• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Who's mumuring move-up? Relax, it ain't the Griz.

Silvertip

Mark Few has not backed away from the subject that could maybe see Gonzaga consider moving from the WCC to a higher profile conference affiliation. And why not? They already play a large number of power conference teams and with great success. They're already a regular staple on ESPN and they've got both the ability and status to go for bigger money.

Silvertip said:
Mark Few has not backed away from the subject that could maybe see Gonzaga consider moving from the WCC to a higher profile conference affiliation. And why not? They already play a large number of power conference teams and with great success. They're already a regular staple on ESPN and they've got both the ability and status to go for bigger money.

Thing that hurts a move to something bigger is the lack of a football team. Football is money.

On the upside, you can produce an excellent basketball program for a fraction the cost of fielding most any level football program.

Silvertip said:
On the upside, you can produce an excellent basketball program for a fraction the cost of fielding most any level football program.
And it's not just the cost of the team and coaches, travel for all those guys, and so on. All those male scholarships means you have to pony up that many more female scholarships (Title IX) for teams in several sports that generally bring in zero dollars. Those sports usually get by with a minimal coaching and support staff, but it all adds up in a hurry.

At least female BBall can be popular enough to be a draw and bring in some ticket money.

All that got me to thinking about schools that have quality, competitive basketball programs ... and I was surprised at how many there are (in no particular order): St. Bonaventure, La Salle, George Mason, Creighton, DePaul, Marquette, Xavier, Seton Hall, Drexel, Iona, Bradley, and some more. Except for the Big East teams, these are all in non-power conferences. (And if I'm not mistaken, most of the power conferences require members to field teams in both sports.)

The MWC could use a BB only member. Probably not what they have in mind but there is a more limited number of western conferences and anything too far away becomes cost prohibitive from a travel perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well there is always the WAC with CSUB & NMSU. lol

Seriously though where could they go, and what conference would take them. The two potentially best fits would be the Big East or the A-10, but that would put a footprint far to the west for them. Not sure either conference, and the membership would be willing to.

MVC has Wichita State in it, and Illinois State had a good year. UNI was down a bit this year - but that may be the closest footprint for them. And would that league be any better than the WCC? The American is a bit spread out already, and has schools in Texas. Would the Big 12 take a basketball only member? And of course the MWC.

IMO, if the Big 12 would take them - that's the league I would shoot for, otherwise the Big East is the next best option.

Every other team in the Pac-12 complains about going to Pullman, so they are not eager to add an extra away-game trip to Spokane.

Proud Griz Man said:
Every other team in the Pac-12 complains about going to Pullman, so they are not eager to add an extra away-game trip to Spokane.

Personally I'd complain about going to USC or UCLA. Time wise, the drive to Pullman is probably shorter than the traffic nightmare that is LA.

Proud Griz Man said:

There's no equating traveling to or from Spokane and Pullman. Spokane has a sizable airport with direct flights to a large number of cities. Pullman? That's another story...driving 75 miles through the middle of nowhere on a two lane country road. (Ditto for Moscow)

Silvertip said:
Proud Griz Man said:

There's no equating traveling to or from Spokane and Pullman. Spokane has a sizable airport with direct flights to a large number of cities. Pullman? That's another story...driving 75 miles through the middle of nowhere on a two lane country road. (Ditto for Moscow)

Awesome drive, awesome town. Drove down there a lot when I lived in Liberty Lake. Try the North Oklahoma, or Kansas areas- then you'll see how joyful the drive to Pullman is! And I'd do that drive 100/100 times before I drive around LA....and yes I've driven around there a lot also. Heck, I should be a truck driver - I've driven pretty everywhere.....maybe more places than most truck drivers actually.

Back