• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Is Tinks OK at Oregon State?

citygriz

Couple of things are making me wonder.
--In honor of Phil Knight's 80th birthday, they are holding a major 16-team pre-season tournament in Portland. We know this is more than an "honor"; this is business. Major colleges have been among Nike's biggest clients, and the Nike Swoosh on college uniforms has been a major boost for the brand. Thus his major clients are showing up to honor him: Duke, Texas, Michigan State, Gonzaga, Butler, UConn, Georgetown, Ohio State, Stanford, and Texas, together with the major D1 teams from Oregon--Oregon, Portland State, Portland. Oddly, one Oregon team is missing: Oregon State. (Could be Oregon State is not a Nike client? Or Oregon State doesn't want to face that competition?)
--Meantime, Tinks's first nine games are at home, and the competition is hardly daunting. He goes on the road for one game before the start of the Pac12 schedule: Kent State. (He's already lost at home to Wyoming.) This is right out of the Larry K playbook. Remember at Utah how he played cupcakes at home to build up his wins? Our own Travis DeCuire can take on a challenging schedule because his job is safe. But early Krysko at Utah, and early Tinks at Oregon State? This is a sign to me that those jobs are not yet safe.
--Recruiting to Corvallis? This is a tough challenge. Is Tinks up to it? Well, you could arguably say that his three best recruits so far are sons of the Oregon State coaching staff. That talent pool is only so deep. He does have a commitment from a four-star seven footer for 2018, but remember, this is the Pac12, where four-star recruits are a dime a dozen, and the real goal is a five-star. Can Tinks keep up?
I know they love him in Corvallis, as we do at Montana. He's a great guy, and they pretty much gave him a pass on their dismal season last year because of injuries. But one or two more bad years, and I really question whether his job is safe. Two years will tell the tale.

On the recruiting comment. Oregon State is never going to be a consistent condender for 5* talent. One could argue that Arizona and UCLA are the only two Pac12 schools with a legit shot at consistently landing 5* talent. 4* talent is probably the peak for OSU and even then, 2-3 four stars would be a huge recruiting year. Programs like Oregon State and Washington State are going to be competitive by scouring the land (and over the seas) for under-recruited 3* and unranked players that show potential.

driftwood said:
On the recruiting comment. Oregon State is never going to be a consistent condender for 5* talent. One could argue that Arizona and UCLA are the only two Pac12 schools with a legit shot at consistently landing 5* talent. 4* talent is probably the peak for OSU and even then, 2-3 four stars would be a huge recruiting year. Programs like Oregon State and Washington State are going to be competitive by scouring the land (and over the seas) for under-recruited 3* and unranked players that show potential.

Washington this year produced the top pick in the NBA draft, Markelle Fultz. Until they changed coaches, they also had the guy who was the top high school player in the country last year, Michael Porter. Oregon just nabbed Manute Bol's son, Bol Bol, a five-star. In football, Stanford gets some of the top talent in the country, and if their new coach, Jerrod Haase, can turn that program around, he too will be getting some of the top basketball talent in the country. And don't forget about USC. They're not known as a basketball school, but if you look at current NBA rosters of former USC players, it's an impressive list: Nikola Vucevic, Taj Gibson, Nick Young and DeMar DeRozan. That's what Tinks is up against. No question Tres Tinkle is an NBA player. But he's done recruiting the sons of him and his assistants.

lotsa said:
Might consider foster care.
Cute! :lol: :lol:

But wait ... What about the NCAA? :eek: Remember the big theme in "The Blind Side." Football, I know, but it's the same NCAA jerks.

Oregon State lost JaQuori McLaughlin, their stud sophomore who started 35 of 38 games for Tinks. The OSU BB fan board is having a melt down, blaming and defending Tinks, its sad to see. Sounds like the kid was having academic problems. Some of the threads there calling out coach are just... ffs they have no idea what they have.
http://bennyshouse.freeforums.net/thread/7370/congratulations

I still think Tinks is one of the worst coaches I've ever seen as far as working officials. He bitches every single possession on both sides of the ball and refs learn to ignore him. I don't know what is going on at OSU right now, but I guarantee the refs hate dealing with him and he is probably costing his team a couple calls/game. If you pick your spots when to complain it will resonate much more. I don't think DeCuire has a great rapport with many refs either, but in a different way. He doesn't say much towards the refs,but will go overboard and cuss loudly when he does complain and refs don't like that either. There is a good middle ground, where you complain in the right tone when necessary.

