• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM at msu (Saturday 2/25)

You made me think of cats in general. Then I thought of our cat at home. She is not tough. She is a complete pussy. I do not accept your assertion. FTC.

After watching the Grizzlies of recent... the last 10 minutes of a 40 minute game in particular, I hope the Players and Coaching Staff emphasize some mental and physical toughness in closing out ballgames from here forward....as it's obviously been their demise lately.

With the over-all head to head series FINALLY tied....Griz need to take care of business and set themselves up for a decent Conf. Tournament Seed...

The one thing I've noticed in our past few home games is in the final few minutes the griz quit playing defense. Especially in the cat game and last night. I think they back off a bit because guys get into foul trouble and I think their worried they'll foul out. We should be fine next week as long as we play defense for 40 minutes.

Kabooom said:
After watching the Grizzlies of recent... the last 10 minutes of a 40 minute game in particular, I hope the Players and Coaching Staff emphasize some mental and physical toughness in closing out ballgames from here forward....as it's obviously been their demise lately.

With the over-all head to head series FINALLY tied....Griz need to take care of business and set themselves up for a decent Conf. Tournament Seed...
The inability to hold a lead seems worse lately, but they also had the same problem earlier. Not sure how to explain it, but I have a "theory." With no consistent inside game (no bigs, basically), the Griz have to play their small-ball with great defense game all out, all the way. When they do, they can win handily. But that "all-in" approach is both physically and mentally draining. It's not so much that the Griz fall off toward the end, it's that they have no "extra gear" when the opponent steps it up at crunch time. Add in foul trouble for key players ... well, we see the result.

As for improving the seed for the Griz ... sadly, it's mostly too late for that. Barring a total collapse by UND, WSU and EWU, the Griz can only hope to -- at best -- finish in 4th place. What they do have to do is to play well enough in their closing road trip to at least not lose ground. I'm thinking they have a chance to go 2-1 ... which should at least be enough to hold their place.

Runs and comebacks like this are so common in BB that these so called "collapses" are more the rule than the exception. It just gets greatly magnified when i't's your team.

Three tough games remaining, hopefully the griz go 2-1 although no guesses with this team.
I for one can not wait to see next years edition of Grizzly basketball.

Mavman said:
Three tough games remaining, hopefully the griz go 2-1 although no guesses with this team.
I for one can not wait to see next years edition of Grizzly basketball.

Seems like we are starting to say the same thing about all UM teams right now.

Bobcats, Griz clash in rivalry game filled with intrigue
http://skylinesportsmt.com/bobcats-griz-clash-in-rivalry-game-filled-with-intrigue/

IdaGriz01 said:
Kabooom said:

The inability to hold a lead seems worse lately, but they also had the same problem earlier. Not sure how to explain it, but I have a "theory." With no consistent inside game (no bigs, basically), the Griz have to play their small-ball with great defense game all out, all the way. When they do, they can win handily. But that "all-in" approach is both physically and mentally draining. It's not so much that the Griz fall off toward the end, it's that they have no "extra gear" when the opponent steps it up at crunch time. Add in foul trouble for key players ... well, we see the result.

As for improving the seed for the Griz ... sadly, it's mostly too late for that. Barring a total collapse by UND, WSU and EWU, the Griz can only hope to -- at best -- finish in 4th place. What they do have to do is to play well enough in their closing road trip to at least not lose ground. I'm thinking they have a chance to go 2-1 ... which should at least be enough to hold their place.

It's partly defense and lack of an inside game, but it's also the inability or inconsistency to make clutch free throws at the end. The Griz were able to do hit enough of them against MSU and Portland State to win, but not against Weber, Idaho and Sac State. As Travis himself stated after Sac State, "4 free throws and 15 seconds" and those three games would have been wins and we'd be tied with North Dakota right now for first.

br fan said:
IdaGriz01 said:
It's partly defense and lack of an inside game, but it's also the inability or inconsistency to make clutch free throws at the end. The Griz were able to do hit enough of them against MSU and Portland State to win, but not against Weber, Idaho and Sac State. As Travis himself stated after Sac State, "4 free throws and 15 seconds" and those three games would have been wins and we'd be tied with North Dakota right now for first.
You make a very good point. But I would, at least in part, blame it on being drained physically and mentally as I suggested in my earlier post. I recall from personal experience (way back, admittedly) how hard it was to concentrate for free throws late in a game, and how tired legs could screw up your shooting stroke (regular basket attempts as well at foul tries).

Back