• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Schweyen's Lady Griz get two early signees

grizzlyjournal

Perhaps not a huge surprise, but an awesome double whammy with early commitments by versatile 5-11 Sentinel Spartan standouts Jordyn Schweyen and Kylie Froelich.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ajmazzolini/status/871189776610861056[/tweet]

Journal, not to nitpick here, put Shannon's last name is Schweyen. As is her daughter's. I haven't heard her, or anyone associated with her call her Shannon Cate in years, and when she was introduced on the spring tour, she was introduced as Shannon Schweyen. Not even Cate-Schweyen.

On a side not, finally had the opportunity to speak with her husband when I did a story on Griz triple=jumper Sammy Evans a few weeks ago. What a great guy he is.

George Ferguson said:
Journal, not to nitpick here, put Shannon's last name is Schweyen. As is her daughter's. I haven't heard her, or anyone associated with her call her Shannon Cate in years, and when she was introduced on the spring tour, she was introduced as Shannon Schweyen. Not even Cate-Schweyen.

On a side not, finally had the opportunity to speak with her husband when I did a story on Griz triple=jumper Sammy Evans a few weeks ago. What a great guy he is.

You SHOULD! That was a really dumb mistake on my part. My sincere apologies for the wrong name (misspelled at that). Headline is changed.

When you stop to think about it, the offspring of former Griz players constitutes a formidable collection of athletic talent, from Tinks's three kids, to Derek Selvig, to Shannon's daughters, plus several others I'm sure I've missed. And in the not too distant future, I expect to be hearing from Krysko's sons as well. The athletic bloodlines in that family are off the charts.

From the minute Shannon became head coach, I posed this question: "Can she recruit her own household?" Thankfully, the answer seems to be yes.

Interesting, though not uncommon these days, I guess, that two athletes have played against each other in the high school arena, and then become teammates while in college:

(tribune photo) http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/sports/2017/03/11/aa-girls-cmr-falls-missoula-sentinel/99045872/

...well, at least both now are 'Griz.'

Am I wrong, but I think there are 3 scholarships open for next year. That takes care of 2 of the presumed 3 scholarships.

My question about this staff is who is going to go out on the road to recruit? Probably not Shannon with a family and she will get little backup from a spouse who has a very full plate as the Track coach.

Sonja has or is getting ready to have baby #1.

Petrino will have to be the guy who goes on the road.

This is all a bit of exaggeration from an outsider's perspective - I don't know what will happen with the remaining coaching position.

But, I know that Shannon can recruit her household and her daughter's team, let's see what she can do with that third scholarship that I presume exists.

Hope she can find a player who is the caliber of Sims or Valley or Stiles.

Anyway, I would like to see recruiting like Travis does with the men. He goes up against strong competition and gets "wow" talent.

If her first two recruits are in that category, I'm not sure. But let's see what happens with the 3rd recruit - if there is a 3rd scholarship.

616s6e said:
Am I wrong, but I think there are 3 scholarships open for next year. That takes care of 2 of the presumed 3 scholarships.

My question about this staff is who is going to go out on the road to recruit? Probably not Shannon with a family and she will get little backup from a spouse who has a very full plate as the Track coach.

This is all a bit of exaggeration from an outsider's perspective - I don't know what will happen with the remaining coaching position.

But, I know that Shannon can recruit her household and her daughter's team, let's see what she can do with that third scholarship that I presume exists.

Anyway, I would like to see recruiting like Travis does with the men. He goes up against strong competition and gets "wow" talent.

If her first two recruits are in that category, I'm not sure. But let's see what happens with the 3rd recruit - if there is a 3rd scholarship.

Yes, there are 3 Seniors: Isaak, Sims, Valley, so with 2 scholarships spoken for, 1 remains.

I think you are being a bit sexist if you don't think Shannon can go out to recruit. She did lots of the recruiting the past few years when Selvig was HC. She and hubby Brian have been able to share family duties/responsibilities thru-out their marriage while coaching. Things won't be any different now, and probably will be even easier since the daughters are older.

maroonandsilver said:
616s6e said:

Yes, there are 3 Seniors: Isaak, Sims, Valley, so with 2 scholarships spoken for, 1 remains.

I think you are being a bit sexist if you don't think Shannon can go out to recruit. She did lots of the recruiting the past few years when Selvig was HC. She and hubby Brian have been able to share family duties/responsibilities thru-out their marriage while coaching. Things won't be any different now, and probably will be even easier since the daughters are older.

I might be wrong, but I think there is more to it than just having 3 seniors to graduate. Both Sims and Valley were seniors last year and I thought we signed recruits to replace them while they were injured. Now they are both coming back as seniors again. We lost Keast, but I still think we could be a scholly short. Also, I believe the Bozeman volleyball transfer is a walk on this year but I would expect her to earn a scholly as well. This class may be done??

Has anyone out there who is a girl's hoops junkie seen both of these recruits play? If so, could you comment on how they stack up talent-wise with our recent recruits? I have seen Stiles play a number of times and I think she has talent to burn. But, I can't comment on these two because I haven't seen them play. Thoughts??

go96griz said:
maroonandsilver said:
616s6e said:

I might be wrong, but I think there is more to it than just having 3 seniors to graduate. Both Sims and Valley were seniors last year and I thought we signed recruits to replace them while they were injured. Now they are both coming back as seniors again. We lost Keast, but I still think we could be a scholly short. Also, I believe the Bozeman volleyball transfer is a walk on this year but I would expect her to earn a scholly as well. This class may be done??

My understanding...Keast is not the only one to leave the program.

Back