• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Montana's D1 Talent

citygriz

No, Montana is not the inner city. It's not Oakland, L.A., Chicago, New York or any other of the major basketball hotbeds in America. But before we write ourselves off completely, let's take stock of the D1 talent, both recent, current and future, that has come out of Montana.
--Ryan Edwards: Good enough to get a scholarship to Gonzaga.
--Tres Tinkle: Oregon State star, nuff said.
--Kendal Manuel: Also Oregon State, so a Pac12 talent by definition.
--Mack Anderson: Future Griz, future star in my opinion.
--Rollie Worster: Another future Griz.
--Phillip Malatare: The book is still out on him but not in my book: He's a D1 talent.
--Brendan Howard: Eastern Washington, they're D1, no?
--Ladan Ricketts: Livingston grad, just finished his first year at Sheridan JC where he started, averaging
11 ppg and shooting 40% on three's. The Cats are hot after him.
--RayQuan Evans: Son of former Griz Israel Evans, failed to qualify academically, so went to
North Idaho JC where he averaged 21.4 per, and had one game of 27 points, 13 boards, ten assists.
--Braxton Hill: Broke the scoring records at Anaconda of two Montana basketball legends, Ed Kalafat
and Wayne Estes. Okay, he'll be playing football, but he's not a D1 basketball talent? C'mon!
No doubt I've forgotten others as well. I'm sure the board will fill me in, quickly.

I remember (when I still can) that Montana Indian Reservation teams had some very good players. Have they stopped playing? If so, that's a shame because they offer so much more to a school than athletic ability.

GrizLA said:
I remember (when I still can) that Montana Indian Reservation teams had some very good players. Have they stopped playing? If so, that's a shame because they offer so much more to a school than athletic ability.

Such as Larry Pretty Weasel and Don Wetzel.

A couple of other guys who were on D1 rosters this year were Daniel Meyer from Billings Central at Omaha and Aaron Weidenaar from Bozeman at Central Arkansas. I agree that Phillip Malatare is a D1 player! I hope someone gives him a chance.

griz71 said:
GrizLA said:

Such as Larry Pretty Weasel and Don Wetzel.

Some pretty good women players came from the Reservations, too.

I thought Evans was a D1 talent when he was in HS. Strong and athletic player. Has had a big year at NIC. Wonder if we are recruiting him?

Latest posts

Back