• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Best News I've heard all year

flatheadedgriz

Kyle Sample tweeted (not sure how to embed) Dahlberg is getting some big upgrades this year. New locker room and lounge, new court (possible dedication to Selvig) and most exciting a much-needed upgrade to the scoreboard (courtesy of Learfield).

NorthEndZoneDan said:
was there any way to get a new scoreboard without having to involve those fu**ers from Learfield?
Only if you buy it instead. Otherwise seems the U is in bed with them for the near future.

Whomever this Kyle Sample guy is...is starting the year out with a bang! Great news. Helps recruiting as well, since we all know that the kids like bling.

kyle_sample said:
NorthEndZoneDan said:
was there any way to get a new scoreboard without having to involve those fu**ers from Learfield?

Why is it a bad thing that they're involved?

for giving the boot to Mick

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71956&p=1097648&hilit=Holien#p1097648

NorthEndZoneDan said:
kyle_sample said:
NorthEndZoneDan said:

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71956&p=1097648&hilit=Holien#p1097648

So all the other good things they've done for the athletic department don't outweigh giving Mick 1 of the 2 years he was going to get from the athletic department? Mick's time with the university was coming to a close and everybody, including him, knew it.

kyle_sample said:
NorthEndZoneDan said:
kyle_sample said:
NorthEndZoneDan said:

So all the other good things they've done for the athletic department don't outweigh giving Mick 1 of the 2 years he was going to get from the athletic department? Mick's time with the university was coming to a close and everybody, including him, knew it.

yes Mick's career was coming to a close and everyone knew it. He deserved to go out at the time of his choosing, he earned nothing less. as for the other good things they've done, I dont think for a minute they are doing these things for the love of the U of M or the goodness of their hearts. They do these things for profit, I'm not saying thats a bad thing but its something to keep in mind. Point being, Mick deserved better.

Back on topic, the $15 million renovation in 1998 was really something. Compared to the former facility, the new Auxiliary Gyms, the reconfiguration of the arena, the skycourt, the stadium seating, an actual real floor instead of the temporary floor hauled in and out every week. I remember walking through it at completion with Gary Hughes, then the FH manager and assistant Athletic Director facilities, and just marveling at how first class everything was. Never thought I'd see anything like it at UM.

I think its aged pretty well, actually. Like anything, it never hurts to keep moving forward. Basketball's attendance problems aren't with the facility, per se, but in the fact that it's the same "experience" that it was 40 years ago, minus the "Cubs."

For starters, sell beer.

Mick was an institution, part of the institution, and part of the history of the modern Grizzlies.

The new guy is "OK." Not exactly John Facenda, but I do get a kick out the fact that he can read the short promo ads during the game as "all one word."

UMGriz75 said:
I think its aged pretty well, actually. Like anything, it never hurts to keep moving forward. Basketball's attendance problems aren't with the facility, per se, but in the fact that it's the same "experience" that it was 40 years ago, minus the "Cubs."

For starters, sell beer.

Beer could lead to DUI's. [emoji601]

grizfnz said:
UMGriz75 said:

For starters, sell beer.

Beer could lead to DUI's. [emoji601]

Sell beer at BB and FB games...and have a driver.

It would be cool if they specialized/personalized the floor to something Montanan, like Oregon has the watermark forest of trees. My cousins' family (Baseman Floors out of Wisconsin) has done numerous NBA floors, if anyone has contacts within the athletic department.

DoubleNicks said:
It would be cool if they specialized/personalized the floor to something Montanan, like Oregon has the watermark forest of trees. My cousins' family (Baseman Floors out of Wisconsin) has done numerous NBA floors, if anyone has contacts within the athletic department.

Did your cousin do the famous Robert Indiana floor for the Milwaukee Bucks, "The Floor That Made Milwaukee Famous?" Great 30-30 story on ESPN about it, how when the Bucks moved to a new arena, a cab driver bought the entire floor by maxing out his credit cards, and it's now stored in a warehouse somewhere. Should be worth a lot of money...someday.

DoubleNicks said:
FWIW, I find Oregon's floor highly irritating. I do, however, really like the giant inlaid bear on Cal's floor.

UMGriz75 said:
Back on topic, the $15 million renovation in 1998 was really something. Compared to the former facility, the new Auxiliary Gyms, the reconfiguration of the arena, the skycourt, the stadium seating, an actual real floor instead of the temporary floor hauled in and out every week. I remember walking through it at completion with Gary Hughes, then the FH manager and assistant Athletic Director facilities, and just marveling at how first class everything was. Never thought I'd see anything like it at UM.

For starters, sell beer.

They do sell beer except the minions can't buy it, takes money to be able to get it.

Back