• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Jamie Pinkerton piece in Missoulian

Silvertip

Assuming as some have suggested that this is the defacto UM softball forum...nice piece about Jamie and the women softballers. Catch their conference opener on BigSky Saturday against North Dakota.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/grizzlies-aiming-higher-with-big-sky-debut-set-for-saturday/article_67de4aa4-a671-5d75-aef5-c64aa1f79ea5.html

grizzlyjournal said:
http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/grizzlies-aiming-higher-with-big-sky-debut-set-for-saturday/article_67de4aa4-a671-5d75-aef5-c64aa1f79ea5.html

Thanks!

Chris, see wat I mean? Softball needs its own thread. I'm writing previews and reviews for myself over in the other sports forum cus no one goes over there. Please!!!!!!

Montana spit the opening double header of conference play with North Dakota, winning the first game 6-2, before dropping the second game 5-3. Can't really say the stadium was near capacity, but the bleachers were packed and there were quite a few fans watching in lounge chairs from beyond the outfield fences.The two teams will play the final game of the series Sunday.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CoachPinkerton/status/845822578216206336[/tweet]

The slam of the day was this homer by right fielder Sydney Stites (from Bozeman). Note the fans in the video clip.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/UMGRIZZLIES_SB/status/845759494369918976[/tweet]

A dominant 2-0 shut out W for Montana softball over NDak today. Masterful pitching by frosh ace Michaela Hood, who had 12 Ks today. The game wasn't remotely as close as the score indicated. Congrats to this young, but impressive Montana softball squad.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/UMGRIZZLIES_SB/status/846092091344138242[/tweet]

Although they had a rare fielding error today, this is a sound defensive team.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/UMGRIZZLIES_SB/status/846094902148526080[/tweet]

grizzlyjournal said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/UMGRIZZLIES_SB/status/846129890160066560[/tweet]

No question Michaela Hood is in the process of saving this season right now. She's on a pace to win Montana's third consecutive Fr of the year and she's in a three horse race for Big Sky pitcher of the year. We knew she'd be good coming out of high school where she went 17-0 in 20 appearances as a Sr with a 0.50 era. In my season preview I predicted that she might contend with Stephenson and Stensby as the best pitcher on the team. Of course I didn't expect Stephenson to struggle so bad. Stensby was a question mark coming off an off season surgery and I think she's beggining to regain her form. Colleen Driscoll has been a very pleasant surprise though also, picking up the slack where the others have struggled.

Tuff loss in game one. Hood throws a no hitter through five and gives up the only two runs of the game that were unearned due to an error by Stites in right. Grizzlies only muster two hits but have runners on third in two different innings only to come up empty handed against a team with a 5+ era. Win game two with three pitchers and a Stites homer. Game three is tomorrow at 1pm.

AZGrizFan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
No question Michaela Hood is in the process of saving this season right now.
Saving the season? This team is one game out of first...

Sorry it took so long to reply. And yes AZ, up to this point, she has saved the season and helped keep the Griz in a position to be in first place now. Here's some numbers to help prove my point.
1)Games started, up to the point I made that statement, Michaela had made 11 starts going 6-2 with 3 no decisions. 2 of 3 of the no decisions, the Griz had the lead when Hood left and the lead was later given up. She has 7 complete games (all 6 of her victories) and 2 shutouts. That's good for a winning percentage of 55% in games started and 75% in started games where she received the decision. The other four pitchers have a combined 5-12 record in games they started and received the decision.
2)Hood has made 6 relief appearances. In 4 of her 6 appearances, she has earned a win or a save going 2-0 with 2 saves. In the other 2 games, the Griz were already losing when she entered. Minus the Cal game (her worst outing of the year), she has pitched 9.2 innings in relief, all of which the opposition was held scoreless
3)UM is 5-11 when Hood doesn't pitch at all in the game.
4)Michaela Hood's era-2.21
Team era-3.50
Stensby/Stephenson/Young era-5.14
Griz runs per game-4.4
Team BA-.270
Opp BA-.276
Hood's allowed BA-.230

As you can see, Michaela Hood is our dominant pitcher and we would not be in any position to win the conference if it wasn't for her. Our offense isn't carrying us this year like they did last year. Lexi Brennies is gone, Sydney Stites BA is way down although she's still hitting homers, MaKenna McGill is out plus her BA was way down from last year. Even Madison Saacke and Ashlyn Lyons BA's are down. Michaela has certainly stepped in and saved this season.

