• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Montana's second JC recruit is..........

Mslacat

a California Point Guard.

Ceylon Elgin-Taylor

Where did I here this from?

460996.jpg

Ceylon Elgin-Taylor, (SO) 6-foot-2 (180) from Irvine Valley College in Irvine, CA had decided to go on to Big Sky Country next season.

Elgin-Taylor also visited Northern Iowa and Loyola Marymount.
Elgin-Taylor enrolled at Irvine Valley back in 2004-2005 as a grayshirt. The first-team Orange Empire all-conference player will be playing at the University of Montana next season.

"Montana did a great job of recruiting him. He visited the school back in the fall and they really stayed on him," said head coach Jerry Hernandez.

"Ceylon is a pure point guard who can really see the floor well," said JucoJunction staff member Bret Swanson.

The San Jose, CA native averaged 13.8 ppg, 4.1 rebounds and 4.7 assists this past season for the Lasers. Elgin-Taylor for his career at Irvine Valley scored 808 points, handed out 312 assists and grabbed 234 rebounds while playing in 64 games.

Ceylon visited Northern Iowa and Loyola-Marymount (offered) before deciding on Montana. Arkansas State showed interest late.

There should be one scholarship left, unless Hurly got it (I heard on this board that Hurly was most likely a walk-on) or one of the walk-ons on this years team gets a scholarship. I had heard that the 6-3 3 point expert guard from Washington who I can not remember his name might have been offered a scholarship last fall. Then that would use the open scholarship.

let's hope elgin-taylor rhymes with elgin baylor.

by the way, i see the hopson kid from washington state transferred to idaho.

Sounds like another solid JC. I pray these JCs contribute earlier than the last few have. Sounds like these 2 take the ball to the hole. I hope that is the case, we really lacked that element this past year. They sound like they will bring versatility and quickness to the GRIZ, still not the signings that get me more excited than normal. Are the GRIZ saving any big news for later?

I think our outside shooters will really benefit by these 2 JCs. Hasquet, Rundles, Martin, and Staudacher are all very good perimeter shooters. Kyle Sharp showed last year he is capable from downtown too.

I hope to hear more recruiting news soon. It better be a significant signee. Nothing against these JC's, just hard for me to be excited about JCs with our recent history indicating how long it takes for them to contribute.

Technically you have not heard anything from the coaches on spring recruiting. My guess is that if they make an announcement this afternoon or tomorrow morning on these two JC's then the Griz are done with spring recruiting. If they continue with a news black out then I would say they are still recruiting, and will announce all the recruits when they have signed all the recruits they intend to.

BTW: I think these are outstanding recruits for the coaches. Contributing early is a function of how good a coach is. Durham was a master at getting JC's to contribute early. The down side of that was later in the year that other JC heavy teams would catch up. Any way these two guy's are above average Big Sky recruits (Granted not flashy /sexy recruits), but are the type that can allow your three stars Rundles, Strait, and Hasquet to excel. Do you really want to bring in a David Bell type. A fantastic scorer who will demand his points or very capable scores that can also get their team mates involved. These are very good recruits for the team that you will field next year.

:twocents:

Mslacat said:
Technically you have not heard anything from the coaches on spring recruiting. My guess is that if they make an announcement this afternoon or tomorrow morning on these two JC's then the Griz are done with spring recruiting. If they continue with a news black out then I would say they are still recruiting, and will announce all the recruits when they have signed all the recruits they intend to.

BTW: I think these are outstanding recruits for the coaches. Contributing early is a function of how good a coach is. Durham was a master at getting JC's to contribute early. The down side of that was later in the year that other JC heavy teams would catch up. Any way these two guy's are above average Big Sky recruits (Granted not flashy /sexy recruits), but are the type that can allow your three stars Rundles, Strait, and Hasquet to excel. Do you really want to bring in a David Bell type. A fantastic scorer who will demand his points or very capable scores that can also get their team mates involved. These are very good recruits for the team that you will field next year.

