• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

possible 2010 recruits

mtgrizrule

I posted this on Will Cherry thread, but feel it more appropriate here. Feel free to add names as you see them. I am sure MSLACAT will add names more than anyone.

I only found one recruit listed on scout, and he is from WA, not CA, but here is the link.
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=4130454

Here are a few CA recruits that fit what I was told. This from rivals.com.

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=91220
http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=91224

Here is a link to the aau team Tinkle is finding players.
http://bayareahoosiers.com/view/168/28329/2009-Rosters.html

Safe to say one of these recruits may come from this aau team.

Here is the link from rivals with names my search came up with. Their rankings do not seem very high at this stage, then again those ratings should change throughout basketball season. Tinkle is pretty good at finding these players before the bigger schools get to them.

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/result.asp

Huestis, a potential recruit maybe slipping away as time goes on. Thanks MSLACAT for the updates. I pray Huestis becomes a GRIZ.

http://mslacat.wordpress.com/2009/07/21/josh-huestis-update/#more-1142

Not one kid from Montana-wonder how long it will take before no one from Montana is good enough to play for the Grizzlies? The football team is trending this way as well-at least the ladies have it figured out.

Not one kid from Montana-wonder how long it will take before no one from Montana is good enough to play for the Grizzlies? The football team is trending this way as well-at least the ladies have it figured out.

Dateline: 7/30/2009
Montana goes back to Oakland
John Green
is a Small forward From Oakland Castlemont California. He plays for AAU: Bay Area Hoosiers Ht: 6-foot-5 Class: 2010 (High School) The past, present and glimpses into the future of an Oakland family's relationship with basketball as a means for life success is the story arc here. We're talking the Green family, with rising senior Castlemont High very interested in Montana with Sac State and Portand State making Calls.

http://rmbnews.com/members/default.asp

http://norcalpreps.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=91224

The Greening of Oakland
Kevin McCarthy

The past, present and glimpses into the future of an Oakland family’s relationship with basketball as a means for life success is the story arc here. We’re talking the Green family, with rising senior Castlemont High star John Green as the current lead actor exploring the options that will facilitate his future on and off the court.

Green continues the family lineage The initial item noteworthy about Green is the smoothness and thoughtfulness of his communication. Although still in his teens, he already displays a skill set that should have prime time media seeking out his services, sports-related or not. It’s clear he has given much thought to what he speaks of and his delivery is compelling -- this despite not turning 17 until August.

But that’s getting ahead of ourselves.

First there was 6-foot-6 Reggie Green starring at Castlemont in the early 1970s. He played for legendary basketball coach David Shigematsu, graduating with academic honors in 1973. "At Castlemont, I played with Jeff Randle," Green recalled. "He was the Sidney Wicks of his time and he went on to school and basketball at USF. I was more like Paul Silas (another Oaklander), a rebounder and shotblocker. We went 66-6 in three years and we were undefeated in our senior year."

Green earned a basketball scholarship to Seattle University, then a basketball power and a member of the West Coast Athletic Conference. He played with future NBA-ers Frank Oleynick and Rod Derline in the Emerald City before graduating with a degree in sociology.

A fascinating aspect about his tenure at Seattle is it came about because he was offered a fifth year on scholarship if he needed it to complete his degree -- as he requested. Other schools wouldn’t make that commitment. "I was sort of the Curt Flood of the NCAA," Green said.

He then earned his living playing basketball in Europe until 1984.

After overseas ball, Green returned home to Oakland, unsure what to do next. Ultimately, he entered the world of real estate, worked his way up to a broker position and the status today of a successful businessman and entrepreneur.

Maybe more importantly, he stays connected and gives back to Castlemont High as a participant in Career Days, advising students on how to achieve their particular goals.

Enter John Green.

The younger Green was honored as a first team member of the All Oakland Athletic League in 2008-2009, the only underclassman to achieve such recognition. A critical part of that honor was based on his season statistics of 14.7 points (81% from the foul line), eight rebounds and two assists and steals per game. Castlemont went 17-9 under legendary Coach Hodari McGavock, the former Oakland Tech mentor.

