• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky officiating-foul calling?

alabamagrizzly

So granted, the only B ball I’ve watched this year are the Montana games so I have no other reference’s to compare with but it just seems like they are calling an outrageous amount of fouls for the smallest touches. Is it just me or do I have a legitimate complaint?

It is astounding how differently this game has played out compared to the game in Portland.

Big Sky officials are way too whistle happy. It kills the conference come the NCAA tournament too. Most officiating crews let teams play in the tournament. However, this GRIZ team is always diving and hustling for loose balls. I have a feeling, this year's GRIZ won't let the lack of calls effect them as much as past GRIZ teams. I actually think Tournament officiating will benefit the GRIZ, being they are so aggressive defensively and taking the ball to the hoop.

It actually might allow the GRIZ to turn up the defense a few more notches.

In ISU's game tonight against northern Colorado in Pocatello, the officials called 55 fouls, 39 in the second half. There were 72 free throw attempts, 58 in the second half. Five players fouled out, another five had four fouls each. I'll leave it up to you to decide whether the refs were "whistle happy" or not.

votb said:
In ISU's game tonight against northern Colorado in Pocatello, the officials called 55 fouls, 39 in the second half. There were 72 free throw attempts, 58 in the second half. Five players fouled out, another five had four fouls each. I'll leave it up to you to decide whether the refs were "whistle happy" or not.

Sorry that the fans and teams had to put up with that kind of officiating. Were you at the game?

votb said:

They are not in shape is part of their issue...by the middle of the second half one can see their conditioning is lacking. Plus, it's been like this since Western started all their back door crap back in the 60s. Officials started calling a lot of fouls on screens away from the ball and it progressively worked its way into they key. Fifteen or twenty fouls a game is fairly high in a Power 5 game under most circumstances...with a few exceptions such as a rivalry game that will skew the data.

There really is no valid or reliable reason for subjecting all of us to sitting through free throw shooting contests.

votb said:

#bsc.

Voice, good to see you back on eGriz. Please post more often.

It is amazing how they call the touch foul outside, and let the guys in the key eat the crap out of each other. It upsets the flow of the game. It’s really inconsistent week to week too. I saw a ref in one game walk over to a fan, and ask him tone quiet. L

rocklobster said:
It is amazing how they call the touch fouls outside, and let the guys in the key beat the crap out of each other. It upsets the flow of the game. It’s really inconsistent week to week too. I saw a ref in one game walk over to a fan, and ask him to be quiet.

My broadcast partner for home games is a great equalizer. He often is the guy who tries to bring balance to the air when I start criticizing officials "too much". He is very "reasonable" and has more ability to see things from different perspectives than I think I do. After one foul early in the second half last night, he took off his mic/headset and threw it on the floor behind us. At that point I knew I wasn't insane.

How many conferences does our ref pool service? Are the points of emphasis the same for each conference.

You typically see refs we have for our games on tv doing other conferences, including the Pac 12. It seems like they would approach the game the same in each venue.

The Griz-Portland game was a mess from an officiating standpoint.

votb said:
My broadcast partner for home games is a great equalizer. He often is the guy who tries to bring balance to the air when I start criticizing officials "too much". He is very "reasonable" and has more ability to see things from different perspectives than I think I do. After one foul early in the second half last night, he took off his mic/headset and threw it on the floor behind us. At that point I knew I wasn't insane.

:lol:

It really is bad. And there are simply far too many fans -- including many on this very board -- who just accept it and even tacitly support it by saying things like, "officiating is bad everywhere; what is the bsc to do?". Attendance and viewership of college basketball is in serious decline, and a league like the bsc absolutely cannot afford attendance and interest to fall further. Even on Weber's board -- WEBER's!! -- there is a thread that games at the Dee just aren't that exciting anymore. Officiating is playing a HUGE role in that, and the bsc seemingly just turns their heads and ignores the problem. Disgraceful.

votb said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

EverettGriz said:
votb said:
... Officiating is playing a HUGE role in that, and the bsc seemingly just turns their heads and ignores the problem. Disgraceful.
An interesting conundrum:
Whistle-happy refs definitely cripple the flow of the games, and ruin the show for the fans.

