• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Montana SB wins Grizzly Classic

grizzlyjournal

Know this is a hoops board but thought a plug for the Montana Griz softball team would be appropriate. I think they were picked to finish 3rd in the Big Sky, but I think they'll mount a challenge.

I watched the Grizzly Classic this weekend & had a blast. This is a skilled, competitive, but above all... gritty team that never backs down. Some developing pitching talent, but outstanding infield defense... and a powerful team offensively. They're very well coached.

Montana won the round robin tourney (hosting Seattle U and Maine) and finished with a 5-1 record. Two wins were walk-offs against a good Seattle squad. Two wins were blowouts (shortened games).

The final game of the tourney was a gem. Griz down 6-2 late, but tied it on an inside the park homer, then walked off in extra innings, 8-8. Their games are on Eversport, if you're inclined to watch.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/UMGRIZZLIES_SB/status/843565036115173378[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/UMGRIZZLIES_SB/status/843572904491081728[/tweet]

Over the years, I've often watched the NCAA women's softball tournament, as covered on ESPN, and not only marveled at the abilities of these women, but also wondered why the University of Montana couldn't be represented. Now that we are, I would suggest that eGriz start a separate forum for women's softball.

If they don't, let's happily adopt them as members of the Basketball forum, as we do the Lady Griz. One thing I know: It's always great to be where the women are!

citay said:
Over the years, I've often watched the NCAA women's softball tournament, as covered on ESPN, and not only marveled at the abilities of these women, but also wondered why the University of Montana couldn't be represented. Now that we are, I would suggest that eGriz start a separate forum for women's softball.

If they don't, let's happily adopt them as members of the Basketball forum, as we do the Lady Griz. One thing I know: It's always great to be where the women are!

:thumb: Excellent suggestion, citay. Certainly there's room to include the softball team on the basketball threads. But it makes sense to me to have a separate thread for softball, soccer and volleyball. All three sports have an excellent fan base, particularly when compared to other schools. This weekend the posted numbers of paying fans for the softball tourney (quite a few folks watched from beyond the right field fence) was: Friday -- 293; Saturday -- 382; and Sunday -- 304 (affected somewhat by rainy weather).

grizzlyjournal said:
citay said:

:thumb: Excellent suggestion, citay. Certainly there's room to include the softball team on the basketball threads. But it makes sense to me to have a separate thread for softball, soccer and volleyball. All three sports have an excellent fan base, particularly when compared to other schools. This weekend the posted numbers of paying fans for the softball tourney (quite a few folks watched from beyond the right field fence) was: Friday -- 293; Saturday -- 382; and Sunday -- 304 (affected somewhat by rainy weather).

GRIZ softball is better attended than the Conference Basketball Tournament in Reno. :lol:

The grit, cohesion and class of our SB Ladies is great. Their team and staff is a great example of how to compete. They are great ambassadors for UM!

Go Griz

first11 said:
The grit, cohesion and class of our SB Ladies is great. Their team and staff is a great example of how to compete. They are great ambassadors for UM!

Go Griz

Oh yeah they are! The entire team lines up in a two-row kind-of gauntlet at the field exit after every game. Every player thanks the fans for coming and supporting the team.

I was pretty affected by the greetings on Saturday, because center fielder MaKenna McGill was there as well, hobbled and on crutches, eyes and cheeks tear-stained from the pain. She had collided with the left-center field fence making a catch, injured her knee, and had to be helped off the field (no news yet on her condition). True ambassadors for Montana.

FYI-I write a weekend preview and review pretty much every week in the old other sports forum. I talked with Chris about softball getting its own thread but it didnt sound like it was gonna happen. I also write pretty extensive season previews and reviews over there. Next year I'm gonna preview the whole conference.

Back