:twocents:

That is what I needed to hear. Coming from the source it did, I am more optimistic now. MSLACAT is accurate the majority of time. Thanks for this and all news. :thumb:

my understanding was, greg plater was promised a scholarship unless a...ah...a player...transferred in from oregon state. since it appears this is no longer a possiblity, are there any other snaqs to his signing?

citygriz said:
my understanding was, greg plater was promised a scholarship unless a...ah...a player...transferred in from oregon state. since it appears this is no longer a possiblity, are there any other snaqs to his signing?

I have said this before, and Oregonpreps.com has also reported it. Plater loved the U. of Montana and wants to play here. he was going to wait "a little " until committing/signing elsewhere to see what the Griz were going to do. The Griz though have been looking at least three D-1 transfers. Looks like McGillis is going back to OSU, Hobson looked at MSU and UM before transferring to ISU (Where his Dad was an all-Big Sky player), and I have not heard what Mike Taylor of EWU is up to yet.

qvale signed in november.

okay, mslacat, so you think we're waiting on taylor, eh? wasn't hopson's dad a member of that great idaho team that featured brian kellerman among others? that was undefeated and ranked fifth in the country when they came into dahlberg and we knocked them off? i repeat (ad nauseum): we should sign plater. the kid should have a good-sized chip on his shoulder after all the snubs he's received so far. this kid can play.

citygriz said:

okay, mslacat, so you think we're waiting on taylor, eh? wasn't hopson's dad a member of that great idaho team that featured brian kellerman among others? that was undefeated and ranked fifth in the country when they came into dahlberg and we knocked them off? i repeat (ad nauseum): we should sign plater. the kid should have a good-sized chip on his shoulder after all the snubs he's received so far. this kid can play.

I was going by the website mslacat quoted. Says BQ has not signed. Plater looks good!

Elgin-Taylor looks very good to me. He was rated the 10th best Calf. pg following his freshman year. The other 9 were all sophomores. I agree about signing Plater. The delay could mean whatever arrangement that was being worked on as an alternative to signing him may still be pending. I believe Staudacher is getting a scholarship. Sims, Mayes, Dlouhy, Ellis, Swift and Chase are the departing scholarship players. If 5 new schollies are now spoken for, then one remains.

citygriz said:

Not necessarily. I don't honestly know. It is a possibility they are waiting on Taylor or another D-1 transfer. I am also not 100% sure McGillis is not out of the picture. There is also a JC kid out there named Jamar Jenkins who would be a Great pick up. He has not signed yet. Are the Griz still hoping. There are also two freshman guards from Arizona that have an interest in the Griz. One is a 6-7 shooting guard (I am not kidding). I am also told by a friend from Oregon that despite what Plater may think or said he may not be that high on the Griz's wish list. A lot of questions and you just has to see how it all shakes out.

Mslacat said:
citygriz said:

Not necessarily. I don't honestly know. It is a possibility they are waiting on Taylor or another D-1 transfer. I am also not 100% sure McGillis is not out of the picture. There is also a JC kid out there named Jamar Jenkins who would be a Great pick up. He has not signed yet. Are the Griz still hoping. There are also two freshman guards from Arizona that have an interest in the Griz. One is a 6-7 shooting guard (I am not kidding). I am also told by a friend from Oregon that despite what Plater may think or said he may not be that high on the Griz's wish list. A lot of questions and you just has to see how it all shakes out.

So what about Huse? I thought Tinks and Huse were bumping heads on several recruits.

Huse and Sprinkle took a serious looked at Ceylon Elgin-Taylor.

The Griz and Cats were also both looking at these guy's at one point or another:
Nick Livi - not signed yet
Marc Hobson - Idaho
James Doran - not signed yet
Terrence Johns - Cal St Bakerfield
Dontaye Hinton - not signed yet
Walter Battle (will not be D-1 eligible)
Alex Chapman - Nebraska
Brian Freeman - not signed yet
Brian Morris - not signed yet (will not be D-1 eligible)

Back