• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky chooses new basketball tournament location

So, despite their reports of the Nevada tourney being a success, we can assume otherwise by this news?

PeauxRouge said:
So, despite their reports of the Nevada tourney being a success, we can assume otherwise by this news?

I think the numbers showed otherwise long before now. Now that the contract will be up the Big Sky can admit what was already evident. I saw an article that showed the attendance total for the event in Reno was about 2000 for the men and 900 for the women. The NAIA tournament in Billings drew more than 10,000. Boise should be a big improvement. If not, Billings has a lot of devoted BBall fans and can provide quite a few paying customers and would have alot more Big Sky interested fans.

Almost any site better than Reno.

Still in favor of conf champ to host

Boise?? Will have to see if that is an improvement

Oh I also agree that the winner should host, but if there has to be a site, boise is better than Reno. I lived in Reno a year and actually liked it there, but march limits fun. Tahoe is great, so if the tourney was in July, Reno is the place. Idaho at least has some ties to the big sky, boise is a bit more central to more members. Plus, now that I live near there, I'll be at the tourneys!

The arena is a million times better. It's down town, great location. Boise is a great sports town. If the BSC does its job recruiting they run a better chance at pulling better numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoldenEagle said:
At some point they will get it correct and move it to Spokane.

I agree w/ GoldenEagle on this point. If the Big Sky wants to draw partisan fans (instead of only making it easy for teams) from the largest group of Big Sky schools, Spokane is the most logical location, with SLC next. Boise, however, is a huge step forward from Reno.

Phoenix, Salt Lake or Denver make the most sense due to flight ease for all schools. Just not going to draw many outside fans from either spot other than their local schools being just down the road. Although, I would assume Phoenix would have a decent population of alum given its demographics.

cmtgrizzly said:
Spokane would be a good choice as well. Some people might feel that is a little too close to home for EWU.

In reality, until the GU bubble bursts, most Spokane fans other than the diehards wouldn't attend an EWU game.

Back