• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Year of the Big Hurt

citygriz

I dunno, watching that game last night, my favorite parts were the time outs. That's when I got to see Akoh, Anderson and Dorsey looming over the huddle, the three bigs without whom we are, in my opinion, half a team this year. I'm not saying Anderson, a true freshman at 6'6" would have made a big difference, but you can't tell me that with so many close games this year he would not have improved our record. Combine this with the devastating injuries that have hit the Lady Griz, and for me this whole year has been more like spring training, when you're preparing for the real games--which for both programs start next year.

I mean, isn't it curious that the Memphis Grizzlies did not play last night, and won't for the rest of the All-Star weekend? C'mon! That was Zach Randolph out there last night, not Justin Strings, absolutely abusing us in the paint. We were powerless to stop him. I can't imagine the humiliation that would ensue if we were to win the tournament and play a number one seed. Please, no! Let Weber represent the conference this year, or even Sac State.

As to last night, one more note: This is first time maybe his entire tenure here that I have to fault Travis DeCuire. Yes, yes, yes--that guy clearly palmed the ball, and it should have been an obvious call. But you can make the case that Travis's reaction cost us two points--and the game. Other than golf, I don't know if there is a sport that will test your emotional maturity like basketball, especially when the calls are going against you. But--you MUST. It's fine to have emotions, but you have to have maturity about those emotions. The call was wrong. But Travis's reaction cost us the game. You simply can't let that happen as a coach.

citay said:
I dunno, watching that game last night, my favorite parts were the time outs. That's when I got to see Akoh, Anderson and Dorsey looming over the huddle, the three bigs without whom we are, in my opinion, half a team this year. I'm not saying Anderson, a true freshman at 6'6" would have made a big difference, but you can't tell me that with so many close games this year he would not have improved our record. Combine this with the devastating injuries that have hit the Lady Griz, and for me this whole year has been more like spring training, when you're preparing for the real games--which for both programs start next year.

I mean, isn't it curious that the Memphis Grizzlies did not play last night, and won't for the rest of the All-Star weekend? C'mon! That was Zach Randolph out there last night, not Justin Strings, absolutely abusing us in the paint. We were powerless to stop him. I can't imagine the humiliation that would ensue if we were to win the tournament and play a number one seed. Please, no! Let Weber represent the conference this year, or even Sac State.

As to last night, one more note: This is first time maybe his entire tenure here that I have to fault Travis DeCuire. Yes, yes, yes--that guy clearly palmed the ball, and it should have been an obvious call. But you can make the case that Travis's reaction cost us two points--and the game. Other than golf, I don't know if there is a sport that will test your emotional maturity like basketball, especially when the calls are going against you. But--you MUST. It's fine to have emotions, but you have to have maturity about those emotions. The call was wrong. But Travis's reaction cost us the game. You simply can't let that happen as a coach.

They were up by 7 when the technical happened. That didn't cost Montana the game. Sacramento State's defensive approach in the second half and not hitting free throws cost Montana the game.

Good points citay. The athleticism and basketball IQ is there for our guard and forward play. When Montana becomes a "complete" team I hope to see the Griz to be able to play with teams that have the bigs.

citay said:

"Zach Randolph" (6'7" Strings) played the #3 position and probably wouldn't have been covered by Akoh, Anderson or Dorsey. He was covered by Dunn (?), Rorie (?), Gfeller and Lopez...and a couple times Wright(??!!). There was a sequence of about 3 or 4 consecutive trips where his lay ins looked like taking candy from a baby. Not much weak side help either. THE GUY SCORED ALMOST 1/2 THEIR POINTS! Finally put Moorehead back in and on him....then Oguine. That helped but it was almost too late.

Our small guards are a bigger issue than many seem to think. It will be an issue next year too. And for all the "talent" many think the Griz have, we're 8 - 6 in league and under .500 for the season. Kinda seems many other teams have "talent". I'd like Strings, Bliznyuk, Hall, Crandall, Frey to be on the Griz!

Oh....and the Sac State guy double dribbled pretty obviously just before Strings made his final basket to give them the one point lead that became insurmountable for our 85% FT shooter.

Because of our lack of size, and given the difficulty of this year's schedule, I think this team has been playing uphill all year. These kids hustle; they don't give up. But I sense the effort they're putting out is not matching the results. Rorie especially looks tired to me. DeCuire seems ready to blow at any moment, as he did on that bad call last night. It's simply the case: When you're undersized, you're playing at a huge disadvantage. Even the Warriors, with their famously small "death" lineup, can only use it for short stretches every game, because it's too exhausting to sustain. Our kids have been sustaining it all season.
Puh-leese! Let the cavalry get here!

Mousegriz said:
citay said:

"Zach Randolph" (6'7" Strings) played the #3 position and probably wouldn't have been covered by Akoh, Anderson or Dorsey. He was covered by Dunn (?), Rorie (?), Gfeller and Lopez...and a couple times Wright(??!!). There was a sequence of about 3 or 4 consecutive trips where his lay ins looked like taking candy from a baby. Not much weak side help either. THE GUY SCORED ALMOST 1/2 THEIR POINTS! Finally put Moorehead back in and on him....then Oguine. That helped but it was almost too late.

