• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gavin DeJong

My guess would be PT I think the most he's played is 5 mins this year. He stopped showing up with the team about 3 weeks ago. Hopefully not an injury and he will have luck elsewell. I think he may have seen the writing on the wall with two other bigs in the waiting

mtgrizfankb said:
My guess would be PT I think the most he's played is 5 mins this year. He stopped showing up with the team about 3 weeks ago. Hopefully not an injury and he will have luck elsewell. I think he may have seen the writing on the wall with two other bigs in the waiting

This is the difference between football and basketball at Montana. A football player leaves the team and it's on the football board 30 minutes later, full details, while a basketball player leaves and we learn of it three weeks later. And only 15 players to monitor versus, what, 90? Travis DeCuire could win the Nobel Peace Prize and we wouldn't find out about it for a month.

PeauxRouge said:
I hope he kicks ass there. I was hoping he would play more of a role with us.

I think Rocky is 0 - 2 in Frontier Conference games with both losses home games. Bradshaw doing well and think Boehning sitting the bench a fair amount.

rosco said:
From what I've been told Boehning has quit the Rocky team.

...and some on here were concerned when Decuire didn't devote a bunch of playing time "developing" him to become a contributor at UM last year.

Mousegriz said:
rosco said:
From what I've been told Boehning has quit the Rocky team.

...and some on here were concerned when Decuire didn't devote a bunch of playing time "developing" him to become a contributor at UM last year.

Keep in mind, when a team is lacking depth in a certain area, it is nice to see depth developed. I feel that is the biggest reason why some wanted to see him. That has very little to do with how talented a player is or is not. Some of the same people also questioned if he was a div 1 talent to begin with. Wayne took a flyer on a tall in state recruit with some great potential. Wayne moved on. Travis saw enough upside/potential in him to give him a chance. As it turned out, Boehning made some bad choices and was not as committed as he needed to be to live up to his potential.

As for DeJong, I am disappointed that he is not sticking it out through this season. His quitting now is selling himself, and his team short. Good to know that Travis is not just handing out playing time and making players earn the time they do get. Good luck to him though.

mtgrizrule said:
As for DeJong, I am disappointed that he is not sticking it out through this season. His quitting now is selling himself, and his team short. Good to know that Travis is not just handing out playing time and making players earn the time they do get. Good luck to him though.
I'd be careful on some of these conclusions.

UMGriz75 said:
mtgrizrule said:

Not sure if you are referencing DeJong or DeCuire. If it is referencing DeCuire, coaches at all levels are accused of handing out playing time to certain players. So if you are referencing that, I get it. It does not appear that way to me. Just a matter of opinion. Personally, I feel DeCuire is doing a marvelous job building the program, in every aspect.

I just wish the Andy Martin decision would have been done differently. Other than that, I feel he has done everything well.

mtgrizrule said:
UMGriz75 said:
mtgrizrule said:
Not sure if you are referencing DeJong or DeCuire. If it is referencing DeCuire, coaches at all levels are accused of handing out playing time to certain players. ...

I just wish the Andy Martin decision would have been done differently. Other than that, I feel he has done everything well.
I think Gavin wanted to play basketball, but I don't think he was selling anyone short. I understand he discussed this with Travis, and the Rocky thing looked like a great way to be able to get on the floor. I see Andy around from time to time, and he seems very happy without the pressure and to be completing school. I too think there was a lot of talent there, and certainly the linear footage, but one thing I've seen as a constant, you can have two people of equal talent and assets, and yet "drive" -- intensity is perhaps a better word -- will make one the standout, and the other sits on the bench. You can see it, you can feel it, you can hear it in their voices when they talk, long before they ever get on the floor.

maroonandsilver said:
GrizWhiz said:
It seems that there is one more scholarship available for next season.

Gavin's leaving does not free up a scholarship.
If you count committed schollies for next season, you total twelve. Thirteen are allowed. :thumb:

GrizWhiz said:
maroonandsilver said:
GrizWhiz said:

If you count committed schollies for next season, you total twelve. Thirteen are allowed. :thumb:

This is DeJong's 2nd year on scholarship. I believe, Travis renewed his scholarship, this season at least. So, It should free up a scholarship. I hope for another 6'8" true post player. :thumb:

mtgrizrule said:
GrizWhiz said:
maroonandsilver said:
GrizWhiz said:

This is DeJong's 2nd year on scholarship. I believe, Travis renewed his scholarship, this season at least. So, It should free up a scholarship. I hope for another 6'8" true post player. :thumb:
I believe we have thirteen on scholarship this year not counting Gavin. Four (Dunn, Wright, Lopez and Gfeller) are seniors. I think, so far, three new scholarship players arrive next year.

GrizWhiz said:
mtgrizrule said:
GrizWhiz said:
maroonandsilver said:

I believe we have thirteen on scholarship this year not counting Gavin. Four (Dunn, Wright, Lopez and Gfeller) are seniors. I think, so far, three new scholarship players arrive next year.

Dejong is no longer listed on the roster. With that said, I believe Samuelson is still a walk on/non scholarship player. I know for fact, DeJong was on scholarship, and Samuelson was a walk on last season. I did not hear otherwise going into this season. Maybe, Kyle Sample can clear this up. I do believe, this frees up a 5th scholarship for next season. With the way Samuelson is playing, it will likely be his anyway. He appears to be earning it, if he already has not. :thumb:

Back