• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Next Year

citygriz

There is almost unbounded optimism here for next year, but I would remind you: The wise man is the humble man. And I think it would be unwise to project us as a 13th seed next year, let alone winning the conference. Because:
--Weber will be loaded. Sure, they lose our nemesis, Jeremy Senglin, but their true freshman, Jerrick Harding, was the Kansas high school player of the year last year, and looked like it in Reno. Their bigs, Braxton and Jordan Dallas return, and they add 6'8" Brekkott Chapman, rated one of the top players in the country three years ago when Kyrsko recruited him for Utah. And while we bring in the 39th rated high school player in Texas (by one poll), Kris Nicholas, Weber brings in the 28th rated player, a point guard named Doc Nelson. Add in a couple of tall European recruits, and one guy returning from a Mission, and Weber will be deep and talented next year.
--the Bobs. They finally found their coach in Brian Fish. He can recruit and he can coach. Two consecutive Big Sky Freshman of the Year awards, and while there is speculation here that Hall might transfer out, I'm not buying it. Plus they bring in Isaac Bonton, a kid from Parkrose Oregon who in one game had this triple-double: 45 points, 11 assists and ten rebounds--Westbrook-esque. Devin Kirby, a young big out of Arizona who struggled this past year as a freshman, will certainly improve, and they add 6'10" Luke Schultz, the 100th rated player in the state of Texas. I welcome this development, because I'm glad to see a return of the intense rivalry between the two schools, but they're gonna be a tough team come tournament time next year.
--North Dakota: Leaving the Big Sky starting Fall of 2018, meaning we have one more year to deal with the defending champions. And while they lose Booker, they'll be returning a lot of key pieces from this year's team.
I love where our program is, and where it's heading. But--just sayin'. Ain't no gimme.

citay said:
There is almost unbounded optimism here for next year, but I would remind you: The wise man is the humble man. And I think it would be unwise to project us as a 13th seed next year, let alone winning the conference. Because:
--Weber will be loaded. Sure, they lose our nemesis, Jeremy Senglin, but their true freshman, Jerrick Harding, was the Kansas high school player of the year last year, and looked like it in Reno. Their bigs, Braxton and Jordan Dallas return, and they add 6'8" Brekkott Chapman, rated one of the top players in the country three years ago when Kyrsko recruited him for Utah. And while we bring in the 39th rated high school player in Texas (by one poll), Kris Nicholas, Weber brings in the 28th rated player, a point guard named Doc Nelson. Add in a couple of tall European recruits, and one guy returning from a Mission, and Weber will be deep and talented next year.
--the Bobs. They finally found their coach in Brian Fish. He can recruit and he can coach. Two consecutive Big Sky Freshman of the Year awards, and while there is speculation here that Hall might transfer out, I'm not buying it. Plus they bring in Isaac Bonton, a kid from Parkrose Oregon who in one game had this triple-double: 45 points, 11 assists and ten rebounds--Westbrook-esque. Devin Kirby, a young big out of Arizona who struggled this past year as a freshman, will certainly improve, and they add 6'10" Luke Schultz, the 100th rated player in the state of Texas. I welcome this development, because I'm glad to see a return of the intense rivalry between the two schools, but they're gonna be a tough team come tournament time next year.
--North Dakota: Leaving the Big Sky starting Fall of 2018, meaning we have one more year to deal with the defending champions. And while they lose Booker, they'll be returning a lot of key pieces from this year's team.
I love where our program is, and where it's heading. But--just sayin'. Ain't no gimme.

Don't disagree but from what I saw this year, UM is just a two players short of a full house. I think they will be more consistent next year but DC is going to have a very hard task pleasing his house of guards. they don't go to Montana to warm the bench. As for Weber, I thought Braxton was not the power player he was labeled. In fact, I't take Kriskovic over him, if only he could stay out of foul trouble. Funny thing with him, his best two games were when his wrist was heavily wrapped. Dallas did not impress, either. I am almost certain that UM would have beaten UND in the final had they made it, alas. MSU has potential to win it all. But a couple of their guys simply hand no discipline in tough contact. But lots can happen between now and then....who'd ever thought that Sac State would roll the Griz in Missoula? And, SUU and North Colo. are improving all the time. Of course, the Weber guys and SUU do have a distinct age advantage..Those two years spent on "missions" are something UM can't match. basically a 2 YEAR RED SHIRT.

GrizLA said:
citay said:

Don't disagree but from what I saw this year, UM is just a two players short of a full house. I think they will be more consistent next year but DC is going to have a very hard task pleasing his house of guards. they don't go to Montana to warm the bench. As for Weber, I thought Braxton was not the power player he was labeled. In fact, I't take Kriskovic over him, if only he could stay out of foul trouble. Funny thing with him, his best two games were when his wrist was heavily wrapped. Dallas did not impress, either. I am almost certain that UM would have beaten UND in the final had they made it, alas. MSU has potential to win it all. But a couple of their guys simply hand no discipline in tough contact. But lots can happen between now and then....who'd ever thought that Sac State would roll the Griz in Missoula? And, SUU and North Colo. are improving all the time. Of course, the Weber guys and SUU do have a distinct age advantage..Those two years spent on "missions" are something UM can't match. basically a 2 YEAR RED SHIRT.

You'd be surprised how many Weber State basketball players actually go on missions. We aren't BYU.

Latest posts

Back