• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Advice for Michael Oguine

citygriz

Hi Michael:

The past few years, thanks to the Warriors and the exciting style of pell-mell basketball that they play, I have come back to watching the NBA, a passion I'd foresworn for years with the demise of the "show-time" Lakers. And I have come to the following conclusions about NBA players, with you in mind.
--They are incredibly athletic. I've often felt more NBA players could succeed at other sports than non-basketball athletes could in the NBA. By this standard of athleticism, I believe you are an NBA talent.
--They play defense. If you watch re-runs of old NBA games, you are surprised at how weak the defense is. But that was before George Karl and Ron Adams and so many other coaches showed up with their defensive schemes, such that today, you cannot play in the NBA if you can't play defense. Of course, defense is one of your strengths, so by this standard too you are an NBA talent.
--Shooting. Oh, wow, can NBA players shoot. Curry and Thompson may be other-worldly in this respect, but up and down the roster of every team are guys who can shoot the ball. One of Montana's own, Will Cherry, had the athleticism and the defensive prowess to play in the NBA, but not the shot. He improved greatly at Montana from when I saw him as a senior in high school, but shooting was never his thing, and it doomed his NBA career. And by this standard, you are not yet an NBA talent. I think it's the only thing holding you back.

So here's my advice. Find the best shooting coach you can. Work with him (or her!) Then get thee to a gym. Make it a goal to shoot a million shots during the off-season. And every time you shoot one of those shots, think to yourself, "I just made $5." Because if in two years you become a dead-eye shooter, that will be chump change for you.

Best of luck!
Citay

Are you sure you mean George Karl and his defense?
And a lot of players in the NBA don't play defense, i.e. James Harden and Russell Westbrook, the two leading candidates for MVP

Want to see shooters and defense you don't need to look at the NBA. South Carolina, both men and women, are showing America how it is done without "one and dones"....I hope they can make the final four. From high schools to colleges, SC is the hottest place for good basketball now..

GrizLA said:
Want to see shooters and defense you don't need to look at the NBA. South Carolina, both men and women, are showing America how it is done without "one and dones"....I hope they can make the final four. From high schools to colleges, SC is the hottest place for good basketball now..

They are playing well. :mrgreen:

kyle_sample said:
PeauxRouge said:
A lot of them do play D. Like Kawhi. Another candidate for MVP.

Not refuting that, just this "you cannot play in the NBA if you can't play defense"

Hi Michael:

P.S. If you can average 28.9 points, 11.3 assists and 8 rebounds per game (James Harden) or average a triple double for an ENTIRE season (Russell Westbrook), then no, you don't have to play defense. There are exceptions to every rule!

But if...as a likely free agent....coming out of Montana....you can't put up those numbers...I'd suggest you become a reliable shooter. And play defense.

Citay

Fat Bruno said:
ordigger said:
Dear Mike:

Avoid the Warriors style of play. It has ruined the game.

Charles B.

I like small town, high school ball ... the atmosphere is fun.

:thumb:

I do think money in general is ruining sports as we know them compared to 30 years ago. I don't see the we in team as much anymore, its more about the me...and how much can I make. The NBA defines this more than any of the other professional sports.

ordigger said:
Fat Bruno said:
ordigger said:
Dear Mike:

Charles B.

I do think money in general is ruining sports as we know them compared to 30 years ago. I don't see the we in team as much anymore, its more about the me...and how much can I make. The NBA defines this more than any of the other professional sports.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that really. What I would ask is, why single out the warriors? They are the 2nd or 3rd most unselfish team we've seen in probably 30 years.They run offense, move without the ball, pass/cut, play excellent defense. Oh and they're unbelievably skilled basketball players.

MtTarheel said:
ordigger said:
I wouldn't disagree with any of that really. What I would ask is, why single out the warriors? They are the 2nd or 3rd most unselfish team we've seen in probably 30 years.They run offense, move without the ball, pass/cut, play excellent defense. Oh and they're unbelievably skilled basketball players.
Basketball perhaps tends to focus this the most, but I would also argue that baseball has the "me" over "we" pretty bad too.

I'm generally a "curmudgeon" about these issues ... but, realistically, it's hard to blame the players for grabbing what they can, going where they can make the most $$$ (win championships, be happy, etc). I'm reminded of one of several classic lines from the movie "Bull Durham":"Come on meat, show me ... "

In case anyone is kinda slow, that's pretty much how -- in the end -- pro sports management thinks of the guys who go out on the field. And Costner's character knew it. But the owners/managers have no choice either ... fans may "love" a particular player, but they always turn nasty if the team doesn't win.

IdaGriz01 said:
MtTarheel said:
ordigger said:
Basketball perhaps tends to focus this the most, but I would also argue that baseball has the "me" over "we" pretty bad too.

I'm generally a "curmudgeon" about these issues ... but, realistically, it's hard to blame the players for grabbing what they can, going where they can make the most $$$ (win championships, be happy, etc). I'm reminded of one of several classic lines from the movie "Bull Durham":"Come on meat, show me ... "

In case anyone is kinda slow, that's pretty much how -- in the end -- pro sports management thinks of the guys who go out on the field. And Costner's character knew it. But the owners/managers have no choice either ... fans may "love" a particular player, but they always turn nasty if the team doesn't win.

I would agree somewhat for baseball, but I also think the recent influx of hispanic players has brought baseball back to what it was. I watched the World Baseball Classic, and the excitement, and camaraderie among teams like Puerto Rico, Colombia and Dominican Republican was truly enjoyable to see - also obviously I was cheering for USA, then Colombia, as my girlfriend is from there.

MtTarheel said:
ordigger said:
Fat Bruno said:
ordigger said:
Dear Mike:

Charles B.

lol...I was being facetious and attributing the comment to Barkley, as he complains about everything. Honestly I've not watched a full NBA game since LeBron jumped to the Heat. Background noise is all, and I've not seen the Warriors play much....they are simply the face of the "new" NBA. If the Suns were the "it" team right now, I would've used them.

michael - my advice to you is first and foremost to take school seriously, and get your degree in a field that you love so that your future work life is more likely to be rewarding. having said that, if you want to try the pro basketball route, definitely do so, at least as long as you enjoy it. if the nba doesn't work out but you are good enough for european leagues, living internationally while getting paid to play hoops might make for a super interesting and invaluable experience, and i would think worth considering.

Back