• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GRIZ/EWU

mtgrizrule

I am really looking forward to this game. Not just because it is EWU, but I am really having a difficult time getting a grasp of where EWU truly ranks in the Big Sky this season. I've watched them 3 times online this season. They are so damn inconsistent on both offense and defense from game to game.

Anyway, my schedule is open to make this game. I'd really like to car pool with someone, rather it be me driving, or them, it doesn't matter. I'd have to be back for work Saturday night. Is anyone up to attending this game, even if it is a quick turnaround? I could possibly line up a place for us to stay.

Its game day! Great story by Frank Gogola in today's paper on Rorie.
http://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/montana-grizzlies-point-guard-ahmaad-rorie-zoning-in-on-leadership/article_87055946-32e0-5f1f-9abc-9b0f5a543d99.html

ESPN has Montana as 3.5 point favorites with a 51% chance of winning (about as even as I've seen lately).

Haslametrics has Montana as 5.5 point favorite.

The data shows that this game is basically a draw. Whoever executes better takes the W. I hope the Sac St. scare provides a little fire for the Griz.

Jaredkuehn said:
ESPN has Montana as 3.5 point favorites with a 51% chance of winning (about as even as I've seen lately).

The data shows that this game is basically a draw. Whoever executes better takes the W. I hope the Sac St. scare provides a little fire for the Griz.

I agree. That close call with Sac at home has to light a flame under them. I have a feeling they’ll come out with that frantic energy they lacked. Go Griz!

...play that tenacious defense...
...everything else falls into place...
...you got to like the griz'z chances...

... :cool: ...

Jaredkuehn said:

I got Montana - 4 it was 3.5 this morning. Idaho -10 against cats and NAU +15.5 against UNC. I will be avoiding the BSC tonight :shock:

EWU needs several things to go right to win. I would imagine DeCuire will try and slow up Bogdan Bliznyuk because most everything goes thru him. If that happens EWU will have to hit their three's. I believe EWU has a pretty good defense but Montana has so many weapons with Rorie (and his 3's), Oguine and Akoh a handful that slowing down that crew will be key. If rebounds are equal EWU does have a chance against a good Griz squad. Watch for Mason Peatling battling underneath vs Akoh and that will be fun...and watch Sir Washington as he may go 1-9 again tonite playing himself in streetball fashion. EWU wins by 2 at home or drops a load by 15.

Obzerver said:
EWU needs several things to go right to win. I would imagine DeCuire will try and slow up Bogdan Bliznyuk because most everything goes thru him. If that happens EWU will have to hit their three's. I believe EWU has a pretty good defense but Montana has so many weapons with Rorie (and his 3's), Oguine and Akoh a handful that slowing down that crew will be key. If rebounds are equal EWU does have a chance against a good Griz squad. Watch for Mason Peatling battling underneath vs Akoh and that will be fun...and watch Sir Washington as he may go 1-9 again tonite playing himself in streetball fashion. EWU wins by 2 at home or drops a load by 15.

I think this prediction is accurate. It's either close by EWU or Griz blow them out. Griz are a better team. Watched quite a bit on Pluto and EWU has good players but not as deep or overall talented. They do get hot and can make runs. I think the key...again...will be foul calls. If it continues to be 74 fouls a game, who the crap knows who wins!

The road to Reno goes through Cheney.

Of course, it's a dusty dirt road with little more than a Zips drive-in, but it goes right through there.

only way i see EWU winning this one is if they call fouls on the perimeter and don't down low. Akoh gets fouled about half the time and if he doesn't get the calls he can play poorly. outside if they call our guards then EWU might have luck from deep. officiating will be huge in this game. Griz usually adapt better than most teams but anything can happen in that pit of a city

The Eagles are a good team that plays solid team defense (often a zone). It'll be key for the Griz to get the ball to Jamar Akoh early, or else EWU will pack it in around the key. Regardless, I'm hoping Montana can hit a better percentage from beyond the arc than they did against SAC last week so that they can stretch the Eagles' defense.

Bogdan Bliznyuk, like Sac's Justin Strings, is an all-around point guard/point forward and the 3rd leading scorer in conference play. He's also the best free throw shooter (56-for-57 in conf.) and the second-best assist-disher (4.3 pg) to trigger the Eagles' average of 8 treys per game. Fouls will be important (no sense fouling Bliznuk, it seems), but it's probably more important to keep Eastern's playmaker from dribble-penetration into the key. Bliznyuk will probably get his points, but if Montana can limit Eastern's perimeter shooting, and maintain a rebounding edge, I'm thinking they'll be ok.

We're officially in the stretch... where coaches say good teams have to hit their peak. That often depends more on the players than the coaches. Montana really needs at least a split to keep some distance. No better time than tonight to take that first step. Go Griz.

Obzerver said:

I haven't been able to watch many EWU games this year but did catch the Idaho game. Peatling was pretty impressive in that game in the 19 mins he played. Akoh has him beat by about 35-40lbs I think in weight so it'll be interesting to see how EWU handles that. That matchup along with Krslovic/Moorehead and whoever else DeCuire has on Bliznyuk are going to be fun to watch.

Hoping the Griz will be able to bother Bliznyuk like they did last year @EWU. He had 21 points but took 23 shots. In Missoula (we had no Wright or Rorie unfortunately) he killed us though...28 points, 10 rebounds on only 16 shots. He's a hell of a player. Hasn't missed a free throw since December and I think is on a streak of 50+ in a row now if I remember right (the Idaho announcers mentioned that during the game).

Back