• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Question for mtgrizrule

citygriz

Rule:
I've watched some action from the PK Tournament in Portland. Many big schools are there, and my first observation is, those big schools can shoot the ball. Especially from three, and from the foul line. In contrast, I think we are hurrying our shots late in the shot clock, and not putting very good rotation on our foul shots. But since you've discoursed before on this board about shooting technique, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Also if you think our shooting will get better as the season goes on.

Citay, due to my damn work schedule, unfortunately I have not been able to watch the GRIZ as much as I would like. The little I have seen, my biggest concern last season was Moorehead. Last season, I could tell before he released his shot if it was a good shot or likely not to go in. He developed a horrible hitch and was often off balance. This season, his shot looks more consistently smooth and much better balance. Providing he keeps that consistency, he should be in the upper 30's or low 40's for percentage this season.

I feel Rorie can be depended on for high 30's. Falls looks like he is having some Freshman struggles, but I can see, he has a lot of potential. Question is, how long will it take him to find his game and adjust to the higher level. I have not yet seen enough of Bevens to really know what to expect. At this point, I have to guess, he will likely be a typical jr college transfer, and will progress as the season progresses. Based on the videos I have seen of him, his shot looks pure and consistent as one can expect. I feel he has more range than Gfeller. Like Falls, he is likely struggling adjusting to the higher level and his new teammates. I really would like to see the GRIZ commit 4 to 6 minutes per game in getting him 2 to 4 open 3's, just to get him in sync and show confidence in him. I am guessing, he has yet to build enough of his game for DeCuire to show that kind of confidence in him. Unfortunately, with shooters, a coach has to ride the roller coaster with them. As for shooting, DeCuire is not very patient with pure shooters. Bevens might find his playing time and shot, if he can prove to be a quality defender. I feel the team would greatly benefit by Travis showing and allowing for more patience with shooters. IF they are taking good quality shots, and not forcing things, good things will come with experience.

Right now, it appears to me, if Oguine and Pridgett can improve their shooting consistency from 3 and the FT line, that might be the biggest key to the GRIZ improving. However, Oguine has also become a much more consistent creator, smarter, and more offensively aware. He is a consistent perimeter shot away from being NBA radars. I love everything that Nicholas brings to the team. He will be a terrific player, possibly freshman of the year in the conference. It will be fun to watch this guy develop. I'd like to see more ESPE at PG, to develop him. His strength is supposed to be as a distributor.

I do know the GRIZ are inconsistent in ball movement and consistently taking what Travis considers good or bad shots. The easiest fix to this is more ball movement, like the Warriors. Unfortunately, so many new faces will take more time to find that kind of consistency. I expect the team to struggle in offensive consistency through mid Jan or early Feb. That depends on who steps up beyond Oguine, Rorie, and Moorehead.

I will be attending Thursday night games during the conference schedule. I hope that will allow me to get a better grasp of this years team.

Latest posts

Back