• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Maybe a move for 2019 BSC Tourney

cmtgrizzly

http://www.standard.net/Basketball/2017/03/07/Big-Sky-Conference-consider-new-basketball-tournament-venue-for-2019-reno

Not sure if the link will work but it appears the BSC is at least open to change in 2019. :thumb:

I wasn't a fan of the neutral tournament site, but now that we are committed, I would rather see the conference stick with Reno rather than bounce around every three years. Despite what other people say, I think Reno is actually a pretty good place for the BSC tournament. They'll never be able to grow the BSC tournament if they don't commit to a location.

I honestly think that the best location for the tournament is Boise, in the Taco Bell arena. Ya got two Idaho schools that are very close to Boise, the griz are within good distance as well as the cats, Eastern, Weber, and even Portland State. I would like to see Billings get the tournament, but if not, I think Boise would be a good location.

Griz til I die said:
I honestly think that the best location for the tournament is Boise, in the Taco Bell arena. Ya got two Idaho schools that are very close to Boise, the griz are within good distance as well as the cats, Eastern, Weber, and even Portland State. I would like to see Billings get the tournament, but if not, I think Boise would be a good location.

Except for the fact that Boise had no interest in the tournament, you may be on to something...or not.

And I don't see Billings as a much better option than Reno.

Griz til I die said:

Never thought of that. Excellent thought. I'd bet they'd be interested as well

If the NAIA women's national tournament does as well as most think it will, Billings will have a great shot at the Big Sky tourney next time around. I think one of the main reasons Billings went after the NAIA tourney was to show the Big Sky what they're missing.

If I recall, Fresno hosted the WAC a few years ago that was well attended. Yes, Fresno State is there, but the stadium is good and it is easy to get to. Fresno is an area full of boosters who would probably back the BSC tourney, and it is close to major population centers, SAC State, Weber, the Idaho schools..plus, it is warm there in March. But, if attendance is the issue, then half the schools in the conference might have issues. Fresno might be a good locale.

HelenaHandBasket said:
I can't fathom how Fresno is any better option than Reno.

Almost agree. But, the stadium in Fresno would look better and I suspect the population is a lot more inclined to view this as a bigger deal than Reno. It is a nice drive up from LA, the Coast, SF, Sacto. I think there is a lot of community spirit in Fresno that would support it as it is one of the few places in California that is not booming, plus 65 degrees or more. But, I like Reno as a destination. Prefer it over Las Vegas, actually.

One of my complaints about last year's Big Sky tourney in Reno was the total absence of coverage by the Reno newspaper, the Reno Gazette-Journal.

Well, it's improved somewhat this year: One story in today's newspaper, covering men and women't first round games, totaling 6 paragraphs (8 sentences), with one photo.

You betcha:

http://www.rgj.com/story/sports/2017/03/07/big-sky-portland-state-idaho-state-advance/98886150/

Here's hoping that the paper will give a bit more ink to the Big Sky tomorrow.

I'm pretty involved in the discussions with the Billings Chamber and other organizations that were involved with the first go around. They really want the Big Sky tournament to be in billings. They feel like they just missed out the first time. Have been in communication with the Big Sky officials ever since and have been working on ways to get it back. As George mentioned, the are doing the NAIA tournament as a trial run. Hoping to prove themselves. They have been advertising like crazy. I honestly don't know how the turnout will be but it won't be for lack of effort. I'm guessing Reno doesn't do a whole lot of advertising for the Big Sky tourney.

GrizLA said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Almost agree. But, the stadium in Fresno would look better and I suspect the population is a lot more inclined to view this as a bigger deal than Reno. It is a nice drive up from LA, the Coast, SF, Sacto. I think there is a lot of community spirit in Fresno that would support it as it is one of the few places in California that is not booming, plus 65 degrees or more. But, I like Reno as a destination. Prefer it over Las Vegas, actually.
I would love to have the tournament in Fresno! Bulldog fans would welcome the tournament.

maxresdefault.jpg

A chain reaction of tournament switches is going on now for Las Vegas. The new T-MOBILE Arena for the new NHL Las Vegas team will host the PAC12 tournament. All the conferences will look at upgrading, with one arena now left empty in 2019. The Big Sky will grab whatever is left. That wasn't possible when Reno was picked, as the Big Sky didn't have a Vegas option unless they moved the tournament up a week.

Las Vegas will get another conference tournament.

Ursa Major said:
GrizLA said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I would love to have the tournament in Fresno! Bulldog fans would welcome the tournament.

maxresdefault.jpg
They have cleaned up Fresno quite a bit from what I hear. But, meth is there almost as heavy as it is in Montana. The whole country seems to be adrift and loaded with hate and violence. That is why I watch basketball and not news. Sick of violence and drugs and boozers...

GrizLA said:
Ursa Major said:
GrizLA said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

maxresdefault.jpg
They have cleaned up Fresno quite a bit from what I hear. But, meth is there almost as heavy as it is in Montana. The whole country seems to be adrift and loaded with hate and violence. That is why I watch basketball and not news. Sick of violence and drugs and boozers...

Ouch. I hear meth is kind of a problem in Montana so can't imagine how bad it must be out there.

Sounds like Reno did squat to promote the tournament. Too bad because while It's no Vegas, the allure of being able to gamble in between games would convince me to fly out there.

GrizLA said:
Ursa Major said:
GrizLA said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Sounds like poverty is the base problem but that leads to all kinds of bad stuff. The bigger problem might be the ghost of Coach Sweeney driving around in his golf cart singing the UM fight song.

In my honest opinion and it is going to be VERY unpopular on this site. But the ideal place to host the tournament is Salt Lake City. It's a city that is literally dead center in the geography of the conference, is by average the closest City to every Big Sky school and is cheap and easy to get to.

A list of potential host cities

City - Total amount of miles from each School - average travel for each school

Salt Lake City UT - 5,182 - 471
Boise ID - 5,330 - 484
Spokane WA - 6,369 - 579
Billings MT - 6,879 - 625
Reno NV - 7,575 - 688
Denver CO - 8,673 - 788
Phoenix AZ - 9,864 - 896

"But Wildcatfan SLC would favor Weber too much, it's not Neutral enough."

Just like Spokane would favor EWU and Idaho, Boise would favor both Idaho's, Billings would favor the Montana's, Reno already favors Sac but their fans don't care enough to go, Denver would favor UNC and Phoenix would favor NAU. It doesn't really matter where the tournament is moved in the Big Sky since any location would most likely favor someone. So why not favor the biggest and most dedicated basketball fan base?

In my opinion SLC would be the best spot for the tournament, however if not SLC I would be ok with Boise ID........if they were interested. Wherever it gets moved it should at least get moved to a state that actually has a Big Sky presence.

Latest posts

Back