"I loved basketball since I was a kid," the 6-foot-5 Green said when asked why hoops and not say football or another sport. His father brought him to the gym when he was playing in an over 35 hoops league and the exposure took. "I became an Oakland Rebels [club team] player and I was watching Michael Jordan films," Green remembered. "I also still remember seeing Shaq missing a free throw but then dunking the long rebound."

As for his best basketball skills, Green offered, "My basketball IQ, plus my versatility, leadership and decision-making." He not just watches games at all levels but focuses in on the what and when players do something with the ball. Green has played inside quite often in high school due to Castlemont not having much height and he has made the most of this by mastering the footwork and moves that are needed to be effective in the paint. An 83-inch wingspan also helps. His game gains distance with the Hoosiers because others on that team can play in the middle.

What he is working on the most is "tightening up my ballhandling and becoming more consistent with my jumper."

Green scored 30 points recently in a tournament game in Cincinnati when the Hoosiers were short-handed due to injuries. His take: "I had no idea I scored that many, it didn’t feel like it."

He sensed early on that a basketball scholarship was within reach. "As a freshman in high school, I was moved up to the varsity," he said, "and in the last ten seconds of the last game of the season, playing with all seniors but me, I hit a floater that tied the game and we went on to win."

His grade point average stands at a very healthy 3.4 and he already has a sense of what major he will gravitate to come college. "Right now, I’m looking at sports medicine because I plays sports and am interested in medicine or communications because that would help me in coaching or doing sports analysis."

Regarding which college, well, the pool of suitors is beginning to get crowded of late. Green played at the Washington State elite camp in June and has an on-going relationship with head coach Ken Bone and assistant Curtis Allen from their days of wooing Green when the pair was still at Portland State.

As for his ultimate decision, it will come down to a good fit based on the playing system and coaching style, the level of academics and the campus culture.

But first their is this: "My immediate goals are for Castlemont to be the league champions next year and me to be named the most valuable player."

He already has captured being the epitome of a student-athlete.

http://www.calcentral.com/~computehandsfree/bb/NCP072009.htm

Brookfield Academy's Huff receives scholarship offer from Montana
posted by Mark Miller at 7/6/2009
By Mark Miller
Wishoops.net Editor

The potential has always been there and it now appears Brookfield Academy senior Troy Huff is beginning to mature into a highly coveted collegiate basketball prospect.

After attending a basketball camp at the University of Montana last week, the 6-foot-4 Huff received a scholarship offer from the coaching staff at the NCAA Division I school. It is the first scholarship offer for Huff, a long, athletic and skilled combination guard who is currently ranked No. 24 among state players in the Wishoops.net Player Rankings.

“Troy has played one league game for us this summer and he was the difference maker in that game,” Brookfield Academy coach Dave Von Rueden said. “He showed a maturity level that I think is the ingredient he needs to lead him on the road to success.”

Huff averaged 16.2 points per game a year ago as Brookfield Academy finished 10-12 with an extremely young team. He earned second-team all-league honors in the Southern Division of the Midwest Classic Conference and figures to be a marked man in the league in 2009-10.

In addition to Montana, Von Rueden said both Davidson and North Dakota State have called about Huff in recent weeks.

Montana finished 17-12 overall and 11-5 in the Big Sky Conference a year ago. Former Milwaukee Washington and University of Wisconsin guard Freddie Owens was recently named an assistant coach at Montana after spending last season on the staff at Iowa State.

http://test.wissports.net/sports/hoopsb/blog/message.aspx?f=123&id=1041114

troy-huff.jpg

Troy Huff looks like a real promising prospect, and someone I think could have a real impact on the Griz program. I hear he is currently 6-4 and may top out at around 6-5. He has point guard skills but can also play the small forward spot. Very versatile. He has offers also from North Dakota and North Dakota State but that should pick up this month as colleges start making a lot of contact calls.

All that said though he looks like he is eleven years old.

http://mslacat.wordpress.com/category/um-2010-recruit/troy-huff/

Just posting to let you know of another So Cal guy Montana is pursuing. Class 2010 6-6' Kevin Mulloy. Coaches saw him in Vegas and are pressing.