After looking at their schedule, I can’t imagine that the Beavers have the esaiest non conference schedule in the country. Wow

Pretty good conference start for OSU. Watched them work over Colorado then take Oregon over the weekend. Close loss to Krysko's Utah. Colorado then went and beat both Arizona schools over the weekend. Utah lost real close ones to both Arizona schools at home.

Tres playing very well for OSU. Top scoring average on the team but also seems to be developing his entire game. Rebounded well in both the games I watched and seems less selfish on offense. Takes what the other team gives him. His inside drive, pivot, spin moves are very effective.

Announcers continually calling him "the best player on the team". Outside of Josh Huestis not often a Montana kid has been called that for a Pac 12 team. Also have to mention Kendall Manuel from Billings Skyview. He looks to be one of the first guards off the bench and think scored 10 or so the other night vs. Oregon after missing the Colorado game. He hit two big 2nd half threes that helped keep Oregon at bay.

They may not be quite at "Malatare" level.....but a couple pretty good MT HS kids.

Mousegriz said:
Pretty good conference start for OSU. Watched them work over Colorado then take Oregon over the weekend. Close loss to Krysko's Utah. Colorado then went and beat both Arizona schools over the weekend. Utah lost real close ones to both Arizona schools at home.

Tres playing very well for OSU. Top scoring average on the team but also seems to be developing his entire game. Rebounded well in both the games I watched and seems less selfish on offense. Takes what the other team gives him. His inside drive, pivot, spin moves are very effective.

Announcers continually calling him "the best player on the team". Outside of Josh Huestis not often a Montana kid has been called that for a Pac 12 team. Also have to mention Kendall Manuel from Billings Skyview. He looks to be one of the first guards off the bench and think scored 10 or so the other night vs. Oregon after missing the Colorado game. He hit two big 2nd half threes that helped keep Oregon at bay.

They may not be quite at "Malatare" level.....but a couple pretty good MT HS kids.

Little sarcasm at the end there? But, yes, Oregon State is playing very well. I am extremely happy for Tinks. Looks like he's going to win a lot of games in the Pac12, completely contradicting my earlier fears.

citay said:
Mousegriz said:

Little sarcasm at the end there? But, yes, Oregon State is playing very well. I am extremely happy for Tinks. Looks like he's going to win a lot of games in the Pac12, completely contradicting my earlier fears.

Couldn't help myself. Not directed at you but at "catsack" who says he'd "torch any MT kid at any level". I realize Tinkle/Manuel are no longer MT HS kids. Guess I better go watch Malatare one of these days.

Another funny note on OSU.....for those of you who know "Shifty" Sheffloe.....his belly is pretty prominent in a bright orange shirt courtside at those OSU home games!!

Mousegriz said:
citay said:
Mousegriz said:

Couldn't help myself. Not directed at you but at "catsack" who says he'd "torch any MT kid at any level". I realize Tinkle/Manuel are no longer MT HS kids. Guess I better go watch Malatare one of these days.

Another funny note on OSU.....for those of you who know "Shifty" Sheffloe.....his belly is pretty prominent in a bright orange shirt courtside at those OSU home games!!

Shifty moves to Ore. St. for seasons to follow the team, and I assume still goes to the road games too.

Mouse, I didn't understand your earlier comment on Huestis.

PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
citay said:
Mousegriz said:

Shifty moves to Ore. St. for seasons to follow the team, and I assume still goes to the road games too.

Mouse, I didn't understand your earlier comment on Huestis.

I meant that Huestis, a MT kid, was probably the best player on his PAC 12 team too. He's now playing quite a bit for Oklahoma City in the NBA.....first MT HS kid since Krysko to crack an NBA roster.

Back