• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Fun article about winning in the tourney

AZDoc

DONOR
Not exactly Griz related...but let's hope so!

https://sports.yahoo.com/much-money-ncaa-tournament-upset-worth-winning-school-033845622.html

AZDoc said:
Not exactly Griz related...but let's hope so!

https://sports.yahoo.com/much-money-ncaa-tournament-upset-worth-winning-school-033845622.html

Thank you for posting this article. One can only dream about the spike in applications, enrollment and merchandise sales at this juncture right now...

The positive impact of successful athletics goes far beyond money collected at the gates. Those students, faculty and administrators who rail against athletics and minimize or discard the value of athletics are narrow minded and ignorant. I have said this before, if we want enrollment to improve, and we all do, support the success of athletics. I believe President Bodnar is currently working on another very important aspect of improving enrollment which is changing academic programs which will allow students to obtain degrees they want and that will allow them to compete for desirable jobs when they complete their education.

Definitely a fun read!

I LMAO at this bit:
Jeff Eisenberg said:
When Middle Tennessee upset Michigan State two years ago, its school bookstore received a surprising number of online orders from customers with Ann Arbor mailing addresses.
Turns out a bunch of Michigan fans figured that wearing Middle Tennessee caps and T-shirts around town was the ideal way to rub the upset in the faces of their friends who support Michigan State.
“For a moment in time, Ann Arbor Michigan was the No. 2 place in the country to find MTSU gear,” Oppman said. “We definitely enjoyed some benefit of the Michigan-Michigan State rivalry.”

IdaGriz01 said:
Definitely a fun read!

I LMAO at this bit:
Jeff Eisenberg said:
When Middle Tennessee upset Michigan State two years ago, its school bookstore received a surprising number of online orders from customers with Ann Arbor mailing addresses.
Turns out a bunch of Michigan fans figured that wearing Middle Tennessee caps and T-shirts around town was the ideal way to rub the upset in the faces of their friends who support Michigan State.
“For a moment in time, Ann Arbor Michigan was the No. 2 place in the country to find MTSU gear,” Oppman said. “We definitely enjoyed some benefit of the Michigan-Michigan State rivalry.”

I did too...thought that was fantastic! Would be poetic justice if Mich St fans could wear Griz gear and that East Lansing would be #2 in Griz sales behind the state of MT!

cmtgrizzly said:
The positive impact of successful athletics goes far beyond money collected at the gates. Those students, faculty and administrators who rail against athletics and minimize or discard the value of athletics are narrow minded and ignorant. I have said this before, if we want enrollment to improve, and we all do, support the success of athletics. I believe President Bodnar is currently working on another very important aspect of improving enrollment which is changing academic programs which will allow students to obtain degrees they want and that will allow them to compete for desirable jobs when they complete their education.

Reading that article and the discussions on this board are exactly why I posted it. I think some of us THINK it may help and others are anti sports, but this is some actual data that shows good things happen with improved sports teams. Imagine if the scats were any good at sports...they'd have 30,000 students!

Piggybacking on this article, I read that the publicity UMBC has generated is pretty impressive.

https://sports.yahoo.com/publicity-umbcs-upset-generated-worth-staggering-amount-money-054324907.html

Let's hope the Griz can break through next season!

Another article about winning... moving on and getting "units" for your conference.

Unfortunately for the Big Sky and other 1 bid conferences... it's tough to get them.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/19/pac-12-basketball-ncaa-tournament-flameout-means-millions-in-unrealized-cash/

AZDoc said:
Piggybacking on this article, I read that the publicity UMBC has generated is pretty impressive.

https://sports.yahoo.com/publicity-umbcs-upset-generated-worth-staggering-amount-money-054324907.html

UMBC's twitter account was off the hook. GREAT social media during that game. :thumb:

AZGrizFan said:
AZDoc said:

UMBC's twitter account was off the hook. GREAT social media during that game. :thumb:

Saw that. They did similar for yesterday's game with Kansas State. Would highly recommend UM think about using that to their advantage as well. Good job by them.

Does the business school have a degree in sports marketing or at least classes in it, social media in business marketing of sports ?

AZDoc said:
cmtgrizzly said:

Reading that article and the discussions on this board are exactly why I posted it. I think some of us THINK it may help and others are anti sports, but this is some actual data that shows good things happen with improved sports teams. Imagine if the scats were any good at sports...they'd have 30,000 students!

Last fall, after South Carolina, both men and women, did so well in the Final Four for each, the University did a survey of all incoming students and showed a large number of students from the NE and Midwest chose to register at USC (Carolina) because of the exposure they had. Out of state kids allowed fees and expenses to actually decrease for some. I have no doubt, the same would be true of the other USC.

Back