• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz - #12 - Mid Major Top 25

these polls are interesting but I don't think UM is ready to be ranked that high unless they win the next two games on the road against solid teams. Had they pulled out one or two of the non conference games that I think they should have, then it would be different. Let's see how well they do in Moscow and wherever EWU is.

Griz2k said:
What is it that defines a mid-major anyway?

Essentially any team from a non-P5 conference (Pac12, Big 10, ACC, SEC, Big 12), along with the Big East, Mountain West, etc. Basically the FCS of basketball.

The Mid-Major Poll is made up of teams from the following conferences: America East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, Colonial, Horizon, Independents, Ivy, Metro Atlantic, Mid-American, Mid-Eastern, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland, Southwestern, Summit, Sun Belt, West Coast, Western Athletic.

EverettGriz said:
Griz2k said:

Essentially any team from a non-P5 conference (Pac12, Big 10, ACC, SEC, Big 12), along with the Big East, Mountain West, etc. Basically the FCS of basketball.

The Mid-Major Poll is made up of teams from the following conferences: America East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, Colonial, Horizon, Independents, Ivy, Metro Atlantic, Mid-American, Mid-Eastern, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland, Southwestern, Summit, Sun Belt, West Coast, Western Athletic.

Thanks man! I knew you'd be more reliable than Google. :thumb:

Griz2k said:
EverettGriz said:
Griz2k said:

Thanks man! I knew you'd be more reliable than Google. :thumb:
Depending on the poll, the Atlantic 10 and the Mountain West may or may not be considered "mid major" Everett did a good job explaining the classification above, though.

GrizLA said:
these polls are interesting but I don't think UM is ready to be ranked that high unless they win the next two games on the road against solid teams. Had they pulled out one or two of the non conference games that I think they should have, then it would be different. Let's see how well they do in Moscow and wherever EWU is.
Based on what? Based on comparisons to the other teams in the top 25? I've seen every team on that list play, and the griz are every bit as good as or better than South Dakota, Belmont, Vermont, Chicago Loyola, Charleston and a handful of others. Big road wins would bolster that, but as of this moment they certainly belong where they're at.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

casewinter13 said:
GrizLA said:
Based on what? Based on comparisons to the other teams in the top 25? I've seen every team on that list play, and the griz are every bit as good as or better than South Dakota, Belmont, Vermont, Chicago Loyola, Charleston and a handful of others. Big road wins would bolster that, but as of this moment they certainly belong where they're at.

Relax, Winter. That's just LA's perpetual negativity at play. We've decided to find it charming.

casewinter13 said:
GrizLA said:

Love your optimism but UM has not beaten any of the top 4 teams yet in the Big Sky. I want them to be top of the heap, advance in the NCAA but I think, after last night, they are a good team, and will be extremely good NEXT year. But, don't forget, the preseason coaches placed UM in 4th. As for your list of teams, I have seen Charleston twice and they look consistently good and I watched Vermont, another team that is better than most. Of course, polls mean nothing but it is fun to watch smaller schools get attention they deserve. By the way, if the NCAA is serious about the current scandals, and takes the actions they should, maybe more of these "mid major' teams will get a shot in the NCAA and a league like Big Sky get two teams in..it could happen...

GrizLA said:
casewinter13 said:
GrizLA said:

Love your optimism but UM has not beaten any of the top 4 teams yet in the Big Sky. I want them to be top of the heap, advance in the NCAA but I think, after last night, they are a good team, and will be extremely good NEXT year. But, don't forget, the preseason coaches placed UM in 4th. As for your list of teams, I have seen Charleston twice and they look consistently good and I watched Vermont, another team that is better than most. Of course, polls mean nothing but it is fun to watch smaller schools get attention they deserve. By the way, if the NCAA is serious about the current scandals, and takes the actions they should, maybe more of these "mid major' teams will get a shot in the NCAA and a league like Big Sky get two teams in..it could happen...

That and eliminating teams with a sub .500 conference record from being qualifying for the NCAA Tournament.

EverettGriz said:
casewinter13 said:
GrizLA said:

Relax, Winter. That's just LA's perpetual negativity at play. We've decided to find it charming.

Actually I think LA is spot on here...my confidence level is way down right now...

AZGrizFan said:
EverettGriz said:
casewinter13 said:
GrizLA said:

Actually I think LA is spot on here...my confidence level is way down right now...

It all depends on if the GRIZ get back to being the aggressors offensively, and/or they prove they can hit 3's when teams force the GRIZ to rely on them. Sure, I feel the GRIZ can do it if they limit their attempts. My concern is, can they prove it when teams are committed to sagging in the paint? I honestly don't see the GRIZ being able to prove that for more than 2 games. It's been a problem all season. To expect a team to suddenly turn a weakness into a strength come tournament time is really stretching it. Like it or not, 3 point shooting is a major weakness.

Coaches would be foolish to not collapse the paint consistently against the GRIZ. I absolutely would force and challenge the GRIZ to beat us from 3 consistently. Yes, I would want the GRIZ to shoot at least 20 3's in a game. If the GRIZ can prove to hit 7 plus 3's per game, that would be enough for the GRIZ to win the conference tournament. We have yet to see that kind of consistency for more than a few games.

I hate harping on the GRIZ perimeter shooting so much. Fortunately, it is the only weakness this team has. Most teams have multiple weaknesses. Unfortunately, an inconsistent perimeter game is difficult to overcome in today's game. I am hoping the GRIZ find themselves again, and be the team they are capable of being. The next 3 games will be interesting.

I may be way off base here on the opponents sagging the paint on the Griz, but could they be able to combat it (open the paint back up) by taking longer, mid range jumpers (between 15-17' instead of 3's)? Rorie has a great mid-range game, and Pridgett is pretty solid as well - you'd think Falls would be able to knock some down as well. You wouldn't think they'd have to do much to open back up again - but I could be wrong.

Would be interesting to know from those who played / coached on various levels if there is stuff you could run that would be similar to kicking out and taking 3's, but instead kicking out and taking more mid-range jumpers.

I guess, I'm thinking what the Pistons ran when Rip Hamilton was playing with them, only running it for a few guys (Rorie, Pridgett, Falls) instead of just one.

Back