Yet, realistically, they could probably call even more fouls if they stayed closer to the letter of the rules. (Like in football, where the saying goes "They could call holding on every play if they wanted to.") Basketball, college and pro, has simply gotten way more physical than it was originally meant to be. (Anyone who calls it a "non-contact" sport hasn't been paying attention for the past 20-30 years.) Because bumping and grinding is now the norm, the rules have to walk a fine line between "letting them play" and maintaining player safety. And then the refs have to interpret what the rules say in a fast-paced, real-time setting.

I personally prefer "finesse" basketball to "physical," but I'm old and most likely out of step with the times. To me, watching two teams pound on each other, with no/few fouls being called is no better than a game where they call it tight and interrupt the flow. The first "flows" better ... for awhile. But, in my experience, the physicality often escalates to the point where things can get ugly. I recall an article about a game a few weeks ago (looked, but can't find it now, maybe someone else can find it): I think it was in the Big East and the "loser" ended up with loose teeth (yes, literally) from what was basically a forearm shiver ... but no foul was called. The refs barely managed to prevent a fight on the next trip down the court ... and the guy with the loose teeth ended up with a technical. How fair is that?

It appears that Big Sky refs prefer (probably by conference guidelines) more finesse and less physicality. Unlike some on here, I think that could -- under Coach DeCuire -- actually be an advantage for UM. The Griz play tough D, period. They clamp down on their opponents all over the court, and probably accept a lot of fouls as part of "the cost of doing business" as a hard-nosed defense. Think about a situation where some of that tight D doesn't lead to getting called for a foul. Advantage, Griz.

I'm quoting EverettGriz here, because he clearly identifies the current problem in NCAA Division One basketball that SHOULD frighten university athletic directors around the country. My apologies for the capitalization of certain words. But last night a veteran crew of Big Sky referees HIJACKED the Portland State vs. Montana game with their whistles. That it eventually worked in Montana's favor is a bit beside the point. The 4000-plus fans in attendance were ready to rock. Instead, they sat like rocks, frustrated at the painfully slow and herky-jerky flow of what many were hoping would be a fun game *(you know, like the Montana vs. North Dakota game of a few weeks past). I'm certain that many fans left feeling somewhat underwhelmed. It could have been a fast-paced Montana win. It gradually became a Montana win, but fast?..... hardly.

"Attendance and viewership of college basketball is in serious decline, and a league like the bsc absolutely cannot afford attendance and interest to fall further." -- EverettGriz

Approximately three years ago -- in an effort to boost scoring averages in games around the country -- the NCAA made a rule change to force an emphasis on perimeter "touch fouls" because they perceived that overtly physical play on the perimeter was preventing guards from driving lanes and also hurting perimeter shooting. Thus, lower game scores. I guess they didn't forsee that the resulting flood in the numbers of outrageous touch fouls can have the opposite effect: SLOWING and sometimes HALTING the natural flow of games. Meanwhile, by INCREASING the number of charging calls which results in an almost encouragement of FLOPPING, fans now must endure the incessant shriek and tweets of referee's whistles.

EverettGriz hit the point precisely. What that means is that fans are going to QUIT going to games. Easier to flip channels at home and find that rare game where the referees "let the kids play." Gates will suffer. All because of the sad state of officiating nowadays in the NCAA.

I've read many proposed remedies. Most are good. The BEST proposals (in my opinion) boil down to completely converting TO all the the rules and procedures now being administered in the NBA (at least the pro ranks are taking attendance seriously!). There are many ways to do that (make refereeing a good-paying profession where an actual college degree must be earned is a good start). Making the game of basketball UNIFORM (from high school up, perhaps?) through all college levels to all professional levels would return fan involvement to this once incredible nationally loved game (and a game that's gaining more and more fans worldwide). I could go on... but doing so would probably be a bit boring, you get the picture... eh? End of rant.

votb said:
:lol: :clap:

Back