• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What happened to Oregon St?

alabamagrizzly

So I havnt been paying attention this year and just checked in on Wayne Tinkle and Oregon State. WTH happened?! 1-15 in con and 5-25 overall? Losses to Savannah St, Lamar, and Portland? Is there a good explanation for this?

alabamagrizzly said:
So I havnt been paying attention this year and just checked in on Wayne Tinkle and Oregon State. WTH happened?! 1-15 in con and 5-25 overall? Losses to Savannah St, Lamar, and Portland? Is there a good explanation for this?

Injuries. (See Lady Griz). Tres broke his wrist and missed most of the season.

maroonandsilver said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Injuries. (See Lady Griz). Tres broke his wrist and missed most of the season.

Was Tinkle the only major injury or have there been more? Losing Valley AND Sims was devastating to the ladies. Are they both gonna try and play next year? If so, this years young squad has gone through some valuable growing pains and may be real dominant next year.

Tinkle can coach, we know that, but can he recruit against some of the best basketball schools this side of the Atlantic Coast Conference--UCLA, Arizona, Oregon, Washington? So far his major recruits have been his son, Tres, and Stephen Thompson Jr., son of assistant coach Stephen Thompson. Their best player last year, Gary Payton Jr., was the son of maybe the best player ever at Oregon State, his Dad, Gary Payton. Corvallis is not the most exciting place to play, and Oregon is not the recruiting hotbed that Southern California, the Bay Area and the Seattle area are. So the question for me is, how long can you last on legacy players like Payton, or sons of coaches like Tres and Stephen Thompson? The Kendal Manuel story, he of Skyview High in Billings, is a good one, but is he to the talent level of the other major schools in the conference? I don't think DeCuire thought so, though I do not have the inside skinny.

But there are several good things in Tinks's favor. Tres should get a medical redshirt year, leaving him three remaining years of eligibility, and he is good, good, good, better than I ever thought he would be at the collegiate level. The rest of the team is young; Thompson is only a sophomore. And don't forget that a lot of the Pac12 talent goes one-and-done, as Lonzo Ball at UCLA surely will, meaning Tinks should have an experienced team facing off against a lot of true freshmen in the rest of the conference.

For me, a fascinating story. At the very least, Tinks got the money he so richly deserved, as will Tres. Hopefully they will all eventually retire to Montana in style, a state I know they love.

citay said:
Tinkle can coach, we know that, but can he recruit against some of the best basketball schools this side of the Atlantic Coast Conference--UCLA, Arizona, Oregon, Washington? So far his major recruits have been his son, Tres, and Stephen Thompson Jr., son of assistant coach Stephen Thompson. Their best player last year, Gary Payton Jr., was the son of maybe the best player ever at Oregon State, his Dad, Gary Payton. Corvallis is not the most exciting place to play, and Oregon is not the recruiting hotbed that Southern California, the Bay Area and the Seattle area are. So the question for me is, how long can you last on legacy players like Payton, or sons of coaches like Tres and Stephen Thompson? The Kendal Manuel story, he of Skyview High in Billings, is a good one, but is he to the talent level of the other major schools in the conference? I don't think DeCuire thought so, though I do not have the inside skinny.

But there are several good things in Tinks's favor. Tres should get a medical redshirt year, leaving him three remaining years of eligibility, and he is good, good, good, better than I ever thought he would be at the collegiate level. The rest of the team is young; Thompson is only a sophomore. And don't forget that a lot of the Pac12 talent goes one-and-done, as Lonzo Ball at UCLA surely will, meaning Tinks should have an experienced team facing off against a lot of true freshmen in the rest of the conference.

For me, a fascinating story. At the very least, Tinks got the money he so richly deserved, as will Tres. Hopefully they will all eventually retire to Montana in style, a state I know they love.

Admittedly, I have not been following the team closely but it seems the amount I have heard has been positive toward Manuel and that he has, at least at times, been very effctive and the playing the best on the team. Possibly this is because it is a somewhat depleted team or possibly he is just really good and will continue to develop. I am originally from Billings and would really like a Billings kid to be successful. Anyone else who has watched a fair amount of OSU basketball have an informed opinion on Manuel? I agree Tres has been great and better than I expected too. Hopefully, WT can get this team winning. Winning should significantly improve recruiting.

Mavman said:
They are getting an amazing player in Ethan Thompson. Stephens lil brother.

And the top player in Oregon this year, SG Zach Reichle whom the Griz also offered.

I love Wayne, but he is in serious trouble. The OSU fan base is not happy that the precariousness of the talent on their roster has led to a situation where losing a single player (granted an exceptional player) has led to their team looking like they are D2 not PAC12. A lot of whispers about recruiting. He is going to have to prove he can recruit outside of nepotism otherwise he is doomed.

I think they have a solid young nucleus Thompson and Eubanks played real well all things considered, McLaughlin had his moments as a frosh. The JUCO kids they brought in were a major disappointment, one leaving the team mid season. I felt like Wayne struggled recruiting the jc ranks while at um as well, outside of aj obviously.

Getting Tres back, adding the younger Thompson who will certainly be an instant impact player coupled with the development of the previously mentioned guys gets them back to competing for a middle of the pac 12 spot in my opinion. But they need significantly more help to be truly competitive in that conference.