Here is some info on Mulloy

759548.jpg

A strong finish to last season gives the Yellow Jackets reason to be optimistic heading into 2009-2010. Another reason for optimism is Kevin Mulloy (6-foot-7 forward, 2010). Mulloy has already received one division one scholarship offer from San Jose State and could see several more based on his play this summer.

Kevin Mulloy - Oxnard - Junior - In what many believed would be a transition year for Oxnard, with a new coach for the first time in fifteen seasons, Mulloy helped the Yellowjackets continue their dominance of the Pacific View League by averaging 14.4 points per game, 9.5 rebounds per game and 2.9 blocks. Mulloy helped turn around a season that saw Oxnard lose 3 straight to start the year and 6 of their first 9 contests overall.

Mslacat said:
Here is some info on Mulloy

759548.jpg

A strong finish to last season gives the Yellow Jackets reason to be optimistic heading into 2009-2010. Another reason for optimism is Kevin Mulloy (6-foot-7 forward, 2010). Mulloy has already received one division one scholarship offer from San Jose State and could see several more based on his play this summer.

Kevin Mulloy - Oxnard - Junior - In what many believed would be a transition year for Oxnard, with a new coach for the first time in fifteen seasons, Mulloy helped the Yellowjackets continue their dominance of the Pacific View League by averaging 14.4 points per game, 9.5 rebounds per game and 2.9 blocks. Mulloy helped turn around a season that saw Oxnard lose 3 straight to start the year and 6 of their first 9 contests overall.

I have some more info on Mulloy on my site. Thanks for the heads up!

http://mslacat.wordpress.com/2009/08/07/griz-recruit-kevin-mulloy/

No problem. I found some video on Mulloy if anyone would like to see some of his play from last year and this spring according to the titles.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRCTDWby8aE&feature=channel_page[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYpKV0J5jc0&feature=channel[/youtube]

Mulloy looks like a versatile scorer. Normally I do not like any player shooting fadeaways, but his fadeaway is very good inside 15 feet, and actually pretty smooth. It is tough shot to defend, the problem is most players do it just to do it, but do not perfect it. I really like he is always ready to shoot, his hands are in position before he gets the ball, inside and outside, and does not hesitate to shoot.

With that said, I would have liked to seen his passing skills, and rebounding. If his passing skills are even 1/2 of his scoring moves, he will be very good. However, if he has not been coached to distribute, then their may a year plus learning curve. I seen a lot of blocked shots, but really did not see that projecting collegiately. Then again, that may have been the competition he was against. I really seen nothing to show consistent shotblocking way above the rim, most the blocks were at average height. (maybe someone with more knowledge of the competition can fill me in there.)

From those videos, I see offensive versatility, solid scoring, and good athleticism. I see his game to being more of a 3 than 4. How is his ballhandling? Hard to tell from the videos. He protects the ball well, but really nothing to show me how he is with more than 2 dribbles to the hoop.

I like his game though.

I can answer some of your questions. Playing the Rockfish in those videos were Club teams, PUMP/BTI, Impact, Bay Area Hoosiers, Stoneridge Prep, ICan, San Diego All-Stars, Team Chandler.

Interesting enough, although the video does not show it, it is reported that Mulloy's #1 strength is rebounding. He also has a real knack for the inbound pass to the post or in a high/low give and go scenario.

Will be intersting to follow how this one turns out.

Geaux4it said:
I can answer some of your questions. Playing the Rockfish in those videos were Club teams, PUMP/BTI, Impact, Bay Area Hoosiers, Stoneridge Prep, ICan, San Diego All-Stars, Team Chandler.

Interesting enough, although the video does not show it, it is reported that Mulloy's #1 strength is rebounding. He also has a real knack for the inbound pass to the post or in a high/low give and go scenario.

Will be intersting to follow how this one turns out.

Thank you, I guess we have no choice but to take your word for it. You seem to be a pretty informed poster. I would have liked to seen some rebounding, passing, and man defense mixed in there somewhere. Then again, the more that is out there, the more likely the bigger schools will get onto this kid.

He looks like he would be a great add for the GRIZ!

Geaux4it said:
Just posting to let you know of another So Cal guy Montana is pursuing. Class 2010 6-6' Kevin Mulloy. Coaches saw him in Vegas and are pressing.

Mulloy just committed to UC Irvine

Back