• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Rachel Staudacher no long on Lady Griz roster. Anyone know why?

Grizrunr

Noticed that Rachel no longer appears on the roster. Anyone know why? Also, anyone know who the top recruits from the state will be this year?

Grizrunr said:
Noticed that Rachel no longer appears on the roster. Anyone know why? Also, anyone know who the top recruits from the state will be this year?

I had it confirmed she is no longer a Lady Griz. I suspect she wants to concentrate on school and realizes her playing time will be limited.

I have not heard who Shannon is targeting in-State for recruiting, but it would be hard to ignore Sophia Stiles of Malta, the reigning Montana GatorAid Player of the Year. She is also a great track athlete as you would guess, given her lineage. We don't lose Malta kids, and now is not the time to start!

Thanks! Should be an interesting year. I would guess Shannon will keep her options open for both guard positions. Should make for some competitive practices.

maroonandsilver said:
I have not heard who Shannon is targeting in-State for recruiting, but it would be hard to ignore Sophia Stiles of Malta, the reigning Montana GatorAid Player of the Year. She is also a great track athlete as you would guess, given her lineage. We don't lose Malta kids, and now is not the time to start!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/sophia_stiles/status/775531853939810304[/tweet]

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

BWahlberg said:
maroonandsilver said:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/sophia_stiles/status/775531853939810304[/tweet]

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

This is a good get, and is also an important get. Shannon starts off beating MSU out of the Gatoraid POY.

Shannon brings so much to this position. Add Eric Hays to the mix. This is really something for the Lady Griz to move forward. I didn't think that anyone could do better than Coach Selvig, but sometimes these great coaches are also laying a foundation for even better things to come, and this recruit points in that direction.

Bumping this thread here.

Rachel is back on the Lady Griz roster: this is from the Griz website previewing the Holiday Classic, which starts tonight:

Forward Rachel Staudacher, who played in all 31 games last season, averaging 10.6 minutes in a reserve role off the bench, left the team late last summer. She was convinced last week by head coach Shannon Schweyen to return for her fifth year and will be a redshirt senior.

She had her first practice of the season on Tuesday morning.

Montana has been hurt at that position by season-ending injuries to Kayleigh Valley and Alycia Sims, and Henny Hearn is now also on the disabled list.

"I've just been watching our depth decrease there," said Schweyen. "We're basically one more injury away from where we can't even function properly.

"Rachel didn't leave on bad terms. She was getting done with school and just wanted to concentrate on academics, so I reached out to her and told her we needed some help. She needed to think about it, so we talked a little bit later, and she agreed to come back.

"She has to get back into the flow of things and get comfortable again. She's got to get back in basketball shape and get familiar with what we're doing, but she did some good things in her first practice."

Kudos to Shannon on this move to reach out to Rachel. Class move by a class coach for a class student-athlete. With the rash of injuries that have occurred this makes total sense.

I'm a Bobcat fan, but I really don't intend this as smack at all. I'm just sort of shocked to see the UM women sitting at 0-10/3-18. I mean they've been at or near the top of the conference for as long as I can remember, and I'm pretty old. From what I understand, they've had 2 or 3 key players who've been out all season due to injuries, so certainly that is a partial explanation, but I still wouldn't have expected them to be this bad. I'd just be curious to hear the opinions of Griz fans about this. Again, I truly don't mean this as smack at all. I've always had sort of a grudging respect for Selvig and the program that he built over there.

Basically playing the frosh team. Some good talent and showing signs of getting it, but haven't sustained it throughout entire games, so far.

knhoj said:
I'm a Bobcat fan, but I really don't intend this as smack at all. I'm just sort of shocked to see the UM women sitting at 0-10/3-18. I mean they've been at or near the top of the conference for as long as I can remember, and I'm pretty old. From what I understand, they've had 2 or 3 key players who've been out all season due to injuries, so certainly that is a partial explanation, but I still wouldn't have expected them to be this bad. I'd just be curious to hear the opinions of Griz fans about this. Again, I truly don't mean this as smack at all. I've always had sort of a grudging respect for Selvig and the program that he built over there.

Three returning seniors -- Valley, Sims & Staudacher, who decides to forego her senior year to concentrate on studies. Valley and Sims -- all conference returnees -- then go down early (pre-season and just a few games in) with season-ending ACL injuries. One returning junior (Isaak)... out most of December with a broken hand, now playing with the hand heavily taped. Staudacher then decides to return to the team in mid-December... returns to the lineup in early January, but is just now getting into game shape.

• Five of the top six players in points per game are freshmen, the sixth is a sophomore. Eight of the top nine scorers are freshmen (or RS frosh).
• The four top players in minutes logged are frosh.

They're not "bad," but sometimes they don't realize that. Most of the frosh are just now getting familiar with a multi-faceted Montana system. I spoke with an asst. coach this week who said the biggest hurdles for the players now are mental & emotional, not physical. So, the above players, the asst. coach joked, only six months ago had to get hall passes so they could go to early BB practice.

On top of it all, coach Schweyen has been dealing with an ACL injury to one of her daughters, a varsity h.s. player at Msla. Sentinel. That's taken a toll on the coaching staff.

Nonetheless, this team gets better, game by game. IF (a big if) they can win one Big Sky game (they almost had one at Eastern last week), they become a totally different team. These kids have been tested by fire. I'm pretty certain they'll be a solid team. Maybe come tourney time; more likely not until next season, when Kayleigh Valley (preseason Big Sky MVP) has indictaed she'll return for her senior year.

Back