• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ryan Edwards Glacier 7 footer

I was recently informed that that Gonzaga has pulled his scholorship and he is no loger going there. I was wondering if anyone had better information on this topic than myself? If this is true i am also curious if wayne would make a move for him. I have seen him play a couple of times and his needs alot of work but you cant coach 7 foot 300lbs..and having two 7 footers in the program would be interesting!

I don't know anything about Edwards, but certainly agree that a 7' 300lb frame is a good starting point...I wonder though if Tinkle has any scholarships open.

Edwards is worth a serious consideration. Considering we really need front court depth. Even completely healthy, the GRIZ have only 2 true post players with Hutchison and Martin, returning next year. This year, anyone else playing inside has been out of necessity. Defensively, we only have these 2. Everyone else is a SF put in as a 4 or 5.

I honestly do not know where the scholarship would come from. We lose Cherry and Ward. We have Dunn, Gfeller, and Bradshaw added to the mix next season, yet only lose 2 SR's. Hard for me to think any of our core rotational players would leave after this season They all look pretty happy at Montana. If scholarships are to be found, I would think it would be from players not part of the rotation.

Even by watching the player interaction during games, I cannot see one player not buying in and interested in the team, and the game. I will let you all judge for yourself as to who might be leaving for scholarships to free up.

I do hope the GRIZ can make room for Ryan to see how it works out. A big man is certainly worth the risk. I hope in time, someone will keep us updated on the progress of Ryan's collegiate choice. I sure would like to know too.

So does the fact that things changed with Gonzaga make the original poster wrong for posting he was going to go there, or was it simply posting too soon before it all played out fully? I am thankful for any information we get through egriz from those who are consistent, and newbies. Thanks to those who do post updates and news as they hear them, even if one does turn out to be different now and then.

mtgrizrule said:
]I honestly do not know where the scholarship would come from. We lose Cherry and Ward. We have Dunn, Gfeller, and Bradshaw added to the mix next season, yet only lose 2 SR's. Hard for me to think any of our core rotational players would leave after this season They all look pretty happy at Montana. If scholarships are to be found, I would think it would be from players not part of the rotation.

I hate to say it but if the kid is interested in UM we really only have one course of action. Murder. I see no other way to free up a scholarship.

OldtiredGRiz said:
I don't know anything about Edwards, but certainly agree that a 7' 300lb frame is a good starting point...I wonder though if Tinkle has any scholarships open.

My soure comes from someone who knows him. I do not know if it accurate for sure. I was just asking for new insights. This is new information so it won't show up anywhere yet as it still shows him with the zags on the website. Once again this Is second hand info so if it is incorrect I apologize before hand, I am asking if anyone else knows about the situation.

With the success gonzaga is having this year they may be moving up to attracting McDonald's All-americans and not needing to take on a project. If the kid is 300# he'd be like mark Eaton, not the best big man in terms of point production but he could change shots and plug the lane.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

grizfnz said:
With the success gonzaga is having this year they may be moving up to attracting McDonald's All-americans and not needing to take on a project. If the kid is 300# he'd be like mark Eaton, not the best big man in terms of point production but he could change shots and plug the lane.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

So he may grow another few inches!? :eek:

I hate to say it but if the kid is interested in UM we really only have one course of action. Murder. I see no other way to free up a scholarship.

Ursa, you're rolling, baby!! :lol: :lol:

EverettGriz said:

Is there a "greyshirt" rule for NCAA basketball, like in football? If so, we have our answer how to get him.

mtgrizrule said:
EverettGriz said:

Is there a "greyshirt" rule for NCAA basketball, like in football? If so, we have our answer how to get him.

C'mon! How hard can it be to hide a 7'0 300 lb guy on the end of the bench....?!?!?!

mtgrizrule said:
EverettGriz said:

Would we have to feed him as a greyshirt? That could probably sink the entire UM Athletic budget.

EverettGriz said:
mtgrizrule said:
EverettGriz said:

C'mon! How hard can it be to hide a 7'0 300 lb guy on the end of the bench....?!?!?!

That part is true, but where does a scholarship come from for him right away? I have not seen the kid play in almost 2 years, and a lot can change in 2 years. Then, he was a very intriguing project player. He could still be that project player. Sounds to me, he might have to slim down some. 7'0" at 250 to 275 would be ideal. It would not take much time to shed 25 lbs.

I've watched the kid play some since he was in 6th or 7th grade. Certainly has size and some skills but just don't see athleticism to make him much at Div. 1 NCAA ball. His game includes some inside hooks and a decent 15 footer from FT line. Good FT shooter, decent hands and feet but not quick. Defense hard to figure. He will block shots of many MT high schoolers; but have seen him scored upon by quicker players and he's prone to fouls at times. His "best" game is the old 6th/7th grade post up (for almost three seconds!!!)and turn around for easy lay in if not doubled down or fronted. I don't see that working at the Div. 1 level, especially not Gonzaga level.

This year have watched him play vs. Hellgate twice. First game Hellgate doubled and was allowed to push him around a little and he was pretty ineffective. Second game he dominated a times without much double team and some pretty protective reffing.

I may be wrong in the analysis but even as he "dominated" the other night, I found myself and a former college player who was watching saying "UGF" (University of Great Falls) rather than "GU" (Gonzaga).

I would second Mousegriz' analysis. He is very big, and alters shots. He also has a nice touch inside, and from the FT line. He is not athletic, and honestly, doesn't appear to be in very good shape. He doesn't dominate a Montana AA game as I anticipated he would. I am not sure how he would turn out if he was put on a tough training regiment.

Who knows. The kid definitely has the frame, and like I said, a nice touch. But I just wonder if they physically can get him there. I think a coach will take a chance on him.

I hate to rain on the parade (or the fun thread, as in this case) but Edwards signed a letter of intent in the fall. That is a binding legal document that the school can not just back out of. Unless he gave them legal cause to end the contract he will be going there in the fall.

I would like to have another MT kid too, but at this point we just don't have a spot for him. We have one remaining scholorship and I am sure Tinks is going to use it on a JC big guy, if I were to guess I would think more a PF than a center.

Also, concerning Bradshaw. I am reasonably sure that he is going to have to walk-on next year and get a scholorship the following year if he works out. After he left USU he was going to come here one way or the other, so why would Tinks pay for something he can get for free?

Back