AG. Just saw this discussion about softball. That error that was given to Stites against SUU was a tough call. She perhaps could have caught it if there better timing on the jump but hard to see an error on the play. Speaking of timing, there were so many balls hit hard that went foul or right at infielders. So I would blame this loss on the hitting which seemed to rather tight.

If people think the Griz sotball team is good now, and they are, wait until the new class hits Missoula.

---------> CMR won the AA state title last season, and this season adds (Griz signee) reigning softball Gatorade Player of the Year Tristin Achenbach (dominant pitcher and hitter), a transfer to it's team.

(Also joining Achenback to the Griz next season from CMR will be Savanna Voyles, good hitter and infielder)

IntuitiveGriz said:
If people think the Griz sotball team is good now, and they are, wait until the new class hits Missoula.

---------> CMR won the AA state title last season, and this season adds (Griz signee) reigning softball Gatorade Player of the Year Tristin Achenbach (dominant pitcher and hitter), a transfer to it's team.

(Also joining Achenback to the Griz next season from CMR will be Savanna Voyles, good hitter and infielder)
Yes Achenbach is nearly unhittable and Voyles is probably the SS of the future for the Griz(or 3B depending on Stites). The other two commits are just as good. Alexis Knauss is a high average, mid power, great speed middle infielder from Meridian Id that should take over 2nd when Gabby graduates. Jessica McAlister is something special also. The catcher of the future for the Griz is currently the the cleanup hitter for the #13 nationally ranked La Cueva Bears from Albuquerque. I know next years team will be loaded with Sr's but I'm real excited for the following year when we get to see all our recruiting pieces fall into place. Since day one, we've been playing with mostly the same team. Lyons, Martinez, Olea, Colburn, and McGill(now injured for the year) have all been 3 year starters and Olea is the only one of the bunch to graduate this year. 2019 will be a fun interesting year.

I was going to mention Jessica, but didn't want to be a homer (me being from Butte):

McAlister isn't from Montana, but she has deep ties to the state. Her grandparents were born and raised in Butte, which is where her aunt and uncle now live. Her grandfather lives near Georgetown Lake, and her family owns a cabin outside of Philipsburg.

"I have always been drawn to the fun lifestyle Missoula offers. It's where I wanted to go to school, and it worked out that Coach Pinkerton offered me a scholarship," said McAlister, whose oldest brother played baseball at Arizona State. Her other brother plays baseball at Washington State.

"I get the opportunity to play the sport that I love in the state that I love and for the university that I now love."

McAlister, who batted .488 last spring with a .979 fielding percentage, was voted a first-team all-district catcher for La Cueva High as a freshman, sophomore and junior. The Bears were district champions all three years.

McAlister was a part of Albuquerque's Eastdale team that won the 2012 Little League Softball World Series in Portland, Ore.

"Jessica had several Division I offers at schools in her area, but she wanted to play here," said Pinkerton, who has a pair of junior catchers in Madison Saacke and Dani Walker, plus the freshman Johnson.

"She is versatile. She's going to help us at catcher, and she can play third base, which will help us transition with the graduation of Olea."

IntuitiveGriz said:
I was going to mention Jessica, but didn't want to be a homer (me being from Butte):

McAlister isn't from Montana, but she has deep ties to the state. Her grandparents were born and raised in Butte, which is where her aunt and uncle now live. Her grandfather lives near Georgetown Lake, and her family owns a cabin outside of Philipsburg.

"I have always been drawn to the fun lifestyle Missoula offers. It's where I wanted to go to school, and it worked out that Coach Pinkerton offered me a scholarship," said McAlister, whose oldest brother played baseball at Arizona State. Her other brother plays baseball at Washington State.

"I get the opportunity to play the sport that I love in the state that I love and for the university that I now love."

McAlister, who batted .488 last spring with a .979 fielding percentage, was voted a first-team all-district catcher for La Cueva High as a freshman, sophomore and junior. The Bears were district champions all three years.

McAlister was a part of Albuquerque's Eastdale team that won the 2012 Little League Softball World Series in Portland, Ore.

"Jessica had several Division I offers at schools in her area, but she wanted to play here," said Pinkerton, who has a pair of junior catchers in Madison Saacke and Dani Walker, plus the freshman Johnson.

"She is versatile. She's going to help us at catcher, and she can play third base, which will help us transition with the graduation of Olea."
Deja Vu. This all seems very familiar like I've read it someplace else.

alabamagrizzly said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

Deja Vu. This all seems very familiar like I've read it someplace else.

Of course you did, gogriz.com, right?

Back