Our small guards are a bigger issue than many seem to think. It will be an issue next year too. And for all the "talent" many think the Griz have, we're 8 - 6 in league and under .500 for the season. Kinda seems many other teams have "talent". I'd like Strings, Bliznyuk, Hall, Crandall, Frey to be on the Griz!

Oh....and the Sac State guy double dribbled pretty obviously just before Strings made his final basket to give them the one point lead that became insurmountable for our 85% FT shooter.

It probably won't be an issue next season. Montana will have at least seven reliable players at 6-6 or taller.

Mousegriz said:
citay said:

Dorsey is a three. I can, without question, see Akoh, Anderson and Dorsey on the floor at the same time next season with Dorsey defending a three.

Good thread. I believe Montana's struggles (besides poor fg shooting percentages, which I believe are nonetheless the most damning flaw of this team) illustrate the barriers all incoming coaches face in building their own programs. It takes 4-5 years for a coach to build his own program. DeCuire had success with his program in years 1 & 2 because he had one of the best (in many aspects) power forwards in the west in Martin Breunig.

What I do know is that Alphonso Anderson's knee issue was an unexpected setback for this year's team. But even that would have been putting a lot of pressure on a freshman to come in and anchor this team at the 3-4.

Next season we'll see the first pretty complete version of TD's team (Kryslovic the lone player from WT's tenure) and -- at this point at least -- appears to have good balance 1-5.

Still... I believe this team has the talent to put a streak together. It would not surprise me one bit to see a late season surge similar to the one the 2010 Griz crafted.

I was frustrated last night by the lack of defense. If you look at points in the paint Sac had a tremendous advantage. To preface my comments I am not a coach. I don't know why we didn't try a zone for a couple of times down the floor. We weren't stopping them inside so why not try it?

One thing that has bugged me all year is the lack of defense played by Rorie. As much talent as he possesses why can't he defend? He is the weakest link of the guards on the floor in that regard by far. He continually picks up the opposing guard at least halfway between the 3 point line and half court, gets left is the dust as the guard goes past him and he ends up running or reaching to defend while his man is passing off for an assist or scoring. It is time IMO for Travis to jerk his chain and get him to focus on defense. He is certainly athletic enough to be a good defender if not a great defender.

I have waited anxiously for him to play this year and was expecting that he would be a snap to be named as an all-conference player this year. I don't think he will be any more than honorable mention at this stage of the season at best. That would be way below my previous expectation for the ability and athletic talent that he possesses. To say I am disappointed is an understatement.

Griz1 said:
I was frustrated last night by the lack of defense. If you look at points in the paint Sac had a tremendous advantage. To preface my comments I am not a coach. I don't know why we didn't try a zone for a couple of times down the floor. We weren't stopping them inside so why not try it?

One thing that has bugged me all year is the lack of defense played by Rorie. As much talent as he possesses why can't he defend? He is the weakest link of the guards on the floor in that regard by far. He continually picks up the opposing guard at least halfway between the 3 point line and half court, gets left is the dust as the guard goes past him and he ends up running or reaching to defend while his man is passing off for an assist or scoring. It is time IMO for Travis to jerk his chain and get him to focus on defense. He is certainly athletic enough to be a good defender if not a great defender.

I have waited anxiously for him to play this year and was expecting that he would be a snap to be named as an all-conference player this year. I don't think he will be any more than honorable mention at this stage of the season at best. That would be way below my previous expectation for the ability and athletic talent that he possesses. To say I am disappointed is an understatement.

I agree with you on one point: I don't know why we are picking up so far out, and I don't know why our bigs are coming out to the top of the key and beyond to double. I've seen Krslovic pick up several stupid fouls trying to stop smaller players out where he shouldn't be in the first place, in my opinion.

Too, it seems to me at times we are over-passing, giving up good looks early in a possession, for worse shots later on. Too many players seem hesitant to shoot. I'd like to see us let 'er rip more on offense, especially against the bigger teams. Speed up the pace. Make them run with us.

As for Rorie, I saw him pretty much shut down USC's heralded point guard in the first game of the year, and his defense kept us within hailing distance at Oregon. I do agree we are picking up way too high, but that 's DeCuire's call, not Rorie's, I'm sure. I've noticed the same tendency on the Warriors, to defend areas of the court that I don't feel need to be defended, but then that's the pros, where guys can hit those shots. College? No way. Let 'em have those 30-footers.

In conclusion, I'm not down on Rorie at all. I simply think he and the entire team are worn down from playing uphill all year against a tough schedule. Hell, I'm worn down just watching.

Hedging (and recovering) the high pick is a very common defensive tactic against the pick and roll. All teams do it. PG getting pick from his big guy can't be switched to the other team's big guy because the big defender usually isn't nearly quick enough. So a guy like Fab hedges the pick to get the PG going away from the basket then races to recover back to his own guy as the guard recovers the PG. Fab is very good at it but it does lead to some fouls....but he also leads team in steals, I believe, many taken as he hedges which is impressive.

Back