• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz win!

Masterful pitching by Michaela Hood. Outstanding (and clutch) team defense in late innings. And (finally in this tense marathon) a clutch home run by Sydney Stites in the top of the 10th.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/UMGRIZZLIES_SB/status/863175153504714752[/tweet]

Redemption!!! Likely have to play Weber again tomorrow. Nothing comes easy - but if anyone can do it it's these Lady Griz!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/UMGRIZZLIES_SB/status/863174715657027584[/tweet]
All that on zero days of rest from her shutout win yesterday...Amazing!

Hood almost single handedly won that game for the Griz. To throw 10 innings and hold one of the most potent offenses in the league to 1 run is nothing short of remarkable. And couple that with the fact that Weber has seen her like 5 times now it's even more incredible. She is electric and we are lucky to have her. Not to take away from Stites bomb, that was timely and hugely needed. But besides that the Griz offense couldn't do anything but get in their own way. This is why I say Hood almost single handedly won it. I can't believe how many failed bunt attempts these girls had. It was extremely frustrating to watch the girls not get a bunt down to save their life. Not just once or twice but like six, including multiple pop ups. In a 1-1 pitcher dual, small ball means EVEYTHING and the girls failed miserably there. Sorry I digress, I'm so happy they still found a way to win and that shows a lot as well about their heart and character. Bring home the chipper! Hood for president!

HookedonGriz said:
Hood almost single handedly won that game for the Griz. To throw 10 innings and hold one of the most potent offenses in the league to 1 run is nothing short of remarkable. And couple that with the fact that Weber has seen her like 5 times now it's even more incredible. She is electric and we are lucky to have her. Not to take away from Stites bomb, that was timely and hugely needed. But besides that the Griz offense couldn't do anything but get in their own way. This is why I say Hood almost single handedly won it. I can't believe how many failed bunt attempts these girls had. It was extremely frustrating to watch the girls not get a bunt down to save their life. Not just once or twice but like six, including multiple pop ups. In a 1-1 pitcher dual, small ball means EVEYTHING and the girls failed miserably there. Sorry I digress, I'm so happy they still found a way to win and that shows a lot as well about their heart and character. Bring home the chipper! Hood for president!

HookedonGriz: I agree 100% that Michaela Hood is a consistent and powerful pitcher. She's particularly efficient with runners on base; she doesn't get rattled, just follows her pitching routine. She's got the ability to get better with each year.

BUT, I disagree that she single-handedly won the game. Yes, Montana has struggled in some games against tough pitchers. And there have been some examples of passive hitting/baserunning. Coach Pinkerton has been up front with his team's offensive output. In spite of that, Montana outhit Weber State 14-11; they just struggled getting runs home. Weber St. has a solid defense.

TEAM DEFENSE: But Montana's defense today against Weber State was championship caliber. Hood, in combo with Montana's defense, held Weber State to 1 run on 11 hits and 13 baserunners (thirteen!). Over the final five innings WSU had runners in scoring position in four of the innings, yet Montana's defense made the plays when they counted. TWO double plays turned by Montana's defense in the final four innings. And they were plays turned by an infield that knew where to play and where to throw the all for sure outs.

In softball and baseball a key phrase is covering for each other. When a pitcher struggles, the D covers for some hits & runs. When an offense struggles, the pitcher picks them up with clutch pitching... as with errors.

This is a complete team and today's game was proof. They only scored two runs, but the defense held WSU down until Sydney delivered the game-winner. The Griz earned their appearance in the championship game. Here's to continued and focused team play tomorrow.

grizzlyjournal said:
HookedonGriz said:

HookedonGriz: I agree 100% that Michaela Hood is a consistent and powerful pitcher. She's particularly efficient with runners on base; she doesn't get rattled, just follows her pitching routine. She's got the ability to get better with each year.

BUT, I disagree that she single-handedly won the game. Yes, Montana has struggled in some games against tough pitchers. And there have been some examples of passive hitting/baserunning. Coach Pinkerton has been up front with his team's offensive output. In spite of that, Montana outhit Weber State 14-11; they just struggled getting runs home. Weber St. has a solid defense.

TEAM DEFENSE: But Montana's defense today against Weber State was championship caliber. Hood, in combo with Montana's defense, held Weber State to 1 run on 11 hits and 13 baserunners (thirteen!). Over the final five innings WSU had runners in scoring position in four of the innings, yet Montana's defense made the plays when they counted. TWO double plays turned by Montana's defense in the final four innings. And they were plays turned by an infield that knew where to play and where to throw the all for sure outs.

In softball and baseball a key phrase is covering for each other. When a pitcher struggles, the D covers for some hits & runs. When an offense struggles, the pitcher picks them up with clutch pitching... as with errors.

This is a complete team and today's game was proof. They only scored two runs, but the defense held WSU down until Sydney delivered the game-winner. The Griz earned their appearance in the championship game. Here's to continued and focused team play tomorrow.

All valid points for sure. I should have worded it differently. I should have said Hood and the Defense won the game. My bigger point was that the offense did NOTHING and if it weren't for Hood (and the D) it wouldn't have been a game. The offense needs to find ways to drive runners in. How many runners did they leave stranded today? It had to be a ton. And the lack of execution was hard to watch if I'm being honest. Bunting a runner over shouldn't be difficult for these girls, yet the better bunters failed to move a runner at least 6 times. There were at least 3 pop up bunts for outs...that's terrible execution and I'm not afraid to call it out. One led to the runner being doubled out. This same thing happened a couple times in their Weber series at the end of the year. This needs to be cleaned up fast if they are going to be in these close games. So that was really my only point...that if Hood (and yes the D....even though an error led to Weber's only run) wasn't completely on fire they don't win that game. They got in their own way plenty. Still so happy they are in chipper. Go Griz!

This young woman (Hood) is special. To show the poise and grit she does is remarkable for a freshman. Good times ahead for her and this team. Bring home the title!

grizzlyjournal said:
Griz erupt for 7 in the bottom of the fourth. Now lead 8-2. Go Griz!

Oops sorry, Everett. We're on the same wavelength.

No worries at all, GJ! More the merrier!!

maroonandsilver said:
EverettGriz said:
9-3 GRIZ!!! End 5.

6 outs away. Hood has pitched 21 innings in 3 days (so far, and heres hoping she gets 23!). That would send a MLB pitcher to the hospital!

Ha! Sure would!

Actually weebs just cut it to 9-4 and Hood came out to a standing O from Griz players and fans.

Back