• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New BBall verbal: Peter Jones

Paytonlives said:
flatheadedgriz said:
Is it safe to assume he's a walk-on?
What a week for Griz hoops!!!!

If he's a walk on... Griz got a steal. Loves to go to the rack and finish.

I thought we were at our Scollie limit? He must be a walk on or there's something I do not know. Tremendous value if he's coming on as a walk on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is a walk-on. Played in the toughest high school basketball division in the northwest. His tape is short, but shows he's not afraid of playing against more difficult competition

kyle_sample said:
He is a walk-on. Played in the toughest high school basketball division in the northwest. His tape is short, but shows he's not afraid of playing against more difficult competition

That is a very solid walk on. So educate us a bit on that Kyle. In football, we see preferred walk ons who get a roster spot and the opportunity to get first crack at a potential open scholarship. Is it similar in hoops? With limited schollies and players graduating I was trying to figure it out. Academic scholarship or dollars maybe in play?

I like his athleticism. Would be nice to see him operate in the paint and/or mid range shots. I have a feeling he will redshirt and likely targeted to be given Krslovic's scholarship for the 2018/19 season. Size wise, he compares favorably to Fabian. He certainly has Div 1 athleticism.

HookedonGriz said:
kyle_sample said:

That is a very solid walk on. So educate us a bit on that Kyle. In football, we see preferred walk ons who get a roster spot and the opportunity to get first crack at a potential open scholarship. Is it similar in hoops? With limited schollies and players graduating I was trying to figure it out. Academic scholarship or dollars maybe in play?

At this time he is just a walk-on. You can't give partial scholarship to basketball players, it's an equivalency sport meaning all scholarships have to be full scholarships. It's possible he could be given a scholarship next year depending on what happens with the roster.
This could have changed with the signing of Espe, but Montana had its eyes on two point guards for the 2018 class so I'd guess that's where the scholarship opened by Fab's graduation will go. But recruiting is a volatile thing and could change from week to week, so it's anybody's guess right now.

kyle_sample said:
HookedonGriz said:
kyle_sample said:

At this time he is just a walk-on. You can't give partial scholarship to basketball players, it's an equivalency sport meaning all scholarships have to be full scholarships. It's possible he could be given a scholarship next year depending on what happens with the roster.
This could have changed with the signing of Espe, but Montana had its eyes on two point guards for the 2018 class so I'd guess that's where the scholarship opened by Fab's graduation will go. But recruiting is a volatile thing and could change from week to week, so it's anybody's guess right now.

Thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated. On another note, what would you have said the chance of signing Espe was prior to his actual signing since he had connections to Frey and the Cats. I figured we had basically had no shot. Loved stealing him away.

Back