• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz basketball

616s6e

Wednesday May 17th was the regular signing date for NCAA D-1 basketball. I was expecting that Shannon would have something to announce. Does that mean that everyone is returning? Does it mean that there are no scholarships left?

And, any news on whether she will be bringing in a new assistant? I thought that Eric Hays was a one year deal.

Anyone have any updates?

616s6e said:
Wednesday May 17th was the regular signing date for NCAA D-1 basketball. I was expecting that Shannon would have something to announce. Does that mean that everyone is returning? Does it mean that there are no scholarships left?

And, any news on whether she will be bringing in a new assistant? I thought that Eric Hays was a one year deal.

Anyone have any updates?

The last public statement on this subject from Shannon that I know of was right after the conclusion of the season in a 2016/17 wrap-up in the Missoulian. In that article, Shannon said she had 2 scholarships to give. Given the present roster, who is returning, and the incoming recruits, that indicates 2 ladies on the roster would not be returning. I have not heard who those players might be and I have not heard of additional newcomers.
Eric Hayes came on board for 1 to 2 years. I know he has indicated he would like to return again this upcoming season. Shannon has indicated she would like to fill the position long-term if she can find the right coach, who she wants to be a recruiter. If she can't (or hasn't) found that person, I feel she is open to Hayes coaching this upcoming season.
In short, I don't know the answers to your questions, and I have had the same questions myself.

Maddie Keast left the team which accounts for one of the scholarships that is available.
Speculation on my part but Henny Hearn or Nora Klick could be one of the players leaving. both have had bad back problems.
Laree Mane is on the roster as a walk-on and could earn one of the available scholarships. Or Shannon could be saving both scholarships for next fall signing period.
Or, both scholarships went to Sims and Valley for their red-shirt seasons.

TrueGriz said:
Maddie Keast left the team which accounts for one of the scholarships that is available.
Speculation on my part but Henny Hearn or Nora Klick could be one of the players leaving. both have had bad back problems.
Laree Mane is on the roster as a walk-on and could earn one of the available scholarships. Or Shannon could be saving both scholarships for next fall signing period.
Or, both scholarships went to Sims and Valley for their red-shirt seasons.

This is what I think the status is, please correct me if I am wrong:

The Lady Griz went in to this past season with all scholarships filled, and the thought that with 3 seniors graduating, they had 3 scholarships available for the 2017 class. The filled 2 of those scholarships with incoming freshmen (Anderson and Stiles), leaving 1. When 2 Seniors went down with ACL's they needed scholarships for those 2 to return in 2017. Those scholarships were filled with Maddie's and Rachel's. So I believe the Lady Griz are at full roster unless someone is leaving. I don't know the status of Jaree. She was a great player in high school who would have gotten a scholarship if she did not blow her knee. I don't know how her redshirt year went at UM.

Maroon and Silver, I think I agree with your math. They will have 2 new scholarship players (Abby Anderson from Oregon and Sophie Stiles from Malta - they can fill those slots with Keast leaving and Staudacher graduating.

Sims and Valley will simply retain their slots, so that means that all scholarships are filled for next year.

So, I guess that I can start thinking about next year when three scholarships will be available - Sims, Valley, and Mekayla Isaak.

616s6e said:
Maroon and Silver, I think I agree with your math. They will have 2 new scholarship players (Abby Anderson from Oregon and Sophie Stiles from Malta - they can fill those slots with Keast leaving and Staudacher graduating.

Sims and Valley will simply retain their slots, so that means that all scholarships are filled for next year.

So, I guess that I can start thinking about next year when three scholarships will be available - Sims, Valley, and Mekayla Isaak.

Unless we can take Shannon's word from the Missoulian right after the season that she has 2 scholarships to give, then we can continue to ponder who is leaving to make those scholarships available.

Back