• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Beat Weebs

EverettGriz

DONOR
Well once again this terrific conference of our has screwed the GRIZ and given every favor to their beloved sons of Weber. Two years ago they tired of seeing Weber lose the title game on our floor, so they moved the tournament to Reno. Last year Weber didn't even have to play in Missoula, and this year the bsc brass protects them by giving them an afternoon game on NYE during a period where no students will be in attendance.

Good thing I believe we're the better team.

EverettGriz said:
Well once again this terrific conference of our has screwed the GRIZ and given every favor to their beloved sons of Weber. Two years ago they tired of seeing Weber lose the title game on our floor, so they moved the tournament to Reno. Last year Weber didn't even have to play in Missoula, and this year the bsc brass protects them by giving them an afternoon game on NYE during a period where no students will be in attendance.

It's a damn conspiracy! The conference brass will do anything to keep the poor griz down!

GoldenEagle said:
EverettGriz said:

It's a damn conspiracy! The conference brass will do anything to keep the poor griz down!

It's no conspiracy. They make it extremely clear they love the webers and hate Montana. They don't make any attempt to hid what they do. It is what it is in this shitty conference.

I agree with Everett about our conference. Always have. I'd prefer we be with our traditional rivals--Nevada, Boise State, Wyoming--even Utah State, Colorado State and New Mexico from the old Skyline Conference days. We'd be on TV more often. In a conference where more than one team goes to the NCAA tournament, we'd have a better shot at the Big Dance. There'd be access to larger markets--Denver, San Diego, San Jose, Las Vegas, Albuquerque--than most of our Big Sky rivals. Road trips would be more fun. It'd be easier for all our major sports programs to draw good opponents to Missoula. It'd help us in recruiting.

But having said that, I'm not buying into the conspiracy theory. And even if I were, Weber, like NBA stars, has earned some favoritism. They've now put two recent guys into the NBA, one a superstar, Damien Lillard. They won that epic first round game against North Carolina back in 1999 which still rankles my Tar Heel buddy, and remain well ahead of any other BIg Sky school in terms of actual victories in the NCAA tournament. Two years ago they represented us admirably against Arizona in a first-round game. And their arena, the Purple Palace, is, together with Wash Griz, one of the two best venues in the entire conference. If a school that has done so much for Big Sky basketball gets a little favoritism, so...be....it.

GoldenEagle said:
EverettGriz said:

I suppose your comment is meant as snark, GoldenEagle, which is ok with me. But a serious response (from me) is to state the obvious points of Everett's post: The Big Sky as a conference is a mess in football and basketball which seems -- by most common views -- to shortchange fans at ALL schools the most. Having most critically observed the current basketball alignment, it's still my view that the BEST thing the Big Sky could have done to invigorate the conference with some sort of cohesive alignment for competition/rivalries, would have been to select Spokane as the site for the Big Sky hoops tourney. Instead, they choose a site whose closest member is Sac State (131 miles) and where the next two (WSU, SUU) are right at 550 miles distant. A tourney site at the excellent Spokane venue (which I suppose EWU could champion as an advantage) situates SEVEN of the current member schools within 400 miles. I realize that there's a kind of logic for the conference to select Reno, but I'd rather consider traveling to Spokane or Ogden (a good venue) than the hard-to-understand option we have now. I know my response brings up a lot of disparate strands, but that's the gist of Everett's issue with the Big Sky, isn't it?

EverettGriz said:
GoldenEagle said:
EverettGriz said:

It's a damn conspiracy! The conference brass will do anything to keep the poor griz down

It's no conspiracy. They make it extremely clear they love the webers and hate Montana. They don't make any attempt to hid what they do. It is what it is in this shitty conference.
Why else would the BSC headquarters be 3.4 miles from Weber's campus.
I hope we get a big win!

grizzlyjournal said:
GoldenEagle said:
EverettGriz said:

I suppose your comment is meant as snark, GoldenEagle, which is ok with me. But a serious response (from me) is to state the obvious points of Everett's post: The Big Sky as a conference is a mess in football and basketball which seems -- by most common views -- to shortchange fans at ALL schools the most. Having most critically observed the current basketball alignment, it's still my view that the BEST thing the Big Sky could have done to invigorate the conference with some sort of cohesive alignment for competition/rivalries, would have been to select Spokane as the site for the Big Sky hoops tourney. Instead, they choose a site whose closest member is Sac State (131 miles) and where the next two (WSU, SUU) are right at 550 miles distant. A tourney site at the excellent Spokane venue (which I suppose EWU could champion as an advantage) situates SEVEN of the current member schools within 400 miles. I realize that there's a kind of logic for the conference to select Reno, but I'd rather consider traveling to Spokane or Ogden (a good venue) than the hard-to-understand option we have now. I know my response brings up a lot of disparate strands, but that's the gist of Everett's issue with the Big Sky, isn't it?
I agree, bring the tournament to Spokane.

I am really looking forward to this game. I was able to wrangle up a posse of 3 to join me (Phil Jackson is not one of them..) If the griz don't get pistol-whipped on the boards, I really their chances.

:roll: Griz fans want conspiracy they should remember the last tourney hosted Missoula where the Griz got a very favorable flop call on Weber and then a no call technical the following game against NAU. Conspiracy indeed

Also Weber starts the season off with 3 road games vs our biggest 3 rivals (MSU, UM and ISU) not exactly an easy start

Aside from snarky comments it should be a good game

GO WEBER

WILDCATFAN said:
:roll: Griz fans want conspiracy they should remember the last tourney hosted Missoula where the Griz got a very favorable flop call on Weber and then a no call technical the following game against NAU. Conspiracy indeed

Also Weber starts the season off with 3 road games vs our biggest 3 rivals (MSU, UM and ISU) not exactly an easy start

GO WEBER

No snark. No conspiracy. Just reality. Everyone in the bsc knows it. Many even admit it.

And seriously, you're saying officiating benefits Montana??!?!! Perhaps you should take a look at the number of foul shots GRIZ opponents shoot vs. what Montana shoots.

GO GRIZ!

EverettGriz said:
WILDCATFAN said:

GO WEBER

No snark. No conspiracy. Just reality. Everyone in the bsc knows it. Many even admit it.

And seriously, you're saying officiating benefits Montana??!?!! Perhaps you should take a look at the number of foul shots GRIZ opponents shoot vs. what Montana shoots.

GO GRIZ!

I'm not talking about freethrows I'm talking game changing calls or lack there of that helped the Griz win. Like a horrible flop on Gregory that put Montana to the line which had they not called that obvious flop Weber would have knocked the Griz out of their own tournament in round 1. And the technical they decided not to call on Montana's bench in the 2nd round game vs NAU. That's what I'm referring to

WILDCATFAN said:
EverettGriz said:
WILDCATFAN said:

GO WEBER

GO GRIZ!

I'm not talking about freethrows I'm talking game changing calls or lack there of that helped the Griz win. Like a horrible flop on Gregory that put Montana to the line which had they not called that obvious flop Weber would have knocked the Griz out of their own tournament in round 1. And the technical they decided not to call on Montana's bench in the 2nd round game vs NAU. That's what I'm referring to

I would say if you have to go back 4 years to a 50/50 call in order to find "favor" toward the Griz, I guess you're really proving my point with absolute clarity Thank you. We agree.

EverettGriz said:
WILDCATFAN said:
EverettGriz said:
WILDCATFAN said:

GO WEBER

GO GRIZ!

I would say if you have to go back 4 years to a 50/50 call in order to find "favor" toward the Griz, I guess you're really proving my point with absolute clarity Thank you. We agree.

You are the ones talking about conspiracy. I gave an example of conspiracy and you continue to try to make it sound like I'm saying Montana always gets the calls. I'm not.

You are complaining about how the big sky always dogs on Montana. All I did was give an example of how that's not always true. :thumb:

And oh by the way. GO WEBER :thumb:

Not once in this thread did i mention calls. Nor a conspiracy. Perhaps address rhe points I DID make and then we can have a discussuon.

EverettGriz said:
Not once in this thread did i mention calls. Nor a conspiracy. Perhaps address rhe points I DID make and then we can have a discussuon.

Well technically I didn't say you in particular. I said "you guys"

And again I never said you said anything about calls. My original post was a snide remark to the controversy posts from a few on here. You are the one who then claimed I was the one who was saying Montana always got the calls. Which I didn't so who's putting words in someone else's mouth now?

Back