Friday night I watched Ethan's team play Bol Bol's team on Tv, Young Mr. Thompson took it right at the 7'2 Bol and made a nasty dunk to spark a huge run and win the game.
Bol Bol was very impressive himself for his size much more athletic then his father.

Mavman said:
Friday night I watched Ethan's team play Bol Bol's team on Tv, Young Mr. Thompson took it right at the 7'2 Bol and made a nasty dunk to spark a huge run and win the game.
Bol Bol was very impressive himself for his size much more athletic then his father.
Saw that. Pretty impressive run his team went on, beating 2 of the top 5 teams in the nation to win their section championship. Now they have to run pretty much the same gauntlet again in the state tournament, this time getting juggernaut Chino Hills before a possible rematch with Mater Dei or Sierra Canyon. 4 of the 8 teams in the southern half of the open division are ranked in the top 10 in the nation, crazy. Bottom line-Ethan will show up ready to play for Tinkle & dad on day 1 in Corvallis, he is the real deal.

Can someone explain how california state basketball tournaments work?
Chino hills got beat friday by mater dei then MD lost saturday. Gold standard will the top four from that section go to state?? The game saturday was for the cif open division? Is that correct?

Since my earlier post, ya'all have brought me more up to date with their recruiting, and that is very encouraging. I'd say the issue now is, does Tres get a medical redshirt. If so, they have a great foundation.

Tinks has got a lot of rope I think. During the Oregon-Oregon State game last Saturday, the announcers were praising him greatly, saying how this year is simply an aberration, nothing else.

Mavman said:
Chino hills got beat friday by mater dei then MD lost saturday. Gold standard will the top four from that section go to state?? The game saturday was for the cif open division? Is that correct?

I will try to straighten this out....what has just been completed are the "Section" Division championships...even if your team loses in the Section Tournament they can be seeded into the State Tournament... the top 16 in all Divisions ( I, II, III, IV, V) are selected from the the South and the North and they have individual tournaments to determine who will represent the North and South in the State Finals...the "Open Division" is not contested at the section level in all sections because some sections have no teams worthy of playing in the Open Division so the North has selected 8 teams to participate in the Open Division and the South has also selected a slate of teams for their Open Division (I don't know how many they selected)....in the end you have a representative of each division from the north and the south who play each other in the "State Tournament Finals"....it is kind of complicated but I've been around it for the last 20 years so I kinda know how it operates...last year, there was a team in Division III who lost in their Section Tournament but then was selected to participate in the NorCal tournament which they won and then won the State Finals in Division III as well, even though they didn't win their section title...that part is always a bit hard to understand....I hope this clarifies some of it but I'm not too good at explaining things (my wife tells me that every day)...one more thing is, I don't think there is any limit on how many teams from a single division can be selected for the north or south tournament....

Mavman said:
Unsure if this is the format every year, but this year the southern half of the state open division has the 2 open division finalists from both the San Diego & LA city sections, & the 4 semi-finalists from the Southern section open division (the 4 top 10 nationally ranked teams). Ethan's game on Saturday was for the Southern section championship, which was basically just for bragging rights & seeding purposes, the real tournament starts later this week. The 4 Southern section teams received the top 4 seeds, as well they should (Chino is probably the only team with a real shot at losing-albeit small). You'll find many of the other teams that were in their section's open division tournaments are playing in lower divisions at state.

sacstateman said:
Mavman said:

I will try to straighten this out....what has just been completed are the "Section" Division championships...even if your team loses in the Section Tournament they can be seeded into the State Tournament... the top 16 in all Divisions ( I, II, III, IV, V) are selected from the the South and the North and they have individual tournaments to determine who will represent the North and South in the State Finals...the "Open Division" is not contested at the section level in all sections because some sections have no teams worthy of playing in the Open Division so the North has selected 8 teams to participate in the Open Division and the South has also selected a slate of teams for their Open Division (I don't know how many they selected)....in the end you have a representative of each division from the north and the south who play each other in the "State Tournament Finals"....it is kind of complicated but I've been around it for the last 20 years so I kinda know how it operates...last year, there was a team in Division III who lost in their Section Tournament but then was selected to participate in the NorCal tournament which they won and then won the State Finals in Division III as well, even though they didn't win their section title...that part is always a bit hard to understand....I hope this clarifies some of it but I'm not too good at explaining things (my wife tells me that every day)...one more thing is, I don't think there is any limit on how many teams from a single division can be selected for the north or south tournament....

So what does this mean for Dublin, and our recruit, Tim Falls? Do they still have a chance?

GoldStandardGriz said:
Timmy's Dublin team is the #1 seed in the Nor Cal half of division 1 (just below open). They play Lowell Wednesday night. Go Gaels!

Exactly right...my son teaches at Dublin High and he was at the game Saturday night...DeLaSalle, who beat Dublin Satuday is going to play in the open division for the NorCals.....

GoldStandardGriz said:
Timmy's Dublin team is the #1 seed in the Nor Cal half of division 1 (just below open). They play Lowell Wednesday night. Go Gaels!

Exactly right...my son teaches at Dublin High and he was at the game Saturday night...DeLaSalle, who beat Dublin Satuday is going to play in the open division for the NorCals.....

Back