe me, every part of me wants to say "The GRIZ will compete with Weber State for the conference title." I hope the team speeds up the time table and competes at a high level out of the gates. Please boys, I beg to prove me wrong.

Accurately and realistically summarized, Citay. I frankly believe that a pre-season prediction of 4-8 for the Griz is perfectly acceptable... and good motivation for Mr. DeCuire and his coaches/players.

... and so, Awesome post, Rule! I would be ecstatic if the Griz develop as you so presciently (I hope) map things out.

grizzlyjournal said:
Accurately and realistically summarized, Citay. I frankly believe that a pre-season prediction of 4-8 for the Griz is perfectly acceptable... and good motivation for Mr. DeCuire and his coaches/players.

... and so, Awesome post, Rule! I would be ecstatic if the Griz develop as you so presciently (I hope) map things out.

I agree. Our inside game is still not going to be very strong. too many unknowns on this team to be ranked higher.

I think the fact that one poll has them 5th and the other 8th means no one is really sure what to expect from the Griz this season. A lot of unknowns with the coaching change and player turnover. I personally think they finish closer to 5th than 8th. They still have some good talent, especially at the guard line. And let's face it, the Sky is a guard dominated league. The conference should be wide open this season. Weber is the overwhelming favorite, according to the polls, but they lost a lot from last season. Might be some growing pains in Ogden. But we shall see. I'm just hoping the conference gets better overall. Last season the conference reached a new low in futility. Counting down the days until Nov 14. :thumb:

Back