• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM at Spuds (Thurs)

Paytonlives

Staff member
Looks like a winnable game but it's on the road and in the dome... so Griz will have to play well.

PeauxRouge said:
Were/are the spuds missing some players?

The Vandals have been without senior guard Perrion Callandret since early December for some sort of leg injury. There's been no info on when he'll return. That's forced Victor Sanders to carry the load at guard, though freshman Travon Allen has played well. The Vandals are a completely different team when Callandret plays.

I watched the Eastern @ Idaho game and the Vandals played badly for 3/4 of the game, then caught fire & just fell short in the final two minutes. They will zone the Griz (which got them a win here last year) with a tight, collapsing zone. Eastern took advantage of it from the perimeter. A lot of wide open looks. And, former Griz Jacob Wiley killed the Vandals... had five blocks and scored 22 points. He'll be a load on Saturday. I think Montana's best chance for a win this weekend is in Moscow.

grizzlyjournal said:
PeauxRouge said:
Were/are the spuds missing some players?

The Vandals have been without senior guard Perrion Callandret since early December for some sort of leg injury. There's been no info on when he'll return. That's forced Victor Sanders to carry the load at guard, though freshman Travon Allen has played well. The Vandals are a completely different team when Callandret plays.

I watched the Eastern @ Idaho game and the Vandals played badly for 3/4 of the game, then caught fire & just fell short in the final two minutes. They will zone the Griz (which got them a win here last year) with a tight, collapsing zone. Eastern took advantage of it from the perimeter. A lot of wide open looks. And, former Griz Jacob Wiley killed the Vandals... had five blocks and scored 22 points. He'll be a load on Saturday. I think Montana's best chance for a win this weekend is in Moscow.

Idaho head coach Don Verlin told me Callandret is out indefinitely as of December 19. Sources say Callandret will forego the rest of his senior season to heal up from the bone bruise in his knee in an effort to prepare for a potential pro career in France.

Callendret hasn't been a key to winning for Idaho. He started two games, played 21 minutes and scored 6.7 points per game for a13-17 Idaho team as a sophomore. He played in half of Idaho's Big Sky games last season, yet the Vandals went 12-6 and earned the No. 3 seed. Idaho won 7 of 8 down the stretch, six with Callandret in the lineup and he scored 25 points against Montana in the Big Sky semifinals. But his shooting splits were not good. He shot 39.2 percent overall, including just 34.1 percent in conference play last season. He shot 34.5 percent from 3, including just 26.5 percent in conference play. In two games this season, he made 5-of-21 total shots and scored 16 total points. I've talked to three different coaches off the record who think Idaho is a tougher matchup without him than with him because they move the ball better.

Griz still hot from the trey line. How long can they keep it up?

FWIW: MSU losing by 11 to EWU with about 3 min left in the game.

Pretty good half for the Griz. 37.7 field goal %, 43.8 3 PT%, 50 free throw%. There were times during the first half I couldn`t help thinking idaho better be in great shape. The Griz offense ran the spuds defense ragged on quite a few possessions. GO GRIZ!!!!

LivingstonNative said:
Rorie has 11 points
We are 44% from three-point land
And we are being out rebounded 15 to 23
Offset by the Griz picking up 7 more turnovers (2-9) ... and that hot 3-point shooting.

...develop a diverse offense...
...live by the three ball...
...die by the three ball...

... :clap: ...

Back