• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Uncertainty abounds for Griz as signing period opens

Although the headline is somewhat misleading (more of a teaser than a headline), Kyle Sample's excellent update on Montana basketball gives a pretty good indicator of the direction Montana hoops is headed over the next one-to-two years.

Without getting into details, Montana has some further recruit possibilities lined up for later this spring. And -- if either of the 2018-19 prospects mentioned do commit -- some very good news, indeed for Montana basketball.

Three of the four new players incoming signed last Nov., but there were two public signing ceremonies earlier today that I'm aware of. Twitter photos of those signings attached. Nico Bevens (top) and Karl Nicholas.

And, Kyle's story is worth reading for the great quote from coach DeCuire at the end of the story. Nico Bevens (top) and Karl Nicholas.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BrianBevens/status/852262606609895424[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/justoohoops/status/852253769689640960[/tweet]

I would think a sophomore big of some sort would be a welcome transfer addition if one is available.
Finding a grad transfer for next year seems to be a great one year stop gap. That could help with depth. It would keep an extra scholarship for 2018. Anyone know of any possibilities?
Just like this year, there is always a decent chance someone will leave after next season, which would give us 3for 2018.
I still wish we had more walk on fillers. Practice squad and always looking for a diamond in the rough.

GrizWhiz said:
Given two "bigs" just left, I think at least one more "big" for 2017 would be a priority.
We already have two bigs in the 2017 class. Our area of need is a juco qualifier guard that can score a bit that would come to us as a sophomore, like Nico... but a guard. An instant offense, Walter Wright kinda kid but preferably not 5'8".

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

casewinter13 said:
GrizWhiz said:
Given two "bigs" just left, I think at least one more "big" for 2017 would be a priority.
We already have two bigs in the 2017 class. Our area of need is a juco qualifier guard that can score a bit that would come to us as a sophomore, like Nico... but a guard. An instant offense, Walter Wright kinda kid but preferably not 5'8".

Look at the roster, they don't need another scoring guard, they need a back-up point. They need guys to fit roles, just as they are recruiting to

kyle_sample said:
casewinter13 said:
GrizWhiz said:

Look at the roster, they don't need another scoring guard, they need a back-up point. They need guys to fit roles, just as they are recruiting to
I looked at the roster, thanks. I said a Walter Wright type, because he can score and play point. They have falls coming in next year that can handle some point and score, but they have only 3 true guards really. Another one that can score and handle point isn't exactly a wild idea, Kyle, but your snark is appreciated as always.

casewinter, pretty thin-skinned if you call that snark. It was a straight forward response with no insult.

casewinter13 said:
kyle_sample said:
casewinter13 said:
GrizWhiz said:

I looked at the roster, thanks. I said a Walter Wright type, because he can score and play point. They have falls coming in next year that can handle some point and score, but they have only 3 true guards really. Another one that can score and handle point isn't exactly a wild idea, Kyle, but your snark is appreciated as always.

Falls isn't really a true point. He's been scouted as a combo guard, more likely to score than find others to score. They need a guy who is going to recognize who needs the ball and has the mentality to get it to him. They'll have enough scoring with Rorie, Oguine, Dorsey, Pridgett and the pairing of Akoh and Krslovic. More than another player like Walt, they need a guy more committed running the offense and setting others up to score

kyle_sample said:
casewinter13 said:
kyle_sample said:
casewinter13 said:

Falls isn't really a true point. He's been scouted as a combo guard, more likely to score than find others to score. They need a guy who is going to recognize who needs the ball and has the mentality to get it to him. They'll have enough scoring with Rorie, Oguine, Dorsey, Pridgett and the pairing of Akoh and Krslovic. More than another player like Walt, they need a guy more committed running the offense and setting others up to score

....more snark...... :thumb:

HelenaHandBasket said:
fanofzoo said:
Spoja fits the point doesn't he.

Not sure Spoja is the answer. They still lack any quality depth at the point.

I am not worried about another PG. We are forgetting that Oguine and Pridgett each can be dynamic creators, and each great passers, when asked to be. Pridgett can be a point forward, just as Jamar played at times. Granted, the current roster leaves very little room for error, in case of an injury to Rorie ( I feel he is a better off guard). I would like to see how well Oguine and Pridgett could do running the offense, to spell Rorie.

mtgrizrule said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
fanofzoo said:

I am not worried about another PG. We are forgetting that Oguine and Pridgett each can be dynamic creators, and each great passers, when asked to be. Pridgett can be a point forward, just as Jamar played at times. Granted, the current roster leaves very little room for error, in case of an injury to Rorie ( I feel he is a better off guard). I would like to see how well Oguine and Pridgett could do running the offense, to spell Rorie.

Let me just add that my assessment is after talking to the coaching staff. These guys know these players talents and how they work in concert with the rest of the roster far better than we do. They believe they need a true point guard on this roster

kyle_sample said:
mtgrizrule said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
fanofzoo said:

Let me just add that my assessment is after talking to the coaching staff. These guys know these players talents and how they work in concert with the rest of the roster far better than we do. They believe they need a true point guard on this roster

I agree totally. A true point guard is what is most needed. Spoja seems suited for off-guard, from what he has shown (and he has had little chance to show), he is a shooter. Pridgett made lots of turnovers when bringing the ball up this past season, mostly when he let himself get outta control trying to make something happen that wasn't there. I don't think he is a point guard.

There is a Point Guard per Kyle

Norwegian PG Lars Espe committed to Montana. Griz have now filled 12 of 13 scholarships #GrizHoops.
hudl.com/profile/657767…

HelenaHandBasket said:
There is a Point Guard per Kyle

Norwegian PG Lars Espe committed to Montana. Griz have now filled 12 of 13 scholarships #GrizHoops.
hudl.com/profile/657767…

Are you sure this wasn't Montana State?

Back